Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1839 1840 [1841] 1842 1843 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532896 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27600 on: January 23, 2019, 07:49:35 pm »

In which case, (unless it decays SOO rapidly that containment is a very serious issue), casting it into a glass containment block, and using it as a radioactive heat source for space probes looks like a potentially beneficial way to get rid of it.   Not everything you would put an RTG into needs to have humans around it. (but yeah, electronics dont like high energy particle bombardment either.)

Using it in space kind of has problems. Presumably it would weigh more than whatever normally powers a nuclear plant, and in rocket launches that means that it's more expensive. I have no idea what the math actually looks like, but I'd guess that even if nuclear waste is way, way cheaper than actual fuel, using it would end up costing more in the end as you have to pay for the extra fuel to get it into orbit.
Of course there's the fact that rocket launches are hard enough as-is without also having to deal with literal deadly radioactive waste in the payload, and the fact that if your rocket happens to explode shortly after launch, as rockets sometimes do... congratulations, you just dirty bombed yourself!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27601 on: January 23, 2019, 09:21:25 pm »

So, what's a little nuclear waste between friends?
What's up with those sensational article titles at the end? :P

Haley: U.S. Would Have ‘Totally’ Gone to War With N.K. if they launched a nuke at us first
Trump 2016 Election Win Linked to Voters Fearing Death rates and healthcare, because they're correlated to hopelessness
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27602 on: January 23, 2019, 10:50:32 pm »

This is a bit of a dumb question... and admittedly so.

I understand that things can be lethally radioactive without being thermally exciting. (say for instance, rapidly decaying gamma emitters, or highly bio-absorbed materials like radioactive iodines)  However, that does not sound like what is being discussed here. It sounds like they are discussing the crud left over from spent fuel rods, or the crud left over from centrifuging yellow cake uranium, and pals.  In those cases, the material emits radiation of kinds that ARE thermally exciting.

In which case, (unless it decays SOO rapidly that containment is a very serious issue), casting it into a glass containment block, and using it as a radioactive heat source for space probes looks like a potentially beneficial way to get rid of it.   Not everything you would put an RTG into needs to have humans around it. (but yeah, electronics dont like high energy particle bombardment either.)

As for the "I am TRUMP! I SMART! I save money by reclassifying glowing glass bricks the same way I classify dirty radioactive gloves, so I can just put it in a hole with some dirt on top!"  Yeah, that is pretty much what this appears to be.

did you hear about the electrical engineer who got kicked out of the speed dating session and arrested?

he experienced a singles event upset

Using it in space kind of has problems. Presumably it would weigh more than whatever normally powers a nuclear plant, and in rocket launches that means that it's more expensive. I have no idea what the math actually looks like, but I'd guess that even if nuclear waste is way, way cheaper than actual fuel, using it would end up costing more in the end as you have to pay for the extra fuel to get it into orbit.
Of course there's the fact that rocket launches are hard enough as-is without also having to deal with literal deadly radioactive waste in the payload, and the fact that if your rocket happens to explode shortly after launch, as rockets sometimes do... congratulations, you just dirty bombed yourself!

It's been done before.  Cassini had a plutonium RTG and the launch vehicle was designed to eject the fuel before flight termination if it came to that.  It's been used on other spacecraft too, a lot of moon and mars probes.  I don't know if they also had modified flight termination.  Safety concerns add to cost but a long term power source without sunlight is very valuable too.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:58:30 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27603 on: January 24, 2019, 12:28:10 am »

The thing is, sunlight is kind of plentiful in the solar system. The only new use I could see for a long-term low-power energy source beyond solar panels would be basically bootstrapping a camera to an ion engine and a load of Xenon and shooting it off into the depths of space forever more. Which the Voyager probes have already basically done.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27604 on: January 24, 2019, 12:37:02 am »

It's been done before.  Cassini had a plutonium RTG and the launch vehicle was designed to eject the fuel before flight termination if it came to that.  It's been used on other spacecraft too, a lot of moon and mars probes.  I don't know if they also had modified flight termination.  Safety concerns add to cost but a long term power source without sunlight is very valuable too.

Key word there being plutonium, not whatever fuel stays in the raffinate; while Egan_BW is serendipitously correct in asserting that the power output per unit mass is much lower in waste, there's also a complex loss of fuel life, which compounds the mass problem by requiring large and ultimately unnecessary radiators to enable the requisite overload of fuel relative to mission requirements on launch.

In any event, the primary form of risk mitigation in RTG/RHU design has always been the fuel itself; ceramic plutonium doesn't easily shatter into dust, and the iridium coating the pellets serves to contain the fragments if they shatter. Those go into a graphite impact shell, as well. I've not seen any description of a separate eject system for the fuel. Do you have a source for that?

