Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2003 2004 [2005] 2006 2007 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3580398 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30060 on: April 30, 2019, 09:45:26 pm »

Back to politics, Betsy Devos is the actual fucking satan devil and I'll fight everyone on that.
Only Americans would look at "6 digit student debt not eliminated by bankruptcy" and think "man our civil servants don't deserve that but everyone else does."

Only the current administration would intentionally fail to fix even that narrow problem and let a 700 million dollar budget sit around.  264 applicants accepted is getting into "every last one of them had a personal contact" territory.

Ehh... yeah I'm kind of stupefied we even have a program like "give $700M to forgive debt of civil servants" but non civil servants are then stuck with paying their own debt and the civil servants' via taxes.  Although - $700M doesn't really go that far.  It's maybe the debt of like 20,000 people, at $30k forgiven each.  Incidentally, $30k is about the income tax of 4 filers... average is apparently $8400 in federal income tax per filer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe if big companies actually paid taxes we could use that money to unfuck higher education.  Probably help seeing as they love demanding diplomas for even the most basic jobs.

Its actually to the point where I pay the fed and then they turn around and give Amazon a massive tax refund.  So really I pay taxes to Amazon.  Prime Taxes.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #30061 on: April 30, 2019, 09:52:40 pm »

Well it’s not just Amazon. Massive cut to corporation tax means your paying taxes to all the corporations, just to cut out the middleman.

Why make them compete for your hard earned wages when the government can just give it to them direct?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30062 on: April 30, 2019, 10:14:21 pm »

Ehh... yeah I'm kind of stupefied we even have a program like "give $700M to forgive debt of civil servants" but non civil servants are then stuck with paying their own debt and the civil servants' via taxes.  Although - $700M doesn't really go that far.  It's maybe the debt of like 20,000 people, at $30k forgiven each.  Incidentally, $30k is about the income tax of 4 filers... average is apparently $8400 in federal income tax per filer.

"TaXeS DoN't FuNd AnYtHiNg" semantic games aside, that's kind of like saying you pay your own debt and that of farmers by buying food. Sure, taxes are mandatory while food is technically optional, but that's kind of the point of having government as a mechanism for doing the things we all need but nobody wants to pay for (at least, not without making them functionally useless.)

Those programs exist in part because without them those jobs would be literally unaffordable for the vast majority of the college-educated workforce, and much as a generation of sociopaths has turned the idea of government service into a punchline you do in fact want the people maintaining the government to know what they're doing. Postgraduate education is the same way; we want scientists, but lots of undergrads can't afford to be grad students.

Now, the direct causation crowd will of course leap in here to say that all the jobs we want "should" pay more, but that's not as simple as it sounds.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #30063 on: April 30, 2019, 11:58:41 pm »

Back to politics, Betsy Devos is the actual fucking satan devil and I'll fight everyone on that.
Only Americans would look at "6 digit student debt not eliminated by bankruptcy" and think "man our civil servants don't deserve that but everyone else does."

Only the current administration would intentionally fail to fix even that narrow problem and let a 700 million dollar budget sit around.  264 applicants accepted is getting into "every last one of them had a personal contact" territory.

What you gonna spend that $2.30 which will have a better return on investment than enabling 20,000 Americans to get out of debt and therefore start saving, being more productive and happier?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30064 on: May 01, 2019, 06:47:44 am »

The example of "civil servants" included nurses though - nurses definitely pull in enough income in the open market to pay off their own debt (my wife is an RN, so I am not just blowing smoke here. Maybe there's a geographic dependency here the article doesn't mention? Nurses do well here in the midwest, maybe it's bad on the coasts?).  Teachers and firefighters - yes those historically have a skewed debt-to-income ratio.  But should this really be a federal program?

Yes, there may be some overall positive return on investment by using public funds to help pay debt compared to using those funds to provide other social services; the devil is in the details.

However - the government forgiving these loans isn't "paying off debt" - it's effectively trading personal debt for public debt since the government runs a deficit.  It is very unclear how public debt compares to private debt in terms of long-term return on investment.  For individuals: yes it's much nicer, but for society as a whole, it becomes less clear because the effects are so diffuse.

I do understand that one role of governments is to do things that are worthwhile that may not be as attractive from a return on investment standpoint to the private markets.  For instance, if social programs have a 0.5% return, but private industry wants 5%, then yes the government should be the "investor of last resort".  But if the return is -0.5%, then even the government should say "yeah, sorry, I know it sounds good, but it isn't sustainable."

NOTE:  This is aggregate return on investment, not individual program.  So maybe it's ok if this program has negative ROI if the total government investment portfolio has a high return - kind of like VCs that lose money on 9/10 investments but make it back and more on that 1/10.  I would argue though that it's very unclear if the overall portfolio for the government is positive...rising debt suggests it is not.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30065 on: May 01, 2019, 08:08:54 am »

Is that how it works? That if you don't spend it, you lose it? That seems like it would create extremely crooked incentives, and seems like it'd be the kind of financial control that only totally clueless people would use. Or in other words, exactly what you'd expect out of the government.

