Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1931 1932 [1933] 1934 1935 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534529 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28980 on: March 21, 2019, 02:55:21 pm »

That's at least my understanding of it anyway.  Considering that one cannot place a government into a controlled and repeatable trial, it is hard to hold to the same degrees of confidence that other sciences hold themselves to.  It's a lot more "fuzzy" and less confident as a result.

Well, it's observational science; it's not less confident, just operating under a different statistical framework. Astronomy's the same way.

Incidentally, you could put a government under a controlled and repeatable trial. My IRB just won't let me list mercenaries as senior/key personnel.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28981 on: March 21, 2019, 02:56:01 pm »

But what if it's political science?
Them things what means them words don't sposed ta be t'gether, and my point about consensus is that it is sold to the public as if it were proof which nobody should feel comfortable with unless Popper like beat up your grandmother or something.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28982 on: March 21, 2019, 03:16:30 pm »

That's at least my understanding of it anyway.  Considering that one cannot place a government into a controlled and repeatable trial, it is hard to hold to the same degrees of confidence that other sciences hold themselves to.  It's a lot more "fuzzy" and less confident as a result.

Well, it's observational science; it's not less confident, just operating under a different statistical framework. Astronomy's the same way.

Incidentally, you could put a government under a controlled and repeatable trial. My IRB just won't let me list mercenaries as senior/key personnel.

LOL!!  Boy, you would sure have a hard time recruiting both ends of the experiement!   I can see the want ads now!

"Political scientist seeks participants in a social engineering experiment involving brutal dictatorships and social uprisings.  If you are either a ruthless gun for hire with questionable morals, or an easily brainwashed useful idiot suitable for induction into a simulated resistance movement, contact Evil Sciences Inc. at this address and phone number. Financial compensation available to next of kin upon termination of experiment."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28983 on: March 21, 2019, 03:29:37 pm »

Absolute Monarchy: An easily parsed solution to your governmental needs.

*catchy jingle*
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28984 on: March 21, 2019, 05:00:35 pm »

LOL!!  Boy, you would sure have a hard time recruiting both ends of the experiement! 

See, I had envisioned only recruiting the side with the armaments, but whatever floats your gunboats.

Funny story, though: I actually have looked up the ethical guidelines on this, albeit from a population genomics standpoint. Apparently when they tell you that changes are required if your proposed experiments are likely to raise objections from local governments, they mean changes to the experiments.

Admittedly they don't explicitly say that the installation of technocratic puppet states isn't a valid form of outreach, but it's fairly clear from context.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 05:05:20 pm by Trekkin »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28985 on: March 21, 2019, 05:18:50 pm »

The issue, is that of people not understanding the process going on here, hearing the words "scientific debate", and thinking it is a debate of wits, and not a debate of merits and process validity. It is not "How can I sway everyone to BELIEVE me!?", and instead "have we eliminated EVERY conceivable source of error, or means of falsification in this result?", To which peers of the researcher gets suggestions on additional sources of error or means of falsification, to really and truly nail down the result as a real signal, and not either an experimental error, or a consequence of random chance within the error margin allowed by experimental error. 

I've seen this a lot, often from people who are looking for an easy loophole that will allow something they want to be possible. Many of them are, unsurprisingly, LessWrongers.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28986 on: March 21, 2019, 10:19:07 pm »

To be fair, "no amount of theory matters in the face of a single contradictory experiment" is one of the more perseverant lies-to-children we teach in grade school science classes
I blame Feynman.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28987 on: March 22, 2019, 12:06:13 am »

Well, mathematics beyond logic. If you're trying to do philosophy without logic... I'll let someone else fill in the joke.

You get a speaking slot at CPAC?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28988 on: March 22, 2019, 02:06:20 am »

You get a regular slot on Sean Hannity?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28989 on: March 22, 2019, 02:12:30 am »

You get that everything is water?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28990 on: March 22, 2019, 02:44:16 am »

You get that everything is water?

Philosophy is just water trying to understand water.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28991 on: March 22, 2019, 02:47:34 am »

If water flows to fill any container, what is it doing when it is itself the container? (deep koan parody, inspired by bruce lee quotation)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28992 on: March 22, 2019, 03:18:34 am »

If water flows to fill any container, what is it doing when it is itself the container? (deep koan parody, inspired by bruce lee quotation)

Missing a good opportunity to be alcohol instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_bar

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #28993 on: March 22, 2019, 06:44:51 am »

Certain activities at the Mueller office have led to speculation that the conclusion to his investigation is imminent.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28994 on: March 22, 2019, 06:46:26 am »

Man I can't wait for the Netflix original drama that recounts all this in intimate detail.
Pages: 1 ... 1931 1932 [1933] 1934 1935 ... 3511