The thing is, sunlight is kind of plentiful in the solar system. The only new use I could see for a long-term low-power energy source beyond solar panels would be basically bootstrapping a camera to an ion engine and a load of Xenon and shooting it off into the depths of space forever more. Which the Voyager probes have already basically done.

Actually, it's not; as you go farther from the Sun, the power per unit area of solar panels decreases with the square of distance. It also requires that the panels face the Sun, which causes both guidance concerns (since you're essentially building a tiny solar sail and also need RCS to keep these big fragile things with a high moment of inertia oriented correctly) and worries about pitting and so forth reducing their effectiveness.

So yes, there's sunlight in space. That does not mean there's enough sunlight in space to power mission hardware that's accessible to a craft doing whatever it's doing, particularly in the outer solar system, let alone for long enough that the panels being blasted away isn't a big deal.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:54:53 am by Trekkin »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27605 on: January 24, 2019, 01:26:32 am »

Plus ion drives are really not feasible for anything yet. The most powerful one we've built so far is able to produce a force of just 5 newtons. With Cassini's mass of 5712 kilograms at launch, that comes out to an acceleration of just around 0.0009 meters per second squared. That means from rest, in the absence of gravity, it would take 25 minutes for it to travel just one kilometer.

As we know, there is gravity within the solar system, and it's much stronger than 0.0009 meters per second squared. Maybe for interstellar voyages?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27606 on: January 24, 2019, 01:32:35 am »

As we know, there is gravity within the solar system, and it's much stronger than 0.0009 meters per second squared. Maybe for interstellar voyages?
Luckily for all the ion thruster-equipped spaceships out there, that's not how orbital mechanics work.
Unluckily for this discussion, it has little to do with ameripol, eh?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27607 on: January 24, 2019, 01:37:48 am »

Luckily for all the ion thruster-equipped spaceships out there, that's not how orbital mechanics work.
Unluckily for this discussion, it has little to do with ameripol, eh?

I was hoping he'd show us where we might find the rockets keeping the planets from falling into the Sun, but yes, until Trump actually creates his version of the Space Force it's only tangentially relevant except insofar as it continues to inform our policies on nuclear energy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27608 on: January 24, 2019, 02:44:40 am »

Ok guys, let's take this one nice and slow and come to a conclusion ahead of time:

Should the USA be involved in Venezuela, and under what circumstances?

I know normally we just go in and bomb the shit out of everything, but I want to try something a little weird this time. We do NOT want a repeat of Somalia, where it was a bad idea to go, a bad idea to stay, AND a bad idea to leave.

I think you mean Iraq, not Somalia, though it’s more a combination of all our screw ups. Probably the only way we get militarily involved is when a South American nation decides to get involved (most likely Brazil, if past rumors were to go on) since South American countries would get pissed, though they’d probably still be pissed anyway.  At least that way, someone else gets left holding the metaphorical bag instead of us.

Anyways, Trump relented and said that he’ll do the State of the Union speech when the government reopens. https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/426717-trump-i-will-do-state-of-the-union-when-the-shutdown-is-over I guess he decided that he wasn’t willing to die on that particular metaphorical hill.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27609 on: January 24, 2019, 03:14:01 am »

Anyways, Trump relented and said that he’ll do the State of the Union speech when the government reopens. https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/426717-trump-i-will-do-state-of-the-union-when-the-shutdown-is-over I guess he decided that he wasn’t willing to die on that particular metaphorical hill.

If he goes somewhere else, Pelosi wins forever. At least this way he can come back and congratulate himself to her face about how accommodating he's been. Calling what the other side is forcing you to do a mutual agreement is a transparent face-saving ploy, but by now he's probably more worried about losing MAGA hats than gaining anyone new, so why not?

Also, any other location would turn the State of the Union into a rally in all but name, and his addresses to the nation haven't moved the needle on the shutdown. He's losing ground, and every time he rides in to call it back and fails, that looks more and more permanent. What else can one do with an unpopular populist but remove him?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27610 on: January 24, 2019, 03:21:23 am »

You know.. Some part of me wants to make and sell NAGA hats.

Not Again Godamit America!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27611 on: January 24, 2019, 03:28:32 am »

You know.. Some part of me wants to make and sell NAGA hats.

Not Again Godamit America!

If you make tiny ones out of foam, filled in so people can adhere them to their pet snakes with peanut butter, you'll sell millions off the pun alone.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27612 on: January 24, 2019, 03:43:06 am »

Vote for Team Reptile, autumn 2020!!

Why settle for anything less than real reptilian overlords?! Get your very own NAGA hat today!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27613 on: January 24, 2019, 11:46:21 am »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27614 on: January 24, 2019, 11:54:18 am »

Oh man, that is... that is really something. It really, really is.
Pages: 1 ... 1839 1840 [1841] 1842 1843 ... 3511