Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1989 1990 [1991] 1992 1993 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534053 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29850 on: April 21, 2019, 03:27:54 pm »

In any case, no matter the reason, hope it brings people together then make people fearful

I hope it opens people's eyes to the fact their imaginary friend is never going to intercede on their behalf no matter what horrible things may come at them, and convince them that they need to stop praying and start acting to actually make the world a better place.

But realistically no, they'll probably just do that stuff you said.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #29851 on: April 21, 2019, 06:59:25 pm »

Just because you are correct it doesn't mean people aren't going to get pissed at attacks on their preferred deity.
Be mindful of other people's weaknesses.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29852 on: April 21, 2019, 08:09:02 pm »

Not gonna quote it. But that post also insults all religions, including Islam and many others. Which leads to it to being kind of a racist and a kinda bigot hateful post for someone to make especially with what happened, on a forum that is rather accepting of different cultures, beliefs and religions.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29853 on: April 21, 2019, 08:10:33 pm »

Some troll defender you are...

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29854 on: April 21, 2019, 08:20:53 pm »

Some troll defender you are...

Well my name doesn't mean I defend FORUM trolls and bullies and similar posters :P I came up with it many years ago when I played a game (don't remember the name sadly, it was some magazine disk game and its been too long and could never find it again) where you defended trolls (like actual fantasy trolls) from being killed. Demons from some alternate plane or something would come in from a portal and try to take over or something, don't remember exact details. You couldn't really move or do anything, just point and click at the demons. And then the game would move you to a new area. I've used the name since, though the 99 is just added cause Trolldefender is almost always taken.

But I suppose thats getting off topic for the thread lol. At least a bit more light hearted :P

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29855 on: April 21, 2019, 08:30:42 pm »

@Folly: I get where you’re coming from as far as the thoughts and prayers stuff goes, I dislike that hypocrisy too, but this is completely different from the gun issue here in the US. I’m sure there are some who pray for their souls or whatever, but the problem in the US isn’t trying to pray it away (even if it seems like it at times) it’s political will.

Besides, these are Christians we are talking about here who are most likely getting attacked by non-Christians, who actually worship the exact same god just a different dimensional slice or whatever and doesn’t exist anyway and is a theological debate that should be had in the religion thread.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29856 on: April 21, 2019, 09:48:49 pm »

Sure, we'll just table that discussion until sometime after we talk about gun control. Have the families of the mass shooting victims calmed down enough for us to talk about that yet?

Yes, I'm certain that attacking the families of gun victims for their religion will solve that problem as well.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29857 on: April 21, 2019, 09:54:41 pm »

Not gonna quote it. But that post also insults all religions, including Islam and many others. Which leads to it to being kind of a racist and a kinda bigot hateful post for someone to make especially with what happened, on a forum that is rather accepting of different cultures, beliefs and religions.
"Imaginary friend" is a mocking term, sure.  All but the most Universalist people believe that most deities are imaginary friends, but there are more respectful ways to phrase it.

But uh, I find your logic there a bit frightening.  To mock *all* religions is to insult Islam, so is therefore racist?  And hateful?
I think monotheism is a ridiculous idea.  That doesn't mean I hate monotheists.  I think they're wrong, and I have trouble understanding them.  It certainly doesn't make me racist, right?

I accept religious people, and the ones on Bay12 are generally pretty accepting of me.  It's okay to disagree about important stuff, heh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29858 on: April 21, 2019, 10:09:14 pm »

"Imaginary friend" is a mocking term, sure.  All but the most Universalist people believe that most deities are imaginary friends, but there are more respectful ways to phrase it.

But uh, I find your logic there a bit frightening.  To mock *all* religions is to insult Islam, so is therefore racist?  And hateful?
I think monotheism is a ridiculous idea.  That doesn't mean I hate monotheists.  I think they're wrong, and I have trouble understanding them.  It certainly doesn't make me racist, right?

I accept religious people, and the ones on Bay12 are generally pretty accepting of me.  It's okay to disagree about important stuff, heh.

It was the way he worded it, like (at least how I interpreted it, it can be hard to tell what someone means by text though) they deserved what happened because of their belief. To me the tone of the post was condescending and like the victims deserved it. And goes to mock their "imaginary" god so they deserve it, which means anyone victim of attacks (whether they worship God, Allah or anyone else) deserve it and should "fight back". That part to me sounded rather racist or at least hateful.

