Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1997 1998 [1999] 2000 2001 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3535034 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29970 on: April 26, 2019, 07:53:26 pm »

Well, everybody here is telling me I should compromise...

EAT THE OLD RICH (AND ASSOCIATES)

DILLY DILLY.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #29971 on: April 26, 2019, 08:04:51 pm »

Well, everybody here is telling me I should compromise...

EAT THE OLD RICH (AND ASSOCIATES)

DILLY DILLY.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Next you’ll be complaining about all the corn syrup in rich people or something.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29972 on: April 26, 2019, 08:06:33 pm »

Is that a concern? We should introduce legislature on human nutrition to be sure that we are properly healthy and tender upon consumption by our own children.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29973 on: April 26, 2019, 08:10:24 pm »

I know you're just taking the piss but I'm not certain some advancements are even possible without crusty old physicists to teach quantum mechanics to the newest generation or what have you. That sort of thing can take decades to achieve competence with.

That's not actually the case; most of the actual work in academia is done by grad students in their early to mid twenties supervised by postdocs in their thirties. The professors' actual job is mostly internal politics if they're good at it or teaching undergraduates if they aren't, and they persist in those jobs indefinitely precisely because they don't require staying up to date -- and in so doing, they lock out more qualified, younger people. Professors are generally old not because they take so long to educate but because it's hard to get them to retire until they're at least mostly dead, in large part because the job's so hellish that only an absolute maniac would take it in the first place.

Crusty old scientists teach crusty old science, which is fine for undergraduates (who are almost all useless anyway) but is by no means sufficient. If we were allowed to be more selective sooner in the process we wouldn't need them, which is a large part of why we do not have that freedom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29974 on: April 26, 2019, 08:12:38 pm »

I know you're just taking the piss but I'm not certain some advancements are even possible without crusty old physicists to teach quantum mechanics to the newest generation or what have you. That sort of thing can take decades to achieve competence with.

That's not actually the case; most of the actual work in academia is done by grad students in their early to mid twenties supervised by postdocs in their thirties. The professors' actual job is mostly internal politics if they're good at it or teaching undergraduates if they aren't, and they persist in those jobs indefinitely precisely because they don't require staying up to date -- and in so doing, they lock out more qualified, younger people. Professors are generally old not because they take so long to educate but because it's hard to get them to retire until they're at least mostly dead, in large part because the job's so hellish that only an absolute maniac would take it in the first place.

Crusty old scientists teach crusty old science, which is fine for undergraduates (who are almost all useless anyway) but is by no means sufficient. If we were allowed to be more selective sooner in the process we wouldn't need them, which is a large part of why we do not have that freedom.

DILLY.

DILLY.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #29975 on: April 26, 2019, 08:14:14 pm »

16 years to grow up, then we take copies of your dna, grind you down into fertilizer, and subsume your knowledge and memories into the rulermind.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29976 on: April 26, 2019, 08:23:29 pm »

Mine doesn't even require nonexistent technology. You can just shoot them and use a meat grinder.

So we've settled on eating the old and rich, and I feel like I met no resistance on the human nutrition regulatory committee. HNRC rolls off the palate so smoothly, wouldn't you all agree? This flippant edgelord bullshit is a helluva drug.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #29977 on: April 26, 2019, 08:28:21 pm »

Anything you can accomplish with existing technology is probably not worth doing.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29978 on: April 26, 2019, 08:29:23 pm »

Sounds like someone needs a trip to the cannery.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29979 on: April 26, 2019, 08:31:50 pm »

Better Idea: Ban human life past the age of 40. 30 if you have not produced a replacement. The human race continues, and we speed up the process of new ideas taking hold in society. None of this faffing around, you grow up, you create children, you educate them with your life experience, donezo. Carbon footprint reduced, accumulation of wealth reduced, no expectation of arbitrary terms of fulfillment into old age, population problems resolved.

Heck, this would have a more positive impact on the planet as a whole. Kids consume less of basically everything that drains our planet.

I know theres been a dystopian movie or two with that kind of age cutoff, except that the one I know of has it at 50.

Logan's Run. I believe the age of "renewal" is 30. Gotta say, if you're gonna systematically cull the population, you might as well do it with with style. Great movie, if pretty dated by now.

Mine doesn't even require nonexistent technology. You can just shoot them and use a meat grinder.

So we've settled on eating the old and rich, and I feel like I met no resistance on the human nutrition regulatory committee. HNRC rolls off the palate so smoothly, wouldn't you all agree? This flippant edgelord bullshit is a helluva drug.

We've settled on eating the old and banning children. We're so close to solving all our problems.

Unfortunately this is all derivative edge from Soylent Green.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29980 on: April 26, 2019, 08:34:22 pm »

No no, children allowed. 40 is not, 30 is the cutoff if you fail to reproduce. Logical benefits have been listed.

EDIT:
Logically, 2 or 3 would be the regulated limit, however. The idea being to replace parents, and to provide a small extra for those who are culled at 30.

Additional benefit would be a lessening of tax burdens and personal costs to life. It costs approximately 200k to raise a child from birth to 18, but the average cost of a senior living home/nursing home runs from 80k-200k a year. The economic gains could be considerable.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:41:07 pm by Dunamisdeos »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29981 on: April 26, 2019, 08:42:35 pm »

Did I somehow stumble into a Logan's Run movie?

Because it looks like I stumbled into a Logan's Run movie..

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29982 on: April 26, 2019, 08:44:01 pm »

My plan is better than any old movie script.

I'm going home, I expect to see this expounded upon when I return. The future of the planet is at stake, people.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29983 on: April 26, 2019, 08:52:16 pm »

*Meaning of Life Territory*

Just to address this because I missed it in the shenanigans, my issue with it comes in when society and the planet has to bear the burden as well. Long ago, our ignorance and lack of sophistication and science served as a check on population growth. We've outstripped nature's ability to prevent us from wrecking the planet, seemingly. So I do see literally having a kid year for 5 years, or however many that people start to wonder why, as contributing to a lot of problems.

It's kinda like when playing a village sim and you get a sudden influx of migrants or nomads. This keeps happening while your infrastructure starts to struggle to keep up. But you decide that, in gamer's terms, it's more "fun" when things get outta control. Or that ultimately the value of each uncared for migrant isn't actually that worthwhile 'cause there's plenty more where that came from.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:54:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29984 on: April 26, 2019, 08:54:16 pm »

Did I somehow stumble into a Logan's Run movie?

Because it looks like I stumbled into a Logan's Run movie..

Yeah I think that's the one I was thinking of. Either that or the Soylent Green one, I wasn't sure what the title was that I was remembering.
Pages: 1 ... 1997 1998 [1999] 2000 2001 ... 3511