Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1999 2000 [2001] 2002 2003 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534197 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30000 on: April 27, 2019, 08:23:11 am »

I mean, you'd think "preventing the death of the planet" would rank pretty highly on people's priorities.... heck, if all of humanity had a homogeneous utilitarian philosophy, we'd have already maximally terraformed Earth, and probably the Moon, for optimal human capacity while retaining a semblance of nature.

One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30001 on: April 27, 2019, 09:08:50 am »

Regarding robot overlords:  I'm still not convinced any robot-overlord situation ends well for most of society.  I think parts will benefit greatly, but others will either be extinguished or suffer.  Or maybe we'll end up with a world with only 10 million people all living in luxury instead of 10 billion that struggle.

I tend to agree. The Asimov robot storyline works only because of a gimmick which would be nearly impossible to do in real life, namely the three(or so) laws built into everything that could be considered a robot.

The more likely scenario these days, I believe, aside from the Skynet, AI run amok, type scenario, would simply be AI limited so heavily by the instructions of their makers that it would be no better than humans currently making decisions. We love our "Let's make a rule to make everyone happy... and then carve out a bunch of exceptions so that we don't actually have to make anyone happy, and probably end up making quite a few people upset." laws too much.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30002 on: April 27, 2019, 09:26:04 am »

Asimovs Three Laws is kind of over simplistic for real life anyway, which he does use as a plot point in many of his stories. There’s also one comic that I know of that makes a comment on how it probably wouldn’t work all that well, or maybe just lead to unproductive OCD behavior.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30003 on: April 27, 2019, 11:01:58 am »

Quote from: Trekkin
Insanity is no excuse for inefficiency.

This is my favorite quote of the thread. Top 10, at least.

But apparently, according to everyone, the only thing you really need in order to become a good parent is to pop out a kid. Then the magic happens, and everything that seemed insurmountable before just gets done instead. For some reason, I never quite managed to take that explanation to heart...

Yeah man, look, the truth is noone has any goddam idea what we're doing outside of tips and tricks to keep them from starving or falling off a cliff or the like. BUT, having a kid about is a fantastic motivator. You do tend to find ways to get shit done that you frankly would not have before. What does that say about the average parent's character? Well you s[REDACTED].

I have an old friend in North Carolina who got pregnant when she was 17. She was on the pill. And with North Carolina's opinions on abortion, not to mention her family's opinions on abortion and sex in general, by the time she managed to arrange a pregnancy test from an out-of-town gas station where no one would know her and blab to her mother about her purchase, and then arranged for an appointment to discuss terminating the pregnancy, the doctor just told her that she was too far along and there was nothing for it but to keep the child.

We found out after my wife went on a roller coaster that she was 2 months along. Also, we were also on the pill and it just apparently took a coffee break for about 3 minutes like 45 minutes at least. We had to consider an abortion on account of my wife being a sickly person, we were expecting to have more time to prepare medically, financials aside. We were lucky, conditions turned out to be acceptable, and it all worked out.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30004 on: April 27, 2019, 11:11:36 am »

Not sure what you're referring to as taking 45 minutes, but you guys probably didn't need to worry about being discreet, which is what Kagus's friend had to deal with and so, couldn't use the normal channels, as it were.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30005 on: April 27, 2019, 11:13:42 am »

Yeah that's way worse, agreed. It's important to have access to proper care. What if we had found out it wasn't safe for her to have the baby, and it was too late to safely abort? Not trying to make comparisons there, just share related stories.

Also I was making a sex joke at my own expense, cmon' now.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30006 on: April 27, 2019, 11:19:04 am »

I wasn't sure if you were making a joke about quick sex or if it was referring to the pregnacy test or the abortion, go me overanalyzing or whatever.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #30007 on: April 27, 2019, 11:21:41 am »

Totes over analysing.

Also, I'm guessing (hoping?) it worked out okay for her anyway. Presumably by this point she'd not want to get rid of her child.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30008 on: April 27, 2019, 11:40:14 am »

Yeah, I mean, I'm not judging for choices made or making assumptions about your friend's situation here, but my grandmother also had her first kid at 17. This was in 1953, mind you.

Her life was very goddam difficult but now she has 5 kids (my aunts and uncles) who are all relatively stable and successful and my grandmother just sold the last of her three houses to retire in an assisted living place. We have a large, connected, relatively stable family.

