Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1812 1813 [1814] 1815 1816 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534535 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27195 on: January 11, 2019, 08:46:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the American response to Nazism should involve an M1 Garand, not voting him to the house of representatives.

To be clear, I'm not advocating that anyone assassinate Representative Steve King with an M1 Garand, which can be obtained through the CMP (civilian marksmanship program) and gun shows, and uses the 30–06 Springfield cartridge. I'm just saying that Representative Steve King shares many ideological traits with the sorts of people whom many Americans rightly considered it their duty to shoot with M1 Garands in the past. I think that taking violent action against an elected representative would be illegal, harmful, and messy, and it would have severe negative consequences for the nation.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27196 on: January 11, 2019, 08:52:46 pm »

You know what? If Trump were willing to trade real climate change solutions for the wall, I'd say go for it. Granted, Trump loves the idea of Coal almost as much as his wall, so that's not going to happen, but at least from a personal standpoint, I think I've found my tipping point for what would get me in support of a wall.

I mean, all assuming we could hold them to anything they promise... but in a better world...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #27197 on: January 11, 2019, 08:54:54 pm »

The Republicans (some, I should say) in Texas tried to oust the vice chair of a county party ‘cause he’s a Muslim.

Gotta stand up for dem principles by violating dem principles, or something.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27198 on: January 11, 2019, 09:02:32 pm »

You know what? If Trump were willing to trade real climate change solutions for the wall, I'd say go for it. Granted, Trump loves the idea of Coal almost as much as his wall, so that's not going to happen, but at least from a personal standpoint, I think I've found my tipping point for what would get me in support of a wall.

I mean, all assuming we could hold them to anything they promise... but in a better world...

I expect the Democrats would be willing to make some kind of compromise too if he wasn't getting up and stomping out of the room immediately after asking if he was getting 100% of everything he wanted, like a good negotiator the best negotiator President we've ever sheen should be doing, obviously.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:08:23 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #27199 on: January 11, 2019, 09:14:56 pm »

I haven't heard the press conference, are they literally saying it was their work which led to her escape and rescue? Or are they thanking the piles of investigators/police that worked on this in the interim? The first would be shitty, the second would be routine.

Either way I don't see the problem with acknowledging a belief in prayer. Maybe they think they finally prayed enough for God to open a window of escape, I don't know. Taking vocal offense about them mentioning their beliefs to the point where you start broadly painting all religious people everywhere as stupid and self-centered is.... stupid and self-centered.

The press conference was not thanking people for their hard work; it was very much an extensive listing of all the people whose efforts were utterly fruitless, and crediting them for the girl's escape because they also happened to be praying.
The prayer thing is firstly absurd. I'm not trying to pass judgement on faith in the supernatural here; I am saying that the act of thanking and praising a deity who just allowed a 13 year old girl's family to be murdered and her to be held and abused for three months is ridiculous. They should not be praising, but cursing this wretched god they choose to believe in.
Secondly, implying that prayer was directly linked to this girl's release is justification for their own inadequacy. All of these people failed to find the missing girl. They need to be figuring out how they can do better next time, not praising themselves for a job well done.

That's a great idea! A national emergency is, if anything, an understatement of Global Warming, so I think that's fair.
And will it still be fair when the next president unilaterally declares the emergency over and reallocates those funds to the Wall 2.0 or something equally asinine? Will it continue to be fair when Congress reasserts its power of the purse and the bureaucracy bloats under the weight of increasingly specifically appropriated funding, cutting back on needed services? Will you still think it's a great idea when it becomes funded purely at the pleasure of those presently in power?

If national emergency protocols are used build a wall, we lose a relatively small chunk of monies and get a monument to our own stupidity.
If national emergency protocols are used to address global warming, we just might manage to narrowly avoid a continent that is half underwater, and half scorched earth.
We shouldn't be afraid to invoke the national emergency in a real emergency, just because it might later be used for non-emergencies.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27200 on: January 11, 2019, 09:29:34 pm »

That's a great idea! A national emergency is, if anything, an understatement of Global Warming, so I think that's fair.
And will it still be fair when the next president unilaterally declares the emergency over and reallocates those funds to the Wall 2.0 or something equally asinine? Will it continue to be fair when Congress reasserts its power of the purse and the bureaucracy bloats under the weight of increasingly specifically appropriated funding, cutting back on needed services? Will you still think it's a great idea when it becomes funded purely at the pleasure of those presently in power?

