Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1920 1921 [1922] 1923 1924 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534949 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28815 on: March 14, 2019, 06:34:27 pm »

As for everything else you mention, that falls under the category of "making use of the resource".
There really is kinda' a hell of a difference between trying to cobble those resources together yourself (especially in the face of paywalls of various sorts), and having access to a pre-cobbled pile of resources, be they teachers, academic libraries, centralized piles of like-minded individuals, or whatever, though. Those school things, basically.

E: Like, there's a difference between "better than any point in history" and "actually good", y'know? Previous years being horrible fuckmorasses of academic pain for most people doesn't mean we're out of the metaphorical fornicaswamp.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:39:29 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28816 on: March 14, 2019, 10:01:29 pm »

As for everything else you mention, that falls under the category of "making use of the resource".

The implication being that you can just "figure it out for yourself" rather than needing schooling?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28817 on: March 14, 2019, 10:04:04 pm »

The implication being that you can just "figure it out for yourself" rather than needing schooling?
No, the implication is that those are the things schools should be teaching. Schooling at any level should be built around "here are the tools you need to make use of the information" not "memorize all this, then vomit it back at me".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28818 on: March 14, 2019, 10:08:55 pm »

but thinking and asking questions are traits undesired in the next generation of drone underlings.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #28819 on: March 14, 2019, 10:21:32 pm »

There's an ongoing mass shooting situation in Christchurch, New Zealand. At least 2 different mosques have been hit with multiple fatalities.

The entire city is on lockdown, which is being reported as a strong indicator that police have reason to expect the situation will get worse before it's over.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28820 on: March 14, 2019, 10:23:23 pm »

I dunno man. All I can say of my college experience is that my teachers were straight up grateful that I would know answers, ask questions and carry class conversations with them. Kind of pathetically grateful, actually. I'm more likely to assume that teachers are trying to the best of their abilities and students are just incredibly fucking apathetic, than the system is just teaching garbage. I can only point to maybe a couple professors I ever thought were phoning it in, and I could tell because I could skip their classes and pass their tests and they didn't seem to care.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28821 on: March 14, 2019, 10:24:45 pm »

There's an ongoing mass shooting situation in Christchurch, New Zealand. At least 2 different mosques have been hit with multiple fatalities.

The entire city is on lockdown, which is being reported as a strong indicator that police have reason to expect the situation will get worse before it's over.

Should that really be discussed in the Ameripol thread? It is on the other side of the planet, and the only real ways it could be associated with American politics are likely to get really messy quickly.

Not that it is not worthy of discussion - I'm just not sure it is a sensible thing to discuss in this particular thread.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28822 on: March 14, 2019, 10:29:01 pm »

Should that really be discussed in the Ameripol thread? It is on the other side of the planet, and the only real ways it could be associated with American politics are likely to get really messy quickly.

Not that it is not worthy of discussion - I'm just not sure it is a sensible thing to discuss in this particular thread.

We don't really have a NZ or Oceania centric thread, though the closest is a thread on Australian politics.

It could go in the EU/Europe politics thread by way of Australia being in Eurovision....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:36:09 pm by smjjames »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #28823 on: March 14, 2019, 10:52:14 pm »

Well, it is somewhat relevant to local discussions of gun control. One of the big arguments from the left has been that places like Australia got rid of their guns, and have since had virtually no incidents of violence. I'm sure that tomorrow we will be hearing the right say that Christchurch's shooting would have been over much more quickly and with far fewer casualties if they'd had more good guys with guns.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28824 on: March 14, 2019, 11:02:51 pm »

That's the sort of toxicity I'm afraid of. Even leaving aside the toxicity that tends to develop here in such cases, I don't approve of exploiting tragedy for talking points - even when they're talking points I agree with.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28825 on: March 14, 2019, 11:06:45 pm »

It's not really gun control you'd be talking about in this case, anyway. Fucker livestreamed this shit and made it blatantly clear why they were doing it. You're seeing a case of stochastic terrorism going hot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28826 on: March 14, 2019, 11:12:48 pm »

NZ apparently has no gun culture, like, at all. Which will probably confuse conservatives to no end. The question of 'where did they get the guns' is probably more important in this case than elsewhere since it seems like the red flags should have been even more obvious in a place like NZ.

It's not really gun control you'd be talking about in this case, anyway. Fucker livestreamed this shit and made it blatantly clear why they were doing it. You're seeing a case of stochastic terrorism going hot.

I saw references to a video of it going around, but I don't know if it was a bystander or an intentionally planned video set up.

The guy (or guys) apparently had a manifesto about white supremacy and all that, so, pretty clearly terrorism.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #28827 on: March 14, 2019, 11:42:55 pm »

The inspiration for the attack seems to draw from the internet more than any specific cultural thing to NZ.

Shortly before the shooting, someone appearing to be the gunman publicly posted links to a manifesto on Twitter and 8chan, an online forum. The 8chan post included a link to what appeared to be the gunman’s Facebook page, where he said he would soon broadcast live video of the attack.

In his manifesto, he identified himself as a 28-year-old man born in Australia. He listed his white nationalist heroes, described what he said motivated him to attack, and said he purposely used guns to stir discord in the United States around the Second Amendment.

source

Apparently 8chan is where 4chan users go to discuss topics 4chan bans.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28828 on: March 14, 2019, 11:53:42 pm »

The mention of gun culture was just in reference to what Folly said about Australia. As for the guy using guns to sow discord about the second amendment in the US, you can't sow where it's already been sown (or rather, it'd be pointless to. It's an imperfect metaphor). If he REALLY wanted to sow discord over the second amendment, he'd have done it in the US because the gun debate doesn't spike in the same way as it does when we see it happening elsewhere. Seems like whoever said that has a misunderstanding of how it works.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:57:55 pm by smjjames »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28829 on: March 15, 2019, 01:40:12 am »

I don't approve of exploiting tragedy for talking points - even when they're talking points I agree with.

It’s not exactly exploiting tragedy to state what needs to be done to prevent it in the future, is it? The only other option is to dole out thoughts and prayers and move on.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 1920 1921 [1922] 1923 1924 ... 3511