Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1988 1989 [1990] 1991 1992 ... 2118

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 970508 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29835 on: March 14, 2019, 10:52:14 pm »

Well, it is somewhat relevant to local discussions of gun control. One of the big arguments from the left has been that places like Australia got rid of their guns, and have since had virtually no incidents of violence. I'm sure that tomorrow we will be hearing the right say that Christchurch's shooting would have been over much more quickly and with far fewer casualties if they'd had more good guys with guns.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29836 on: March 14, 2019, 11:02:51 pm »

That's the sort of toxicity I'm afraid of. Even leaving aside the toxicity that tends to develop here in such cases, I don't approve of exploiting tragedy for talking points - even when they're talking points I agree with.
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29837 on: March 14, 2019, 11:06:45 pm »

It's not really gun control you'd be talking about in this case, anyway. Fucker livestreamed this shit and made it blatantly clear why they were doing it. You're seeing a case of stochastic terrorism going hot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29838 on: March 14, 2019, 11:12:48 pm »

NZ apparently has no gun culture, like, at all. Which will probably confuse conservatives to no end. The question of 'where did they get the guns' is probably more important in this case than elsewhere since it seems like the red flags should have been even more obvious in a place like NZ.

It's not really gun control you'd be talking about in this case, anyway. Fucker livestreamed this shit and made it blatantly clear why they were doing it. You're seeing a case of stochastic terrorism going hot.

I saw references to a video of it going around, but I don't know if it was a bystander or an intentionally planned video set up.

The guy (or guys) apparently had a manifesto about white supremacy and all that, so, pretty clearly terrorism.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #29839 on: March 14, 2019, 11:42:55 pm »

The inspiration for the attack seems to draw from the internet more than any specific cultural thing to NZ.

Shortly before the shooting, someone appearing to be the gunman publicly posted links to a manifesto on Twitter and 8chan, an online forum. The 8chan post included a link to what appeared to be the gunmanís Facebook page, where he said he would soon broadcast live video of the attack.

In his manifesto, he identified himself as a 28-year-old man born in Australia. He listed his white nationalist heroes, described what he said motivated him to attack, and said he purposely used guns to stir discord in the United States around the Second Amendment.

source

Apparently 8chan is where 4chan users go to discuss topics 4chan bans.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29840 on: March 14, 2019, 11:53:42 pm »

The mention of gun culture was just in reference to what Folly said about Australia. As for the guy using guns to sow discord about the second amendment in the US, you can't sow where it's already been sown (or rather, it'd be pointless to. It's an imperfect metaphor). If he REALLY wanted to sow discord over the second amendment, he'd have done it in the US because the gun debate doesn't spike in the same way as it does when we see it happening elsewhere. Seems like whoever said that has a misunderstanding of how it works.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:57:55 pm by smjjames »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
  • U want sum seed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29841 on: March 15, 2019, 01:40:12 am »

I don't approve of exploiting tragedy for talking points - even when they're talking points I agree with.

Itís not exactly exploiting tragedy to state what needs to be done to prevent it in the future, is it? The only other option is to dole out thoughts and prayers and move on.
bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod!

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29842 on: March 15, 2019, 03:26:31 am »

North Korea expected to suspend nuclear talks with US. Kim will make official announcement soon.

This is of course coming on the back of recent news reports that NK nuclear facilities have resumed operation. They are blaming top US officials for creating an atmosphere of mistrust and hostility during the peace talks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29843 on: March 15, 2019, 03:33:10 am »

They are blaming top US officials for creating an atmosphere of mistrust and hostility during the peace talks.
And while we'll really never know what NK's actual motives are, I'm not exactly doubting that this scenario happened...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29844 on: March 15, 2019, 03:39:08 am »

They are blaming top US officials for creating an atmosphere of mistrust and hostility during the peace talks.
And while we'll really never know what NK's actual motives are, I'm not exactly doubting that this scenario happened...

It's a little bit frustrating when North Korea is on the same level of trust as (a specifically small subsection of) your own government.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29845 on: March 15, 2019, 04:24:18 am »

Well, it is somewhat relevant to local discussions of gun control. One of the big arguments from the left has been that places like Australia got rid of their guns,
(Has anyone yet pointed out that NZ isn't Oz? That confusing the two parallels Canada/US mix-ups. That a Canuck/Kiwi being assumed to be a Yank*/Convict* may eye-roll, but it may positively amuse/amaze each group to be assumed to be the other neighbour, accordingly.)

* I inow not all Yanks were Yankees, etc, but while I'm throwing nicknames around...  ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29846 on: March 15, 2019, 04:38:04 am »

North Korea expected to suspend nuclear talks with US. Kim will make official announcement soon.

This is of course coming on the back of recent news reports that NK nuclear facilities have resumed operation. They are blaming top US officials for creating an atmosphere of mistrust and hostility during the peace talks.
Goodness gracious do the NKs and Murricans need couples counseling

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29847 on: March 15, 2019, 05:43:22 am »

Well, it is somewhat relevant to local discussions of gun control. One of the big arguments from the left has been that places like Australia got rid of their guns...
(Has anyone yet pointed out that NZ isn't Oz?

I honestly thought that NZ was up by Greenland somewhere. When this happened I had to pull up a map, and saw that you were down near Australia, so I just...yeah, I'm sorry.
Geography was never my best subject.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • I have a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29848 on: March 15, 2019, 06:04:18 am »

Well technically Greenland is kind of another kind of New Zealand.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29849 on: March 15, 2019, 06:09:56 am »

I don't approve of exploiting tragedy for talking points - even when they're talking points I agree with.

Itís not exactly exploiting tragedy to state what needs to be done to prevent it in the future, is it? The only other option is to dole out thoughts and prayers and move on.

99% of the time, these tragedies are only used as an excuse to reiterate canned talking points and a pre-existing agenda, even when those talking points have nothing to do with the tragedy in question.
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1988 1989 [1990] 1991 1992 ... 2118