If national emergency protocols are used build a wall, we lose a relatively small chunk of monies and get a monument to our own stupidity.
If national emergency protocols are used to address global warming, we just might manage to narrowly avoid a continent that is half underwater, and half scorched earth.
We shouldn't be afraid to invoke the national emergency in a real emergency, just because it might later be used for non-emergencies.

The key word there being if. As in, if the successor to whichever administration did that didn't immediately shut down those efforts just to thwart their opponents and claim the institutional high ground, and if the uncertainty surrounding that possibility didn't render those efforts ineffectual in the first place.

I'm not arguing that global warming isn't a crisis worthy of overwhelming governmental resource allocation. My point is that it cannot be effectively addressed by executive fiat, because anything that can be undone by further fiat cannot credibly make long-term plans. If nobody involved knows whether they'll have a job tomorrow it becomes much harder to work with people.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27201 on: January 11, 2019, 09:47:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the American response to Nazism should involve an M1 Garand, not voting him to the house of representatives.

To be clear, I'm not advocating that anyone assassinate Representative Steve King with an M1 Garand, which can be obtained through the CMP (civilian marksmanship program) and gun shows, and uses the 30–06 Springfield cartridge. I'm just saying that Representative Steve King shares many ideological traits with the sorts of people whom many Americans rightly considered it their duty to shoot with M1 Garands in the past. I think that taking violent action against an elected representative would be illegal, harmful, and messy, and it would have severe negative consequences for the nation.

I think the CMP ran out of Garands years ago.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27202 on: January 11, 2019, 09:57:11 pm »

Doesn't look like it. Some models or somethin' are sold out, but it seems like there's still active offers.

Uh, not to be supporting the message quoted or anything. My still living grandfather is a WW2 vet, but he was navy and it's a lot harder to get your hands on an offshore bombardment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27203 on: January 11, 2019, 11:02:40 pm »

It was the 1903 Springfields that I was thinking of. They're completely out of those.

Although they didn't have some of the cheaper grade Garands last time I looked. They must have dug some up somewhere.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27204 on: January 11, 2019, 11:42:54 pm »

The Republicans (some, I should say) in Texas tried to oust the vice chair of a county party ‘cause he’s a Muslim.

Gotta stand up for dem principles by violating dem principles, or something.
That is hilarious. Including the 'what she called a "stealth jihad" and "Leftist/Shari'a Zuckerberg-ization of Tarrant County".' bit.

Briefly back to the "thoughts and prayers" leading to a divine result, reminds me somewhat of a skewed version of https://truthbook.com/stories/funny-god/the-drowning-man (that's just the first link with the tale I was looking for, I actually probably wouldn't trust that domain to host anything else so intentionally entertaining).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #27205 on: January 12, 2019, 12:21:11 am »

Some kind of sick bastard cut down joshua trees in Joshua Tree national park. I ask, why?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27206 on: January 12, 2019, 12:34:27 am »

"DERP, I REFUSE to PAY for firewood in the middle of a gorram forest!"

More than likely.

(See also, "You cannot bring wood!" because of tree parasites being imported, along with "YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO NON-DESTRUCTIVELY TAKE WOOD, QED!" which leaves the only option of "Look, if you MUST have a campfire, buy wood from *US*, OK?  We have taken precautions to assure it is wood parasite free, and using it wont result in our trees being denuded of all their limbs and or cut down." Throw in a "We cannot actually enforce this, because Orange Hitler has cut our funding, and no rangers are patrolling." and you get situations like this one.)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #27207 on: January 12, 2019, 12:50:57 am »

'what she called a "stealth jihad" and "Leftist/Shari'a Zuckerberg-ization of Tarrant County"'
This is what Trevor Noah once referred to as "conservative slam poetry."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27208 on: January 12, 2019, 12:55:53 am »

wait.. wait.. wait---

I am having flashbacks to Occupy.  Didn't the GOP proudly preach that the Occupy kids did not know what it was they wanted, and or-- "They just want free stuff!" right?

So uhm...

Here's the GOP not knowing what the fuck it is talking about (Sharia law is about as far removed from Leftism as you can possibly get, politically. It has MUCH more in common with the dark-age christianity that they seem so addicted to-- and what does that even have to do with Zuck? I thought the GOP **LOVED** Zuck, because he is a blood sucking plutocrat just like they are, willing to sell the american public out for money-- How does that not align with their goals again?), and clearly not knowing what it wants really.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27209 on: January 12, 2019, 01:02:23 am »

I'm guessing "Zuckerberg-ization" refers to censorship, like what the GOP was grilling him on during his testimony.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 1812 1813 [1814] 1815 1816 ... 3511