Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1940 1941 [1942] 1943 1944 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532854 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29115 on: March 27, 2019, 12:59:03 pm »

He's apparently claiming that the pictures he's showing make as much sense as the Green New Deal does, and that they are equally serious.

It's the Chewbacca defense.

That's basically what I said earlier that he said he is treating it with the ridiculousness that he thinks the GND needs to be given.

I'd totally be fine with the next Democratic President using a national emergency to force the GND (or some version of it) through just to own the cons because we're at that point in politics.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:01:03 pm by smjjames »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29116 on: March 27, 2019, 01:35:32 pm »

I'd totally be fine with the next Democratic President using a national emergency to force the GND (or some version of it) through just to own the cons because we're at that point in politics.

We don't need to be at that point, though. The present attempts by Pelosi to deescalate around the Mueller conclusion are one of the more astute things she's done; sane politics simply doesn't need scandals and theater to be effective. Unfortunately, the Democratic establishment is not well-positioned to espouse reality-based politics, but that is still fixable, and the progressive wing can expedite that process.

The difference between a fight and one asshole randomly punching people is in whether everyone else escalates in kind; if Republicans are simply allowed to make fools of themselves unaided, we'll be going hard left for the next hundred years.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29117 on: March 27, 2019, 01:45:45 pm »

That would require that people not act like complete baboons for at least 15 minutes.

These are politicians we're talking about here. They're professional baboons.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29118 on: March 27, 2019, 01:51:32 pm »

'Allowed to make fools of themselves unaided' would likely involve the Republicans being in power at points, and it'll be pretty hard to not play dirty when the other side is gleefully wallowing around.

The GOP isn't at the point where they face permanent minority status and/or electoral irrelevancy unless they evolve (HAH!), but then again, both sides are going to be doubling down on moving towards the extremes. Given that the political pendulum of who's in power is going to swing wildly from either side, I just wonder what happens if that pendulum breaks.

That would require that people not act like complete baboons for at least 15 minutes.

These are politicians we're talking about here. They're professional baboons.

And the Democrats are what, the posh gentlemanly baboons? lol.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29119 on: March 27, 2019, 01:58:15 pm »

if Republicans are simply allowed to make fools of themselves unaided, we'll be going hard left for the next hundred years.

Republicans make fools of themselves only if people actually perceive them as fools.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29120 on: March 27, 2019, 02:03:56 pm »

'Allowed to make fools of themselves unaided' would likely involve the Republicans being in power at points, and it'll be pretty hard to not play dirty when the other side is gleefully wallowing around.

The GOP isn't at the point where they face permanent minority status and/or electoral irrelevancy unless they evolve (HAH!), but then again, both sides are going to be doubling down on moving towards the extremes. Given that the political pendulum of who's in power is going to swing wildly from either side, I just wonder what happens if that pendulum breaks.

Well, you can use the states as examples (and as mud pits in which they can wallow in quasi-quarantine). There are safe, majority-Republican states, to say nothing of the lame-duck laws they passed in NC and WI among other places. Tariff Man has not been kind to many of their economies.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29121 on: March 27, 2019, 02:04:10 pm »

A grown ass adult man, a career senator, responsible for the direction of the most powerful nation on the planet is fighting global warming with a meme of aquaman.
Specifically he's fighting *for* global warming.  He's using an Aquaman meme to be a Captain Planet villain.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29122 on: March 27, 2019, 02:07:54 pm »

Eh, I meant gleefully wallowing around as in flinging dirt around and generally playing dirty rather than sitting in mudpits or something, or comparing the red states to stinking mudpits.

Speaking of the lame duck laws and stuff, they got knocked down by judges in Wisconsin, not sure about North Carolina though.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29123 on: March 27, 2019, 02:17:36 pm »

Eh, I meant gleefully wallowing around as in flinging dirt around and generally playing dirty rather than sitting in mudpits or something, or comparing the red states to stinking mudpits.

Ah, I meant treating the state legislatures as relatively safe containment tanks in which Republicans confident of their reelection can show all the cartoon slides they like for the rest of us to point and laugh at; that way Democrats can keep majority power (and in so doing blunt a lot of what would otherwise be damaging dirty tricks) and still give Republicans room to be silly.

And yes, the lame duck laws were struck down, but I'd be surprised if the sheer fact they passed wasn't brought up at some point in the campaign.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29124 on: March 27, 2019, 02:24:13 pm »

Probably were, but the lame duck moves were blatant power grabs to take away from the incoming Democratic Governor, which probably factored more into them getting knocked down. Don't know the specifics of the judges reasoning for knocking them down though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29125 on: March 27, 2019, 02:49:28 pm »

I think that's it, the internet has gone to far. I know what has to be done now... we need to blow up Utah.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29126 on: March 27, 2019, 03:00:03 pm »

I think that's it, the internet has gone to far. I know what has to be done now... we need to blow up Utah.
Utah's main exports are mormons and morons. Sadly, if only Reagan's Utahraptor had survived the war, things could have turned out differently for the wayward state...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29127 on: March 27, 2019, 03:08:59 pm »

My new political proposal: launch a nuke in a bunker buster style missile into the most active part of Yellowstone, detonating the Supervolcano. Let nature sort all this bullshit out.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29128 on: March 27, 2019, 03:09:40 pm »

Utah's main exports are mormons and morons. Sadly, if only Reagan's Utahraptor had survived the war, things could have turned out differently for the wayward state...

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29129 on: March 27, 2019, 06:31:50 pm »

"bait" is an interesting spelling of "redundant"

I second turning Utah into U-238tah. As long as we can include Wyoming in the blast radius. I'm not sure anyone would be able to tell the difference affterwards.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 1940 1941 [1942] 1943 1944 ... 3511