It's also the way most businesses with multiple departments work. We've known for decades that it creates perverse incentives to avoid buying things that are necessary for the job, then buy crap you don't need at the end of the year to make sure you used 100% of your budget. But the alternative is people buying slightly more than they need while being fairly efficient at producing whatever we hired them for. See also: buying through accepted vendors at 5x the cost to prevent someone buying at 2x the cost and taking a bribe. Beancounters, man. Beancounters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30066 on: May 01, 2019, 01:17:55 pm »

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock is starting his campaign in two weeks. We're already at or past the limit for people in the two debates, so, the DNC is going to have some tough choices to make. IMO it should be expanded to a third day, but even two days in a row would be stretching it. We're going to have to figure out some fair (or fairer) way to do things if huge fields like this become the norm.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30067 on: May 01, 2019, 01:48:29 pm »

I got my higher education outright scammed from me by a for-profit college that lied about its accreditation, thereby rendering its credits unacceptable by even local community colleges. Among many other abuses, mind you.

There's a class action lawsuit going on. I probably won't ever see anything, realistically.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #30068 on: May 01, 2019, 02:32:11 pm »

Trump University?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30069 on: May 01, 2019, 02:36:33 pm »

NOTE:  This is aggregate return on investment, not individual program.  So maybe it's ok if this program has negative ROI if the total government investment portfolio has a high return - kind of like VCs that lose money on 9/10 investments but make it back and more on that 1/10.  I would argue though that it's very unclear if the overall portfolio for the government is positive...rising debt suggests it is not.

Unfortunately government accounting can't work that way, because you're not dealing with a single organizational hierarchy dispensing funding and mandates simultaneously. At minimum, you're dealing with state and federal in parallel, and usually local/municipal, interests, all of which usually have significant discrepancies between the org chart, jurisdictional divisions, notional organizational remits, and the funding flows.

When we look at the effectiveness of government programs, then, we have to bear in mind that there usually isn't a single monophyletic organization assigned a specific amount of money to do whatever falls under a single conceptual umbrella. This is most egregiously the case when people ask how we could spend $X on one thing but not even $Y<<X on another -- while it's informative, there was probably never a point at which the two things were individually competing for funding, so it's not necessarily an indicator of priority. Similarly, when we ask if we're supporting something most effectively, it's usually not correct to assume that we can get the same dollars put into arbitrary programs with equivalent efficiency, or that the organization had access to the better option we're proposing.

All of the above is just to give context to the larger problem with government profitability: the government is supposed to do unprofitable things, because if they could be done like we want and turn a demonstrable profit, we could (theoretically) have for-profit corporations do them. It's hard to get corporations behind things like entitlements where the outgoing cost is a gigantic question mark, or things like education and blue-sky research that might pay off decades from now. Nor do you want things like the firefighters in your community answerable to a normal cost-benefit analysis, because that's how you get fires prioritized by expense. In this, the government has a terrific advantage as regards its debt: unlike people, governments aren't supposed to die, so their debt doesn't have a big actuarial timer on it before it becomes worthless. Their debt behaves more like stock, in some ways.

In any event, the point is this: determining value for money is really hard with government because it's a complicated mishmash of operational units working on deliberately unprofitable things in different ways and with different operational boundaries, so both the alternatives available and the ultimate accountability for a particular budgetary decision are nontrivial to determine. When we say things like "that $700 million could have bought [X things I think are important]" because the cost of the X things is $700 million, that's not necessarily true.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30070 on: May 01, 2019, 02:38:46 pm »

Trump University?
I thought that already got settled? My folks managed to get back some of what they shelled out with for some lectures, but that was a long while back.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30071 on: May 01, 2019, 02:46:53 pm »

Trump University?
I thought that already got settled? My folks managed to get back some of what they shelled out with for some lectures, but that was a long while back.

Not specifically, but yeah same deal. Same problems, different organization.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30072 on: May 01, 2019, 03:05:32 pm »

Well the Barr Senate hearing concluded. It was par for the course, with Republicans using their time to laud his many great achievements and shaming the Democrats for harassing such an honorable man. Meanwhile the Democrats asked about justice and obstruction, which Barr responded to mostly by stalling or redirecting.

Barr did give one interesting response in which he made the case that the President has the constitutional right to obstruct an investigation if he believes that investigation is unwarranted. I'm sure that one will be discussed for a while.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30073 on: May 01, 2019, 03:20:51 pm »

With a major caveat of ‘who gets to decide whether an investigation is unwarranted?’ I can easily see Barr’s words coming back to deprive the Republicans butts of flesh at some point. I wonder which other countries have that legal option available for their President or Prime Minister?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30074 on: May 01, 2019, 03:37:09 pm »

It's relatively irrelevant who, if anyone, else does, considering it's straight up bullshit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2003 2004 [2005] 2006 2007 ... 3513