Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1730 1731 [1732] 1733 1734 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3592381 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25965 on: November 20, 2018, 08:44:35 pm »

I'm not sure how much of it can be blamed on 9/11.  I see the handling of protest as a pretty good thermometer for law enforcement culture.  The Battle in Seattle pre-dates 9/11, but is widely regarded among activists as setting the tone for the 21st century.  Echelon was also widely known as a far-reaching internet surveillance project long before 9/11.

Airport security and counter-terrorism apparatus may not have developed the way it did before 9/11.  But in regards to the general atmosphere of authoritarianism in law enforcement and how those energies have been directed, I think that stuff was already in the works, and 9/11 only provided a convenient pretext to speed up the process.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25966 on: November 20, 2018, 08:46:11 pm »

I was going to say something about you probably meaning coca leaves, but considering the state of the chocolate industry, a little human trafficking and slave labor wouldn't be that far off.
There is a brand of chocolate (Tony's Chocolonely) that specifically guaruntees that it is made without slave labor.

I would say that the chocolate industry has a labor problem.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25967 on: November 20, 2018, 11:40:18 pm »

One of the bigger problems with the police IMO is that they're trained in the same reflex shooting as soldiers are. It's hard for almost anyone to kill deliberately, and easy to kill as a trained reflex. And we demand that police officers be ready to kill people in their duties, so naturally they have to be trained to kill. But once you have a reflex like that, it's not something you can turn off, so the fact that police carry handguns and need to be constantly ready to use them naturally interferes with their ability to perform duties that aren't shooting people.

...And that's why I believe that normal officers shouldn't carry a pistol.

I'm pretty sure soldiers aren't trained to shoot on a hair trigger. Sure, there would be situations where shooting on a hair trigger is needed, but they aren't trained to shoot at everything that moves or spooks them (unless maybe ordered to).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25968 on: November 21, 2018, 12:00:06 am »

Indeed, there is evidence that the veterans of our current wars have superbly developed threat-analysis and de-escalation skills - an obvious asset in an environment where a single mistaken bullet could ignite a firestorm that claims thousands of lives.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25969 on: November 21, 2018, 01:04:10 am »

Indeed, there is evidence that the veterans of our current wars have superbly developed threat-analysis and de-escalation skills - an obvious asset in an environment where a single mistaken bullet could ignite a firestorm that claims thousands of lives.

I'd like to see that evidence; while it makes logical sense, there's also a definite tendency right now for certain segments of the population to lionize the military in general and veterans in particular as fundamentally better than civilians, and this would fit the soldier-as-Übermensch narrative suspiciously well.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25970 on: November 21, 2018, 01:09:41 am »

Or maybe some drug lord just wanted to put a lime in their drink, and hijacking a lime shipment was the most logical course of action they could come up with to that end.

You can't really expect someone who invests in a personal underground lake with gold-plated beluga whales to be the most rational kind of individual.
Yeah but kidnapping people fleeing poverty for ransom money seems like a business endeavour doomed to failure

Everybody always has more money that can be wrung out of them or their relatives and friends when their lives is on the line, or dear ones that can be put to work in order to pay a ransom.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/migrant-caravan-kidnap-mexico-trump-midterm-elections-oaxaca-organised-crime-a8619731.html
Cartels in Mexico City kidnapping migrants for ransom
I question this business plan

Hey a few years ago they were stealing trucks of limes and all I could figure was either, "Cartel block party" or "horrific torture with lime juice and the sun". They don't make sense, they sell drugs.

Reminds me of that time some Swedish motorcycle gang robbed a truck full of cookies/coffee bread and then ran a black market cookie selling ring from their apartment.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25971 on: November 21, 2018, 02:23:17 am »

One of the bigger problems with the police IMO is that they're trained in the same reflex shooting as soldiers are. It's hard for almost anyone to kill deliberately, and easy to kill as a trained reflex. And we demand that police officers be ready to kill people in their duties, so naturally they have to be trained to kill. But once you have a reflex like that, it's not something you can turn off, so the fact that police carry handguns and need to be constantly ready to use them naturally interferes with their ability to perform duties that aren't shooting people.

...And that's why I believe that normal officers shouldn't carry a pistol.

It's gone from Protect and Serve to Execute and Survive.
To Protect and Sever
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25973 on: November 21, 2018, 06:44:14 am »

Confderate

What the hell, Ohio?

1. She still has a slight lead.

2. At least the governor isn't a sociopath.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25974 on: November 21, 2018, 06:46:14 am »

What the hell, Ohio?

America please stop trying to institute sharia law
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25975 on: November 21, 2018, 06:57:06 am »

Mashallah murrica

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25976 on: November 21, 2018, 07:14:09 am »

What the hell, Ohio?

According to this, the general idea is that abortion is allowed(with good reason) before 4 months, though it differs between different madhhab(Malikites forbid it entirely, for example). Even after 120 days, an exception can be made if there is a clear threat to the mother, for example a miscarriage that needs to aborted to save the mother's life.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25977 on: November 21, 2018, 08:08:30 am »

What the hell, Ohio?

According to this, the general idea is that abortion is allowed(with good reason) before 4 months, though it differs between different madhhab(Malikites forbid it entirely, for example). Even after 120 days, an exception can be made if there is a clear threat to the mother, for example a miscarriage that needs to aborted to save the mother's life.

Islam: More equitable and progressive than evangelical American Christians
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25978 on: November 21, 2018, 09:47:29 am »

Your know things are crazy when a pro-life republican governor is threatening to veto a republican anti-abortion bill
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25979 on: November 21, 2018, 01:35:23 pm »

What the hell, Ohio?

Me, a Christain.

You know they're counting on the new balance in the SCOTUS not to strike it down.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 1730 1731 [1732] 1733 1734 ... 3515