Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1921 1922 [1923] 1924 1925 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534205 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28830 on: March 15, 2019, 03:26:31 am »

North Korea expected to suspend nuclear talks with US. Kim will make official announcement soon.

This is of course coming on the back of recent news reports that NK nuclear facilities have resumed operation. They are blaming top US officials for creating an atmosphere of mistrust and hostility during the peace talks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28831 on: March 15, 2019, 03:33:10 am »

They are blaming top US officials for creating an atmosphere of mistrust and hostility during the peace talks.
And while we'll really never know what NK's actual motives are, I'm not exactly doubting that this scenario happened...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28832 on: March 15, 2019, 03:39:08 am »

They are blaming top US officials for creating an atmosphere of mistrust and hostility during the peace talks.
And while we'll really never know what NK's actual motives are, I'm not exactly doubting that this scenario happened...

It's a little bit frustrating when North Korea is on the same level of trust as (a specifically small subsection of) your own government.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28833 on: March 15, 2019, 04:24:18 am »

Well, it is somewhat relevant to local discussions of gun control. One of the big arguments from the left has been that places like Australia got rid of their guns,
(Has anyone yet pointed out that NZ isn't Oz? That confusing the two parallels Canada/US mix-ups. That a Canuck/Kiwi being assumed to be a Yank*/Convict* may eye-roll, but it may positively amuse/amaze each group to be assumed to be the other neighbour, accordingly.)

* I inow not all Yanks were Yankees, etc, but while I'm throwing nicknames around...  ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28834 on: March 15, 2019, 04:38:04 am »

North Korea expected to suspend nuclear talks with US. Kim will make official announcement soon.

This is of course coming on the back of recent news reports that NK nuclear facilities have resumed operation. They are blaming top US officials for creating an atmosphere of mistrust and hostility during the peace talks.
Goodness gracious do the NKs and Murricans need couples counseling

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #28835 on: March 15, 2019, 05:43:22 am »

Well, it is somewhat relevant to local discussions of gun control. One of the big arguments from the left has been that places like Australia got rid of their guns...
(Has anyone yet pointed out that NZ isn't Oz?

I honestly thought that NZ was up by Greenland somewhere. When this happened I had to pull up a map, and saw that you were down near Australia, so I just...yeah, I'm sorry.
Geography was never my best subject.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28836 on: March 15, 2019, 06:04:18 am »

Well technically Greenland is kind of another kind of New Zealand.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28837 on: March 15, 2019, 06:09:56 am »

I don't approve of exploiting tragedy for talking points - even when they're talking points I agree with.

It’s not exactly exploiting tragedy to state what needs to be done to prevent it in the future, is it? The only other option is to dole out thoughts and prayers and move on.

99% of the time, these tragedies are only used as an excuse to reiterate canned talking points and a pre-existing agenda, even when those talking points have nothing to do with the tragedy in question.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28838 on: March 15, 2019, 06:32:45 am »

I honestly thought that NZ was up by Greenland somewhere.
Newfoundland is 'up near Greenland'. That's probably what you were thinking of. ;)

Things that are New are bad things to guess about based on the name alone. As hinted at by Scriver, (Old) Zealand is in Denmark, for example (given Greenland is/was sorta-Danish), and there's a dozen New Londons dotted around the US, two New Carlisles in the US and one in Canada, New Birmingham is in the Irish Republic (never mind the 'unoriginal' Birmingham in Alabama, a dozen and a half others in North America and even one on the Moon) and New England is somewhat further from England than New Mexico is from Mexico.

(Hey, I'm terrible at many geographical things that you probably know even though they're not even near you, while probably knowing some other far more obscure non-local things from my POV. Just wing it keep on top of the basics and you can hold your own well enough.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:34:20 am by Starver »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28839 on: March 15, 2019, 06:51:43 am »

Iirc New Zealand is named after the Dutch Zeeland because it was a Dutchman who first mapped it out. But the Dutch Zeeland and the Danish Zealand are literally the same words anyway do it doesn't matter much, I'm just being particular. Could also be that I'm misremembering and that it's the other way around.
Love, scriver~

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28840 on: March 15, 2019, 07:09:44 am »

Iirc New Zealand is named after the Dutch Zeeland because it was a Dutchman who first mapped it out. But the Dutch Zeeland and the Danish Zealand are literally the same words anyway do it doesn't matter much, I'm just being particular. Could also be that I'm misremembering and that it's the other way around.
You're correct in that.  It was discovered and named by Abel Tasman, though few of the names he gave these lands ended up being kept by those who followed. New Holland is Australia, Van Diemen's Land became Tasmania, and Staten Island (not that one) became South Island specifically and New Zealand in general (since he was unaware Cook Strait was a strait and not a bight).  The English used to refer to both Zeeland and Zealand as "Zealand"; while they started using the endonym at some point for Zeeland, the same change was never done for Zealand/Sjælland.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28841 on: March 15, 2019, 07:35:54 am »

Lulz

the Cock Strait
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28842 on: March 15, 2019, 07:45:17 am »

And for something more than the filing itself, here you go.
First Hilary's emails, now this.  Its amazing how much conservatives in the USA care about filing paperwork correctly.  As a democrat I have to applaud conservatives who believe that every federal regulation be followed and enforced.  To the letter.  Not like us small government leftists that want people to do whatever they want with their money.

Honestly I admire it.  I was starting to think "conservative ethics" was an oxymoron, but here this conservative ethics watchdog is ready to prove me wrong.

You should also remember then that everyone running against her was guilty of doing exactly the same with their emails. They are concerned with *everyone else* following their rules, so they can have an advantage.

This may seem harsh, and horrible, but I still think it is true:

Not EVERYONE *SHOULD* go to college.  When EVERYONE goes, the college degree becomes the new highschool diploma, with all the dilution that brings, and with even bigger costs on society as the costs of the new baseline education spirals out of control.

Look, I understand that every parent wants their kid to have the very best they can get, but that is not what is healthy for society.   Look at the recent "Admissions for bribes!" scandals that recently came out.  How is that healthy for society?

It's "needed" because it costs money. 1) Money taken in can be stolen or misappropriated. 2) It keeps most of the poors from being able to take part in the economy, which is good because...I'm guessing something to do with Reagan. Probably racism.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:49:49 am by Iduno »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28843 on: March 15, 2019, 10:55:48 am »

Well, it is somewhat relevant to local discussions of gun control. One of the big arguments from the left has been that places like Australia got rid of their guns...
(Has anyone yet pointed out that NZ isn't Oz?

I honestly thought that NZ was up by Greenland somewhere. When this happened I had to pull up a map, and saw that you were down near Australia, so I just...yeah, I'm sorry.
Geography was never my best subject.

Here's the justification for talking about it in here, https://thehill.com/policy/international/434238-new-zealand-suspect-wrote-in-manifesto-he-supported-trump-as-a-symbol-of Not exactly new, but still. All global politics is American these days apparently.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28844 on: March 15, 2019, 11:13:38 am »

There's apparently also been gossip here in Norway that the shooter was in contact with/had talked to Anders Breivik, which Breivik's handlers have stated "isn't possible".

So I'm guessing the dude's probably taken inspiration from/is in contact with/was supported by every white nationalist figurehead he could throw cats at. At least according to himself.

Basically, reaching for attention.
Pages: 1 ... 1921 1922 [1923] 1924 1925 ... 3511