Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2062 2063 [2064] 2065 2066 ... 2195

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1047527 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30945 on: April 29, 2019, 03:37:10 pm »

WTF is with the inflation report saying only 1.3%?

I've got a few fixed costs that are not rising, but absolutely every other variable expense in my budget is more expensive by as much as 10% per category.  The only way I can reduce my expenditures is by cutting consumption, not by getting more bang for my buck.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30946 on: April 29, 2019, 03:41:47 pm »

I kind of have a hard time believing that Mr. Roger's kids would ever grow up to be violent.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30947 on: April 29, 2019, 03:43:42 pm »

I'm also feeling the pinch, but I don't know where it started or why. I haven't changed my expenditures in easily two years, yet somehow I'm dipping in to savings a little more each month.

I know I could cut costs in a few places like eating regular-sized meals rather than "more meat please" or drinking Folgers instead of buying actual coffee beans....but who the hell wants to live like that?

Also based on the "i'm so fucking angry at you I don't know how to discipline you so I guess I'll whip/paddle/spank you" I got from my dad growing up, if I ever have kids then physical discipline will be my last resort. Getting physically disciplined as a kid hasn't like, made me vow to never hit a child because honestly....sometimes that's the only method that breaks though a kid who basically refuses to listen or obey by any other means.

But I remember receiving a whipping from my dad for what seemed like incredibly minor things I didn't even realize would result in that. As I grew older I kinda realized....he didn't really know what he was doing. He just felt at his wits end and so really no matter what I did, his overriding goal was to make sure I never did it again. Physical discipline certainly accomplished that...but not in the way he thought it would. Did I never ruin another toy by stuff a smoke bomb down its neck? Sure, never did that after getting a paddling. Did the beatings stop me from engaging in risky teenage behavior like driving too fast, having unprotected sex or doing drugs? No, it didn't have the slightest bearing on that stuff. All the beatings really did was teach me to walk on eggshells around my dad, to avoid triggering him. But that was honestly just 10 or 20% of my life growing up.

Beatings can correct or prevent very specific issues. But in general all it really does is teach you to fear and/or resent the giver of the beatings. It's kind of like disciplining an animal. If you beat an animal in response to a specific behavior, chances are they won't engage in that one behavior anymore. But their perception of the beating is tied to that one behavior. You won't produce a "good boy" by hitting your dog, he just won't shit on the carpet in that one specific spot.

Beating your kids doesn't make them better people all around. It teaches them more about their parent than it does the one act that got them the beating in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:51:50 pm by nenjin »
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30948 on: April 29, 2019, 04:32:22 pm »

I remember watching parents in India, and also hearing stories from the neighborhood kids about their families and schoolteachers. Corporal punishment is the No. 1 go-to, at least where we were staying... Teacher asks you a question and you get it wrong? You get beaten with a stick. You make noise when you shouldn't be making noise? You get beaten with a stick. You get a little too rowdy on the playground and irritate the groundskeeper? He grabs hold of you and smacks you around the head a bit. You get home and are dirty from being on the playground? Mom smacks you a bit, and then dad beats you with a nearby object for irritating your mother.

Were the kids all tidy and upright citizens who never stepped out of line? Fuck no, they were all over the place. Everything earned them a beating, so why care? Fearless little shits... We watched a neighbor on his balcony beating his kids over the head with an empty glass bottle, and both of the kids were just laughing in his face between bonks. It meant nothing to them anymore.

And yeah... Even if I didn't feel like I'm doing a shitty job of feeding/clothing/cleaning up after myself let alone someone else, I have noticed with the dogs that I've developed a much shorter temper than I used to possess... Consequence of becoming more self-confident and standing up for myself, I guess. I just... I look at what the best intentions of my parents earned me when I was growing up, and I can't see why I should be any more confident that I won't make the same mistakes.

I don't know. It's also gonna be a while before I get to the point of actually supporting myself with gainful employment and being able to get off of welfare, and I don't think it's fair to laden a kid with being a welfare baby either.

And, of course, first things first... Actually finding a partner I trust and am capable of getting along with for the long-term. And that I'd want to have kids with.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30949 on: April 29, 2019, 05:13:17 pm »

While I certainly sympathize with children who received more than their fair share of physical abuse, at the same time I don't think it's a one-sided issue. There are many different types of people in the world, and many types of children with different types of minds. Some learn best by sitting them down and explaining things to them in clear terms. Others will ignore any words you say to them and refuse to change their bad behavior unless they are shown that there will be physical consequences. And, short of expensive and impractical psychoanalysis for every child, there just isn't any practical way for determining what type of parenting is most appropriate for any given child. The best policy we can reasonably implement is to trust the judgement of the people who have spent the most time with the children, their parents.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30950 on: April 29, 2019, 05:42:47 pm »

I knew a chick who fed her 3-year-old potato chips for dinner along with her twice-daily energy drink mix.

She was, uh... A strange lady. No idea how the kid's doing these days.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30951 on: April 29, 2019, 05:46:32 pm »

uhhh. Define "energy drink mix"? Like powdered fucking monster or something in a bottle?

