Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1809 1810 [1811] 1812 1813 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590488 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27150 on: January 10, 2019, 06:49:03 am »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27151 on: January 10, 2019, 06:56:12 am »

What the actual flying fuck of frankfurt, america??
Creeps putting dicks where they shouldn't might be contemptible, and the occasional subject of an Almodovar's film, but it's neither a political issue, nor specific to the US.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27152 on: January 10, 2019, 07:00:45 am »

True enough, tho it did happen in the US and I felt I kinda filled my WTF thread quota for the day :v
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27153 on: January 10, 2019, 08:05:10 am »

When I read this (a week or so ago), I just kept thinking of Kill Bill, only messed up.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #27154 on: January 10, 2019, 08:05:22 am »

That is sick and wrong on so many levels.
But on the other hand, it's also easy...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27155 on: January 10, 2019, 08:09:56 am »

Man, what.

tl;dr version, there was a TV show episode back in like the fifties of a conman trying to grift a town into building a wall. The friggin' near-prescient part of it? The grifter's name was Trump. Not a donald, but... still. Still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27156 on: January 10, 2019, 08:18:34 am »

Man, what.
The apocalyptic cosmic explosions are not bringing their best. Sad!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27157 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:18 am »

So I've heard Mueller might be wrapping up the investigation in March.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27158 on: January 10, 2019, 10:13:58 am »

From where?  I feel like I've been seeing that the investigation would wrap up in a month or two for over a year now.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27159 on: January 10, 2019, 10:17:51 am »

From Pete Williams' anonymous sources via Rachel Maddow, right?

When someone claims to have momentous news about a historically leak-proof operation, it's wise to distrust it a priori, particularly when it's about something as nebulous as intentions rather than facts. In this particular case, there's also the complicating factor of Barr's appointment to Attorney General and Rosenstein's subsequent resignation. It may simply be that, for example, Mueller is prepared to end in March if it appears that Barr will shut down the investigation.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27160 on: January 10, 2019, 10:19:22 am »

I wouldn’t take any predictions of Mueller wrapping up in x month seriously until he says he is wrapping up. The grand jury thing was just extended by another six months, he might need all of those six months.

It does seem like they’re past the halfway point though and I think they started drafting the report a month ago.

And Trekkin has a point here too, given how leak proof it’s been, every speculation has been interpretation of their visible actions. So, it’s not wrapping up until Mueller or his team says they are.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:24:22 am by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27161 on: January 10, 2019, 01:23:27 pm »

Pure speculation, but I imagine Mueller recognizes he's going to have to have some solid charges for anything to make a difference before the next election, unless the status quo changes in congress. I'm sure he's ready to wrap it up any time he needs to, but he'll probably hold off at least until the 2020 campaigning starts in earnest, if possible.

Part of a prosecutor's job is not just bringing charges and arguing a case, but to make sure the case evidence allows for appropriate punishments to be instated once the conviction goes through. I think he realizes impeachment is a long shot, as things stand and that the best way a sentence could be carried out would be through the election.

That said, I think Trump has done a pretty good job discrediting Mueller among his base, and it's still going to be the job of the opposition to put up a viable candidate(or, arguably, Republicans to run against their own incumbent. I'd like to see that, honestly, but wouldn't bet on it.), but impeachment just ain't happening in the next 2 years.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27162 on: January 10, 2019, 01:50:30 pm »

God dammit the future turned out so weird.

I read "Barr" in this post:

From Pete Williams' anonymous sources via Rachel Maddow, right?

When someone claims to have momentous news about a historically leak-proof operation, it's wise to distrust it a priori, particularly when it's about something as nebulous as intentions rather than facts. In this particular case, there's also the complicating factor of Barr's appointment to Attorney General and Rosenstein's subsequent resignation. It may simply be that, for example, Mueller is prepared to end in March if it appears that Barr will shut down the investigation.

I've got no other context for who Barr might be so my brainmeats suggested "Roseanne Barr" and you wanna know what ended up flagging that as dubious[citation needed] in my head?

It wasn't the idea that she would randomly pop up in a high ranking position in the Trump administration, oh no, that doesn't even ping low level shit like my spellchecker loops.

No, it was the weirdness of her going by 'Barr' that triggered a full context check leading to the conclusion that it is most likely not Roseanne barring additional information which may confirm said hypothetical.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27163 on: January 10, 2019, 01:59:37 pm »

That said, I think Trump has done a pretty good job discrediting Mueller among his base, and it's still going to be the job of the opposition to put up a viable candidate(or, arguably, Republicans to run against their own incumbent. I'd like to see that, honestly, but wouldn't bet on it.), but impeachment just ain't happening in the next 2 years.

His removal from office is probably unlikely, but I think the House has painted itself into a corner on impeachment itself; not only do they have the votes to impeach him, they've also run on promises to reassert their oversight powers. For impeachment not to happen, either none of the 85+ investigations the House plans to launch discovers any impeachable conduct on Trump's part or the House decides to abrogate its constitutional responsibility at considerable political cost. Some 80% of Democrats want Trump impeached, and Pelosi is reacting mostly by deferring judgement until the facts come out.

Plus which, there's some utility in bringing charges before the Senate even if they're unlikely to convict; it throws into sharp contrast every individual Republican senator's willingness to ignore Trump's various offenses and the timing's likely to facilitate their opponents campaigning on that. Trump's base isn't big enough for going full-on sycophant to be a winning strategy for the GOP nationally.

EDIT to avoid double-posting: Lindsey Graham is sad because Trump won't accept anything but complete capitulation on the Wall, even from the Senate GOP.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:21:22 pm by Trekkin »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27164 on: January 10, 2019, 06:44:26 pm »

>Roseanne barring
That shit was completely unintentional and I just now fucking noticed it, goddammit is it 2020 yet?
Pages: 1 ... 1809 1810 [1811] 1812 1813 ... 3514