Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2001 2002 [2003] 2004 2005 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533243 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30030 on: April 29, 2019, 06:23:20 pm »

Essentially, beating your kid because he tried to run into traffic means he does not learn that running into traffic results in danger because cars are dangerous, but instead that offending my dad results in beatings, because offending people bigger than me means they have an excuse to beat me.

A toddler running into traffic is typically the scenario I use when explaining that physical punishment is appropriate in some situations.  Little kids, toddler age especially, are smart as hell... but not sophisticated.  They're little bundles of curiousity and energy and raw, simplistic emotion.  They're absolutely fearless and will try to kill themselves 100 times a day.  You cannot communicate the idea of consequences to them directly.  There is no way to explain to them that if they run in front of a moving car they will die.  It's best to let them suffer the consequences of their own actions wherever possible to learn how they can hurt themselves and appreciate caution on their own.  But when they're going to get themselves killed, conditioning a fear of consequence for specific actions in place of letting them get themselves killed is a suitable temporary measure.  But it has to be immediate and direct and consistently applied the instant they attempt to run into traffic to ensure strong association.

Outside of that, yeah, my philosophy as a parent and regarding authoritarian attitudes in general is that fear of punishment (of any kind) doesn't teach right and wrong.  It has very little use outside of that specific type of situation.

Stimutacs was the best!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30031 on: April 29, 2019, 07:48:39 pm »

Salmongod you explained that much more precisely than I did and I agree with that 100%.

We aren't trying to teach fear of punishment, we're teaching cause and effect at the very least, and right and wrong in many cases.

bay12anddunamisdeosdoesnottakeresponsiblityforthersultsoffeedingchildrenstimutacs

Anyway Kagus these things are things that can be committed to rather than taught at a young age, you'd probz be a good dad if you ever decide you want to be one just based on the amount of forethought you're obviously putting into it. Live your own life though, be what makes you happy, etc. I've known plenty of people who never had kids and had perfectly fulfilled lives.

Back to politics, Betsy Devos is the actual fucking satan devil and I'll fight everyone on that. Betsy Devos is proof of the supernatural, being the actual Satan and all. If you ever have kids make sure they don't go to school or they might end up as indentured servants on a goddam farm by that time who knows.

-I made edits-
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:19:26 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30032 on: April 30, 2019, 06:10:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems I'll eat my words?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:15:56 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #30033 on: April 30, 2019, 07:04:08 am »

Perhaps. Either way, here's hoping you stay safe in the present situation. 

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30034 on: April 30, 2019, 07:12:00 am »

Thanks dude! I'll keep us safe.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30035 on: April 30, 2019, 07:40:07 am »

We aren't trying to teach fear of punishment, we're teaching cause and effect at the very least, and right and wrong in many cases.

The knock-on effects of that can be unpredictable, though; there's a point where a kid learns not only "if my parents become aware of things they don't like, I get hurt" but also "if I don't like what's going on, I should hurt people weaker than me until I feel better." It happens sooner than people think, too. Kids don't always advertise when they've figured stuff out, particularly if you react negatively to them telling you things.

It's also very hard to de-escalate from that back to reasoning with them, because you can't logic them out of something you didn't logic them into -- so, ultimately, everything is either a threat or a suggestion. I can tell you from experience that once a kid raised under that paradigm gets strong enough that the threats stop working, you're essentially done parenting them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30037 on: April 30, 2019, 09:37:05 am »

Thanks dude! I'll keep us safe.

Sec. of State even coined a name for it, 'Operacion Libertad'
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:41:01 am by smjjames »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30038 on: April 30, 2019, 09:44:50 am »

Back to politics, Betsy Devos is the actual fucking satan devil and I'll fight everyone on that.

Hehe, betcha think ye'r funny.

Give him a week to figure out how to bill separated families for daycare. Because, obviously, refugee jail is just summer camp.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30039 on: April 30, 2019, 09:46:48 am »

Back to politics, Betsy Devos is the actual fucking satan devil and I'll fight everyone on that.

Give him a week to figure out how to bill separated families for daycare. Because, obviously, refugee jail is just summer camp.

Its a summer camp to help those with ADD.  A concentration camp, if you will.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30040 on: April 30, 2019, 10:00:35 am »

Its a summer camp to help those with ADD.  A concentration camp, if you will.

Bad joke, come on man. XD

Anyhow, isn't making asylum seekers have to pay in order to seek asylum against international law? If not the spirit of it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30041 on: April 30, 2019, 10:02:08 am »

Only Americans would look at "6 digit student debt not eliminated by bankruptcy" and think "man our civil servants don't deserve that but everyone else does."

Only the current administration would intentionally fail to fix even that narrow problem and let a 700 million dollar budget sit around.  264 applicants accepted is getting into "every last one of them had a personal contact" territory.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30042 on: April 30, 2019, 10:24:21 am »

The money is probably getting misappropriated, would be my guess.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30043 on: April 30, 2019, 10:28:22 am »

I'd buy it in heartbeat, but the sad thing is it might not be.  Intentionally not spending a budget so that the education department loses it next year is exactly something Betsy Devos would do, her schtick is she doesn't want public education to exist so that way everyone will have to go to private charter schools.  For example a close friend of mine was supposed to get federal assistance last year in paying for grad school and the money just... didn't arrive.  I think it eventually materialized months later so it was never stolen either.  The administration of "why don't we just not do our jobs?"
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30044 on: April 30, 2019, 10:31:03 am »

Is that how it works? That if you don't spend it, you lose it? That seems like it would create extremely crooked incentives, and seems like it'd be the kind of financial control that only totally clueless people would use. Or in other words, exactly what you'd expect out of the government.
Pages: 1 ... 2001 2002 [2003] 2004 2005 ... 3511