Because that child will be a wreck if they're ever weaned off of that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30952 on: April 29, 2019, 05:47:45 pm »

It's a fine line, and difficult to define. If your intent is to teach rather than to punish, you won't, or at least will very rarely, run into a point where corporal punishment becomes a necessity in disciplining a child. I think the main issue is that beatings for everything do not communicate consequences as a direct result of their actions, the goal of any discipline. Beatings only communicate that violating your whims results in violence. There's no connection with their actions, and no lesson learned. Therefore, they will grow up believing that one day it will be their turn to be the adult, and their whims will rule over others.

Essentially, beating your kid because he tried to run into traffic means he does not learn that running into traffic results in danger because cars are dangerous, but instead that offending my dad results in beatings, because offending people bigger than me means they have an excuse to beat me.

That said, if I saw a parent using force to discipline a child in a way that wasn't going to cause injury (a spanking, etc) I would assume that, barring any other obvious indicators, that they have run out of other options.

Violence is also something that carries an instinctive negative meaning. I have had instances where I have smacked my kid on the hand with so little force that it would not break an egg, but the act itself carried enough meaning that the message got through where words alone were not. No tears cried or marks left on child, but the message that this was not ok was received.

I knew a chick who fed her 3-year-old potato chips for dinner along with her twice-daily energy drink mix.

She was, uh... A strange lady. No idea how the kid's doing these days.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:51:29 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30953 on: April 29, 2019, 06:23:20 pm »

Essentially, beating your kid because he tried to run into traffic means he does not learn that running into traffic results in danger because cars are dangerous, but instead that offending my dad results in beatings, because offending people bigger than me means they have an excuse to beat me.

A toddler running into traffic is typically the scenario I use when explaining that physical punishment is appropriate in some situations.  Little kids, toddler age especially, are smart as hell... but not sophisticated.  They're little bundles of curiousity and energy and raw, simplistic emotion.  They're absolutely fearless and will try to kill themselves 100 times a day.  You cannot communicate the idea of consequences to them directly.  There is no way to explain to them that if they run in front of a moving car they will die.  It's best to let them suffer the consequences of their own actions wherever possible to learn how they can hurt themselves and appreciate caution on their own.  But when they're going to get themselves killed, conditioning a fear of consequence for specific actions in place of letting them get themselves killed is a suitable temporary measure.  But it has to be immediate and direct and consistently applied the instant they attempt to run into traffic to ensure strong association.

Outside of that, yeah, my philosophy as a parent and regarding authoritarian attitudes in general is that fear of punishment (of any kind) doesn't teach right and wrong.  It has very little use outside of that specific type of situation.

Stimutacs was the best!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30954 on: April 29, 2019, 07:48:39 pm »

Salmongod you explained that much more precisely than I did and I agree with that 100%.

We aren't trying to teach fear of punishment, we're teaching cause and effect at the very least, and right and wrong in many cases.

bay12anddunamisdeosdoesnottakeresponsiblityforthersultsoffeedingchildrenstimutacs

Anyway Kagus these things are things that can be committed to rather than taught at a young age, you'd probz be a good dad if you ever decide you want to be one just based on the amount of forethought you're obviously putting into it. Live your own life though, be what makes you happy, etc. I've known plenty of people who never had kids and had perfectly fulfilled lives.

Back to politics, Betsy Devos is the actual fucking satan devil and I'll fight everyone on that. Betsy Devos is proof of the supernatural, being the actual Satan and all. If you ever have kids make sure they don't go to school or they might end up as indentured servants on a goddam farm by that time who knows.

-I made edits-
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:19:26 pm by Dunamisdeos »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #30955 on: April 30, 2019, 06:10:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems I'll eat my words?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:15:56 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #30956 on: April 30, 2019, 07:04:08 am »

Perhaps. Either way, here's hoping you stay safe in the present situation. 

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #30957 on: April 30, 2019, 07:12:00 am »

Perhaps. Either way, here's hoping you stay safe in the present situation.

Thanks dude! I'll keep us safe.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30958 on: April 30, 2019, 07:40:07 am »

We aren't trying to teach fear of punishment, we're teaching cause and effect at the very least, and right and wrong in many cases.

The knock-on effects of that can be unpredictable, though; there's a point where a kid learns not only "if my parents become aware of things they don't like, I get hurt" but also "if I don't like what's going on, I should hurt people weaker than me until I feel better." It happens sooner than people think, too. Kids don't always advertise when they've figured stuff out, particularly if you react negatively to them telling you things.

It's also very hard to de-escalate from that back to reasoning with them, because you can't logic them out of something you didn't logic them into -- so, ultimately, everything is either a threat or a suggestion. I can tell you from experience that once a kid raised under that paradigm gets strong enough that the threats stop working, you're essentially done parenting them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30959 on: April 30, 2019, 08:34:34 am »

Pages: 1 ... 2062 2063 [2064] 2065 2066 ... 2195