Maybe the way I read it was wrong? Again like I said, hard to tell someones tone when reading a post because its just words on a page and you don't know how its supposed to actually sound. But to me, it didn't read like it belonged on this forum with how it seemed to be worded.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29859 on: April 21, 2019, 10:21:18 pm »

I don't know whether you're from the US or not trolldefender99 (people from outside the US are plenty welcome in the thread :) ), but I took it in the context of the 'thoughts and prayers' that keep being issued after a mass shooting and the political inaction that can at times look like the politicians are trying to pray it away rather than take action. His frustration is understandable, if completely misaimed for this situation where I don't see how it's applicable to be frustrated about inaction over 'thoughts and prayers'.

His second post definetly came off as snappy sarcasm to me though

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29860 on: April 21, 2019, 10:28:19 pm »

I don't know whether you're from the US or not trolldefender99 (people from outside the US are plenty welcome in the thread :) ), but I took it in the context of the 'thoughts and prayers' that keep being issued after a mass shooting and the political inaction that can at times look like the politicians are trying to pray it away rather than take action. His frustration is understandable, if completely misaimed for this situation where I don't see how it's applicable to be frustrated about inaction over 'thoughts and prayers'.

I took it as somewhat related to that, too... but more in terms of fundamentalist culture than modern "thoughts and prayers" politics.  There's a deep history of attributing everything to god's will even where human agency is concerned.  Such as.... having the ability to treat an illness, but letting someone die anyway because if god wants them to live, then they'll live.  I felt frustration with that kind of mentality from the post.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29861 on: April 21, 2019, 10:34:36 pm »

I took it as somewhat related to that, too... but more in terms of fundamentalist culture than modern "thoughts and prayers" politics.  There's a deep history of attributing everything to god's will even where human agency is concerned.  Such as.... having the ability to treat an illness, but letting someone die anyway because if god wants them to live, then they'll live.  I felt frustration with that kind of mentality from the post.

Oh okay, I can see how it can be that way now I re-read it. I'm actually from the US, but due to a (private) disability it took me 14 years to learn to read properly. I know how to spell and read these days, as here I am of course. But my comprehension skills can be lacking. It makes it harder because for me I read something and understand it in a 100% opposite way than what the author meant. Knowing how someone sounds and is acting and their tone of voice is much easier than reading someones text. And these days, I do tend to see things in a negative light with all the hatred and racism in the world, and apparently this wasn't how the post intended (besides maybe his follow up post was apparently more sarcastic). I just want things to be united and everyone to work on a goal of space travel or better medicine and cures.

Sorry if I understood it the wrong way. Re-reading it as I said, it does seem like he probably meant it that peoples (for example) "respond with 4 to send prayers and thoughts" that pop up on twitters is pretty useless. Pretty sure its not gonna help the victims, except maybe make people feel better. Instead of taking actual action to make things actually better.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29862 on: April 21, 2019, 10:43:14 pm »

Dyslexia I guess? Anyways, miscommunication happens from time to time, even to those with good reading comprehension skills.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29863 on: April 21, 2019, 11:16:00 pm »

Well, not everything; the American God, it would seem, needs all the help He can get punishing people who don't fit the faithful's vision of America. Against the horrors of the LGBT agenda, the scourge of minorities in general and the grim spectre of any sort of progressivism -- against these, the American God is powerless and the people must pray, vote, and legislate every hateful policy they can imagine into existence. It is only when other people are needlessly dying that thoughts and prayers become a sufficient substitute for actually doing something.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29864 on: April 21, 2019, 11:19:10 pm »

Well, not everything; the American God, it would seem, needs all the help He can get punishing people who don't fit the faithful's vision of America. Against the horrors of the LGBT agenda, the scourge of minorities in general and the grim spectre of any sort of progressivism -- against these, the American God is powerless and the people must pray, vote, and legislate every hateful policy they can imagine into existence. It is only when other people are needlessly dying that thoughts and prayers become a sufficient substitute for actually doing something.

Yeah... action is demanded of the faithful when they need to be his soldiers, but complacency when submitting to his judgment.  But I wasn't going to go there.  I'm not used to such bold candor from you, Trekkin.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 1989 1990 [1991] 1992 1993 ... 3511