Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1876 1877 [1878] 1879 1880 ... 1901

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 802034 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28155 on: January 11, 2019, 12:18:23 am »

@Trekkin: On #2, theres that revelation from the redaction goof-up just this week. I don't know if that was directly from Muellers team or not, but it certainly reveals that there is much Mueller knows that the public at large doesn't.

Also, the Democrats have said that they'd make every effort to make the report public, and IMO, it should be leaked if it's prevented from being released.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28156 on: January 11, 2019, 11:10:42 am »

@Trekkin: On #2, theres that revelation from the redaction goof-up just this week. I don't know if that was directly from Muellers team or not, but it certainly reveals that there is much Mueller knows that the public at large doesn't.

Also, the Democrats have said that they'd make every effort to make the report public, and IMO, it should be leaked if it's prevented from being released.

I would agree, which is why I think it's worthwhile to try and goad Trump into leaking it. If we make the assumption that something in Mueller's report or the concurrent investigations at least strongly suggests malfeasance on Trump's part, we can expect his defenders to react the same way they have in the past: "The real problem is not these unproven allegations, but rather the traitor/anonymous coward who violated the law and broke with our most sacred traditions and shamed the country and compromised national security (etc.) by leaking it." Giuliani asserts the well is poisoned, Don Jr. tweets something smug asking when the Democrats will investigate the real threat to the nation, Sarah Huckabee Sanders shames the media for reporting the news, Brad Parscale says accusations of treason are an hors d'oeuvre best served in the late afternoon on a bed of carrot foam, Kellyanne Conway calls Jim Acosta a big fat meanypants with no friends, and they collectively try to run out the clock.

If Trump does it, though, they can't complain about it. They can't say these are unsubstantiated rumours when it's the President alleging them, and he of course has the (imagined) absolute right to do whatever he wants, so there goes the moral high ground. It becomes vastly easier to force them to cede control of the narrative.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #28157 on: January 11, 2019, 11:28:02 am »

88 days ago, Jayme Closs's parents were both murdered and she went missing. This morning, she stumbled back into her home town, malnourished, disheveled, and confused.
The town Sheriff and Mayor immediately called a press conference so that they could jack each other off over how the girl's return was entirely because of them, and the power of their prayers. Godsdamn religious people are stupid. I mean, I assume some of them are not completely self-centered and delusional, but a lot of them are just unbelievably stupid.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28158 on: January 11, 2019, 03:06:28 pm »

They only remember the times when it worked, not all the times it didn't work.

Anyways, WSJ (The Hill article though as the WSJ one is paywalled) and Republicans are worried about the precedent that doing a National Emergency to get around congress is going to set and that Democrats could take advantage of it by doing a national emergency on climate change or something. While I think they're hyperventillating somewhat, they do have a point about setting precedent.

Speaking of setting precedents... if the Republicans are so worried about this one, maybe they should have thought twice about some of the recent precedents that they've made, which kind of set things up for this to happen.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #28159 on: January 11, 2019, 03:15:16 pm »

That's a great idea! A national emergency is, if anything, an understatement of Global Warming, so I think that's fair.

This just in, an old man who isn't in the Democratic party says that a popular young democrat isn't the future of the democratic party.
Space 'Murrica! United States of Space! (Stellaris Democratic Succession)

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28160 on: January 11, 2019, 03:19:13 pm »

Man, this shutdown is the bomb.

TLS certificates not renewed, so websites are starting to go offline.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/government-shutdown-tls-certificates-not-renewed-many-websites-are-down/

More than 80 TLS certificates used by US government websites have expired so far without being renewed, leaving some websites inaccessible to the public.
More security news

NASA, the US Department of Justice, and the Court of Appeals are just some of the US government agencies currently impacted

Websites with expired certificates where admins followed proper procedures and implemented correctly-functioning HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security) policies are down for good, and users can't access these portals, not even to browse for basic information.

Government websites with expired TLS certificates but which didn't implement HSTS show an HTTPS error in users' browsers, but this error can be bypassed to access the site via HTTP.

Nevertheless, visitors are warned not to log in or perform any sensitive operations on these sites, as traffic and authentication credentials aren't encrypted and could be intercepted by threat actors.

Visiting and browsing content is fine, but users should also be aware that all websites will not be actively managed and there won't be employees on hand to process requests or update sites with the latest correct information.

The current government shutdown has been a disaster on the cybersecurity front so far. Experts from multiple cyber-security firms have warned that this would be the perfect time for hostile countries to carry out cyber-attacks against the US government, as agencies are understaffed and IT infrastructure is left largely unattended.

SEC out of commission, ruining what was supposed to be a big year for corporations with IPOs. While people might scoff and say screw wall street, it's mainly young and lean start-ups who are hurt by this, as larger companies planning IPOs have the cash to wait it out.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/government-shutdown-could-ruin-big-year-for-ipos--.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:22:02 pm by Reelya »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28161 on: January 11, 2019, 06:01:10 pm »

That's a great idea! A national emergency is, if anything, an understatement of Global Warming, so I think that's fair.

And will it still be fair when the next president unilaterally declares the emergency over and reallocates those funds to the Wall 2.0 or something equally asinine? Will it continue to be fair when Congress reasserts its power of the purse and the bureaucracy bloats under the weight of increasingly specifically appropriated funding, cutting back on needed services? Will you still think it's a great idea when it becomes funded purely at the pleasure of those presently in power?