Point is that yes, unplanned births are very difficult and very life-altering, but they aren't the unilaterally catastrophic life-ending event that society seems to think it is. You can thrive regardless. I hope your friend can find a way to make a good life out of her situation.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #30009 on: April 27, 2019, 03:40:25 pm »

To be fair, an unplanned birth at 17 in 1965 was way different than one at even 22 in 2019.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30010 on: April 27, 2019, 04:14:13 pm »

-snip-
Asimov's laws of robotics were also specifically designed to cause conflicts and paradoxes, rather than avoid them... Because, y'know, a story where everything works as it should and everything goes well generally won't be a very interesting story to read.

As for my friend, yeah, she's a cute kid and things have (outwardly) managed to work out. The complete flake of a boyfriend even managed to show up to his own wedding, not to mention the rest of the child's life.

Would it have been nice to finish high school? Probably. But that's not something to think about anymore; the course of life has been determined and there's not much to do about it.

And since she's done her job of producing a child, she's actually gotten a lot of help and support from her family, which was of course instrumental to not-dying.

For me personally? ... I have a mental illness, one that can potentially be inherited. I have genetic history of mental illness, with a psychopathic aunt and a great-grandmother who decided to bring her youngest child along for a murder-suicide.

And even if I didn't, I know how much pain I've lived through, in the hands of two well-to-do parents who loved me very much and thought the world of me. I even had the luxury of having a stay-at-home mom.

If I could go so wrong with that kind of a start... How fucking badly could I destroy the life of my own child?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #30011 on: April 27, 2019, 07:48:42 pm »

The real problem with the three laws is that humans love murder too much to let Law 1 be above Law 2:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30012 on: April 29, 2019, 12:48:00 pm »

-snip-
Asimov's laws of robotics were also specifically designed to cause conflicts and paradoxes, rather than avoid them... Because, y'know, a story where everything works as it should and everything goes well generally won't be a very interesting story to read.

As for my friend, yeah, she's a cute kid and things have (outwardly) managed to work out. The complete flake of a boyfriend even managed to show up to his own wedding, not to mention the rest of the child's life.

Would it have been nice to finish high school? Probably. But that's not something to think about anymore; the course of life has been determined and there's not much to do about it.

And since she's done her job of producing a child, she's actually gotten a lot of help and support from her family, which was of course instrumental to not-dying.

For me personally? ... I have a mental illness, one that can potentially be inherited. I have genetic history of mental illness, with a psychopathic aunt and a great-grandmother who decided to bring her youngest child along for a murder-suicide.

And even if I didn't, I know how much pain I've lived through, in the hands of two well-to-do parents who loved me very much and thought the world of me. I even had the luxury of having a stay-at-home mom.

If I could go so wrong with that kind of a start... How fucking badly could I destroy the life of my own child?

My old man got beat with a tire iron for most of his childhood. His little brother and sisters also got beat, and so did his mother.

Never laid a finger on me (OK, occasional spankings). He made a decision to break that cycle and he was successful. Genetic concerns are certainly something to think about, but you aren't simply the sum of your family history, and your child would not be either.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30013 on: April 29, 2019, 12:51:52 pm »

My old man got beat with a tire iron for most of his childhood. His little brother and sisters also got beat, and so did his mother.
Never laid a finger on me (OK, occasional spankings). He made a decision to break that cycle and he was successful. Genetic concerns are certainly something to think about, but you aren't simply the sum of your family history, and your child would not be either.

We think our fathers fools, so wise we grow. Our wiser sons, no doubt will think us so.
―Alexander Pope

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30014 on: April 29, 2019, 12:57:02 pm »

Genetic concerns are definitely a different beast from an abusive father, generally. It turns the prospect of having a child into even more of a crapshoot than normal, and (doubly so considering it's one of the major reasons I'm personally not going to have kids) I wouldn't blame someone for not wanting to inflict the shit they suffer through on another human being. You can talk about sums all you want but when you have a notable genetic issue you're aware of, you're very much making the decision to be okay with fucking up someone's life should you decide to reproduce. Never felt like a good look to me, particularly when said someone is supposed to be a loved one.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1999 2000 [2001] 2002 2003 ... 3511