Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1836 1837 [1838] 1839 1840 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3589733 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27555 on: January 23, 2019, 10:48:30 am »

I dunno man, artificial womb technology sounds like an affront to all that is holy and good there will be friction adopting even that as an alternative.  The whole thing will look inhuman, if you get what I mean. 
(I don't feel that way, but there will be people who do.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27556 on: January 23, 2019, 10:52:14 am »

Then the concern may become that there will be a massive influx of orphan children waiting for foster homes that may never come. I think there'd need to be massive investment in orphanages and other services for taking care of all these parentless children; so they don't just grow up to be maladjusted adults.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27557 on: January 23, 2019, 10:54:28 am »

One could make the argument that it would allow for governments run by minority extremist groups getting in a lucky vote, but the current system doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of defending against that either eh wot?

We're talking presidential elections?

At least with the American voting system, it increases the odds of someone other than a Democrat or Republican winning from incredibly tiny to a slightly higher number that might almost matter since the electoral college doesn't act as a direct filter.  That in turn also increases the odds of lunatic fringe groups from getting an elected president from zero to merely zero plus epsilon.

In practice, such groups would never get elected anyway since the total number of election events would be so small as for them to not matter, but it would become possible in theory where it basically isn't possible now.  And if people knew it worked this way, it would increase the number of people voting for lunatic fringe candidates for the lulz.

In general I don't think it would be a good idea at all compared to alternatives, but it does have the benefit of helping to remove the deadlock of a two party system.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27558 on: January 23, 2019, 11:25:02 am »

One could make the argument that it would allow for governments run by minority extremist groups getting in a lucky vote, but the current system doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of defending against that either eh wot?

We're talking presidential elections?

At least with the American voting system, it increases the odds of someone other than a Democrat or Republican winning from incredibly tiny to a slightly higher number that might almost matter since the electoral college doesn't act as a direct filter. That in turn also increases the odds of lunatic fringe groups from getting an elected president from zero to merely zero plus epsilon.

In practice, such groups would never get elected anyway since the total number of election events would be so small as for them to not matter, but it would become possible in theory where it basically isn't possible now.  And if people knew it worked this way, it would increase the number of people voting for lunatic fringe candidates for the lulz.

In general I don't think it would be a good idea at all compared to alternatives, but it does have the benefit of helping to remove the deadlock of a two party system.

@bolded: From some points of view, one could argue that lunatic fringe groups have already elected a President. Yes, I'm talking about Trump. I know it wasn't exactly lunatic fringe, but as I said, from some points of view it's pretty close.

Also, Kagus's idea sounds to me like taking the choice completely out of voters hands, making the vote not matter. editwhiletyping: A thought occured to me, it seems like it might make vote rigging a hell of a lot easier because it'd be harder to tell rigging from sheer random chance.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:28:11 am by smjjames »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27559 on: January 23, 2019, 11:42:17 am »

I am just waiting for artificial womb technology to advance enough to fully sustain a developing fetus from fertilization to full-term.  To me, that will be the point where society has to wake up to the shit pot it has been stirring on this issue.

When that happens, many of the reasons to get an abortion will be completely negated;  Dont want it in your body? Sure-- we will put it in this little tissue filled pouch and feed it nutrient solution for the rest of its gestation. You dont suffer the effects of being pregnant, and the fetus does not need to be terminated. Got pregnant accidentally, but it is not medically safe for you to be pregnant? Same thing! We can put it in a little tissue lined pouch, and you walk out no longer in danger of being killed by the pregnancy. Hooray for science!

I know this is the standard pop science understanding, but suggesting exowombs as a way to advance the reproductive rights debate suffers from the same problem as suggesting space colonization as a solution to overpopulation: they require a solution to the very problems people purport to solve with them in order to be practicable. (There's also a problem with how much more difficult such a procedure would be than a chemically induced abortion, but I've already talked about how thorny that is.)

See, what gets lost in the just-imagine futurism is that exowombs not only open the door to previously impossible kinds of eugenics, they effectively mandate them. I don't mean termination; they allow easier fetal monitoring, to be sure, but emptying the thing into biohazard disposal is just abortion with extra steps anyway. The more fundamental problem is the epigenetic effect of maternal environment on fetal development, because there is no "neutral" setting; the contents of that nutrient solution influence the resultant child in ways we understand, and can therefore manipulate, with more finesse every day. Some of these are relatively benign. It would be relatively unobjectionable to minimize the risk of partly heritable diseases in later life, but other knobs are not so agreeably turned. Cosmetic characteristics, for example, or the biological influences on sexual orientation and gender identity -- which, again, will necessarily be affected somehow, some way, relative to the spectrum of environments available to viviparous babies. Now consider that, for this to be workable on the level of individual patients, it's going to require subsidizing the cost of running an expensive machine for prolonged periods, because poor people cannot afford nine months of cell culture on (metaphorical) steroids, which means that at some level we have to accept de facto government control for at least some portion of exowomb users.

In combination, the result is this: a national debate that will be understood by many as "how LGBT should we make poor people's babies using lots of your tax dollars and our abominate robotic mockeries of humans?"

That's not a debate we are ready to have yet, I think.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27560 on: January 23, 2019, 11:52:15 am »

By the time such exowombs are feaseable for the whole 9 months, I think we as a global (and probably multiplanetary by then) society would have dealt with some of those eugenics questions. For now, it remains in the realm of sci-fi and transhumanism philosophy.

In actual political news, Pete Buttiigieg joins the 2020 Democratic primary.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27561 on: January 23, 2019, 12:01:18 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27562 on: January 23, 2019, 12:13:48 pm »

On a similar note, Kamala Harris is officially running now.

This had to be the least African afto-american in the world. Single drop racism strikes again!

Buttiigieg

I have a new favourite candidate
Love, scriver~

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #27563 on: January 23, 2019, 12:20:10 pm »

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27564 on: January 23, 2019, 01:47:35 pm »

Ok, so there we have the "aligns with all traditional DNC guidelines" candidate.

Basically a far more likable Hillary is what she feels like to me.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27566 on: January 23, 2019, 02:42:40 pm »

I can't decide what to make of that, and for the moment will hold the claim that the president or his lawyer have made direct threats with the same skepticism I held the claim that Trump ordered Cohen to lie to Congress.

On one hand, I fully believe it's something Trump the person would do.  And I fully accept that Trump doesn't care that he's the president when he does things.  But I just can't quite believe that he would be stupid enough to make credible threats against Cohen or his family in his position.  Not even Trump.

But yet, I can't imagine Cohen would say the president or his lawyer made the threats without some evidence.  I sincerely hope he has that evidence if this is true.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27567 on: January 23, 2019, 02:46:42 pm »

The only reason I can think of for him to delay is if Trump is dangling a pardon in front of him, but if that's the case, claiming to be threatened by Trump is beyond counterproductive.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27568 on: January 23, 2019, 02:49:29 pm »

Option A: It's bull and he's in full-panic delay-the-consequences-at-any-cost mode/crazy person meltdown mode.

Option B: This is a real thing that Trump has done.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27569 on: January 23, 2019, 02:55:30 pm »

B seems more likely than A at this point; as I understand it, he doesn't delay his incarceration by delaying his testimony, and it's hard to see what else he would have left to lose that would not have barred him from agreeing to testify in the first place.

Incidentally, Pelosi just kicked Trump out of her House for the State of the Union.
Pages: 1 ... 1836 1837 [1838] 1839 1840 ... 3514