The most extraordinary exceptions to governmental processes are also the most ephemeral. Don't be so quick to advocate for taking the most extreme measures you know to override everyone else's priorities; once they do it to you and it becomes normal, the resilience lost is not easily regained.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • this isn't an ending. hehe. for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28162 on: January 11, 2019, 06:37:06 pm »

I like when this topic comes up, because I get to link this comic panel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No chain can hold me.
No cell can hold me.
No lock can hold me.
No one can stop me.
Nothing will hold me back from living my life.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
  • U want sum seed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28163 on: January 11, 2019, 06:48:01 pm »

88 days ago, Jayme Closs's parents were both murdered and she went missing. This morning, she stumbled back into her home town, malnourished, disheveled, and confused.
The town Sheriff and Mayor immediately called a press conference so that they could jack each other off over how the girl's return was entirely because of them, and the power of their prayers. Godsdamn religious people are stupid. I mean, I assume some of them are not completely self-centered and delusional, but a lot of them are just unbelievably stupid.

Stupid because they believe as part of their religion that prayers can have positive effects? Somehow this harmless religious belief necessarily implies they are self-centered and delusional? What exactly is your problem with this?
bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod!

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSSESSED] [GUE'VESA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28164 on: January 11, 2019, 07:02:17 pm »

It's pretty harmless to pray when there's nothing to do.  They're claiming that they did their job (which they didn't) through prayer.  At best, they're taking personal credit for a miracle.  At worst, they're justifying their next act of negligence.

It'd be nicer if Tavros showed up again. I miss that guy.
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.
Guardians, Leslie Fish

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28165 on: January 11, 2019, 07:03:44 pm »

That they are taking the credit for something they had nothing to do with, and giving props to an invisible (imaginary, some cynics might say) thing.

The girl got out on her own, found someone to call 911 and then gave enough details to have the guy arrested within 15 minutes. How did prayers help that? How did the promises the sheriffs make help her do that?

I live in Wisconsin. This is the first time Iíve heard anything about the case in two months.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Did you know we have a mafia subforum? Check it out!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
  • U want sum seed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28166 on: January 11, 2019, 07:21:03 pm »

That they are taking the credit for something they had nothing to do with, and giving props to an invisible (imaginary, some cynics might say) thing.

The girl got out on her own, found someone to call 911 and then gave enough details to have the guy arrested within 15 minutes. How did prayers help that? How did the promises the sheriffs make help her do that?

I live in Wisconsin. This is the first time Iíve heard anything about the case in two months.

Well, they donít think itís imaginary, do they? And it could be argued that God helped with her finding someone, and other luck-based things. What is the problem with giving some credit to God, if thatís what they believe?
bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod!

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28167 on: January 11, 2019, 07:26:29 pm »

God also let the girl experience her family being murdered and being kidnapped by the killer, and who knows what else in the ensuing three months. They notably omit that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Did you know we have a mafia subforum? Check it out!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28168 on: January 11, 2019, 07:41:31 pm »

I haven't heard the press conference, are they literally saying it was their work which led to her escape and rescue? Or are they thanking the piles of investigators/police that worked on this in the interim? The first would be shitty, the second would be routine.

Either way I don't see the problem with acknowledging a belief in prayer. Maybe they think they finally prayed enough for God to open a window of escape, I don't know. Taking vocal offense about them mentioning their beliefs to the point where you start broadly painting all religious people everywhere as stupid and self-centered is.... stupid and self-centered. Additionally, maybe let's not turn this into a place to discuss God is real or not, yeah? This is Ameripol. The point is they can believe what they want, and absolutely no part of this thing was damaged by Mayor/Sheriff whatsisname except that you were reminded that religion exists.

Also, I've heard about it as recently as yesterday, and before that was last week in my Facebook feed. That was not the first time I'd heard about it, either, so I don't think they had stopped trying, if that's what's being implied there.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28169 on: January 11, 2019, 07:52:01 pm »

And will it still be fair when the next president unilaterally declares the emergency over and reallocates those funds to the Wall 2.0 or something equally asinine? Will it continue to be fair when Congress reasserts its power of the purse and the bureaucracy bloats under the weight of increasingly specifically appropriated funding, cutting back on needed services? Will you still think it's a great idea when it becomes funded purely at the pleasure of those presently in power?

The most extraordinary exceptions to governmental processes are also the most ephemeral. Don't be so quick to advocate for taking the most extreme measures you know to override everyone else's priorities; once they do it to you and it becomes normal, the resilience lost is not easily regained.
Ayiyiyi! PTTG?? isn't the one advocating for using a national emergency to get around the constitutional process, that's the current President! Democrats are the ones saying "Well if you want to go down that road, we'll start making our list (perhaps checking it twice)." to spook the man out of it. He seems, for now, sufficiently spooked, since at least some Republicans seem capable of thinking past the immediacy of the Trump Presidency that this may be a Bad Idea. This does mean we have no solution, nor a prospective solution, to the shutdown.

Related: it's now the longest shutdown in history! Yay! Unfortunately, due to unforeseen budgeting issues I've left my party supplies elsewhere, so you'll have to simply imagine an animated gif or two of party streamers coming down.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1876 1877 [1878] 1879 1880 ... 1901