Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 [2050] 2051 2052 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532977 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30735 on: June 20, 2019, 11:00:29 pm »

"Exactly how we should be doing our job" indeed.  How else will "business as usual" survive in the face of this organized, conspiratorial attack orchestrated by big science and the liberal left!? We gotta think about employers, the economy, and jobs first and foremost!!  /s

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30736 on: June 20, 2019, 11:04:22 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30737 on: June 20, 2019, 11:07:48 pm »

“Maybe we’ll start an international war today.”

“Mmmmmm yeah go ahead and do it.”

“Mmmmmm yeah you know what, cancel that.”

This is what strong leadership looks like. Or someone playing chicken with the fate of the world.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30738 on: June 20, 2019, 11:08:32 pm »

Orange idiot indecisive about causing international conflict; Pissy about lack of positive press coverage, decides to try wagging the dog, but gets told not to by military advisors.
(Secretly has temper tantrum in the rubber room)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30739 on: June 21, 2019, 04:04:14 am »

When asked how he would respond to Iran shooting down the drone, Trump answered, 'You're gonna find out.' At that moment, I was pretty certain something exactly like this was about to happen.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30740 on: June 21, 2019, 05:37:19 am »

Further demonstrating his administration's now characteristic disconnect with reality, Trump Campaign begins "Latinos for Trump" campaign in Miami.

(Of course, this will be radically successful, because there is no possible way that the demographic being wooed will in any way remember being told that immigrants from south america and mexico are unwelcome, that those countries don't send their best [but "some" are good people], and has made an entire campaign around how mexican immigrants and laborers are majorly at fault for america 'not being great', and all that.  No way at all.  Nope. They love Trump.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 05:40:15 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30741 on: June 21, 2019, 07:34:22 am »

I've got family that were swooped up by the "Women for Trump" movement... Which you'd think would be nearly as unlikely.

There's actually a not-insignificant number of immigrant families here in Norway who firmly support the far right and their sternly anti-immigrant policies. Apparently, the main draw for them seems to be "We're here now and got the best spots, we don't want anyone else coming and ruining it for us"... Which is both hilarious and incredibly compassionate!

That particular demographic and those ideals came to light a couple years ago when a couple right wing politicians set about proving that "We're not racist" by going out to some family's house and eating homemade Pakistani food, whereupon they said "This is really tasty!"; thereby confirming that they cannot possibly be biased against immigrants or brown people in general.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30742 on: June 21, 2019, 11:05:33 am »

Meanwhile I'm not accused of being racist at all but to be quite honest with you Arabic food is trash. I hated it.

Almost like food isn't representative of people.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30743 on: June 21, 2019, 11:08:46 am »

Iran could absolutely beat the US in a war. It wouldn't be good for Iran, but it sure as shit would get interesting around the time we get to watch a US aircraft carrier burning and sinking into the Strait of Hormuz on CNN.

I recognize that Iran isn't like Iraq, but would Iran realistically have a chance of beating the US?  I would expect us to be able to park ships outside of their range and destroy military targets with relative impunity.  Maybe I'm underestimating how sophisticated Iranian missiles are, since long range missiles are the only way I could see them even striking an aircraft carrier.  Iran has a lot of military tech from Russia, right?  Maybe it is better than I realize.

I'm kind of curious now how effective ship based point defenses are against modern missiles.

Further demonstrating his administration's now characteristic disconnect with reality, Trump Campaign begins "Latinos for Trump" campaign in Miami.

(Of course, this will be radically successful, because there is no possible way that the demographic being wooed will in any way remember being told that immigrants from south america and mexico are unwelcome, that those countries don't send their best [but "some" are good people], and has made an entire campaign around how mexican immigrants and laborers are majorly at fault for america 'not being great', and all that.  No way at all.  Nope. They love Trump.)

Doesn't Trump have a surprising amount of support among Latinos already?  My impression was that many of them are conservative for reasons unrelated to Trump (like religion) and put up with / like him despite everything he says.  That might have been those primarily in Florida, if memory serves.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30744 on: June 21, 2019, 11:24:43 am »

Iirc, while Latinos have a strong correlation of voting democrat despite being very conservative, Florida Latinos tend to be more republican than the average Latinii does. So unless I'm mistaken, Florida would likely be where to go to if you'd want to start drenching for such a thing.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30745 on: June 21, 2019, 11:59:50 am »

I recognize that Iran isn't like Iraq, but would Iran realistically have a chance of beating the US?
Put it this way: If we go into Iran, we lose. They might not "win" by any particular measure, but the US will absolutely lose that conflict. They've largely tooled themselves to turn into a complete quagmire if invaded or otherwise attacked, and if we go in we're eventually going to be pulling out in even more disgrace than our afghan/iraq excursions have brought. It would take a metric fuckton more domestic support than even remotely exists in this country for shit to go well for the US if it starts going hard on Iran. No one comes out better than they started with this one.

And with the relative strength of the countries involved, the US coming out missing a pound of flesh looks a hell of a lot worse. I'unno if beat is the right word, but whatever the right one is it's going to be pretty close to it in meaning.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #30746 on: June 21, 2019, 12:20:58 pm »

I believe the right word is "hey, remember Vietnam?"
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30747 on: June 21, 2019, 12:21:24 pm »

pulling out in even more disgrace than our afghan/iraq excursions have brought
Lol wut? What disgrace? That was mission accomplished. A banner on a boat said so, and it was apparently enough to get the goofy man on the dais re-elected.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #30748 on: June 21, 2019, 12:30:00 pm »

I'm protesting today. I encourage you all to drop what you're doing and protest right now, even if it's just standing in front of the post office and telling people how bad an idea this is.

As for me, I'm buying a huge banner and putting it over the freeway. Going to talk to anyone who comes by, too.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30749 on: June 21, 2019, 01:00:34 pm »

Iran could absolutely beat the US in a war. It wouldn't be good for Iran, but it sure as shit would get interesting around the time we get to watch a US aircraft carrier burning and sinking into the Strait of Hormuz on CNN.

I recognize that Iran isn't like Iraq, but would Iran realistically have a chance of beating the US?  I would expect us to be able to park ships outside of their range and destroy military targets with relative impunity.  Maybe I'm underestimating how sophisticated Iranian missiles are, since long range missiles are the only way I could see them even striking an aircraft carrier.  Iran has a lot of military tech from Russia, right?  Maybe it is better than I realize.

I'm kind of curious now how effective ship based point defenses are against modern missiles.

No, Iran does not. Not in the conventional military sense. Certainly invading Iran is going to likely lead to the same insurgency/I-don't-want-soldiers-parked-on-my-street-setting-up-checkpoints type of rebellion problems that we had in Iraq, but in the conventional sense Iran isn't remotely a threat. We have antimissile defenses and have been working on them for years because missiles are the best way to destroy a carrier group and our military isn't made of idiots, we have missiles of our own with better range and guidance and warheads, we've got better aircraft capable of getting in and destroying their military defensive infrastructure (including the radar sets that would allow them to find targets to launch those missiles at and the missile launch sites they need to actually, y'know, launch the missiles) without even getting spotted, etc.

In short: No, Iran has no chance. It would be a campaign likely on par with the initial coalition invasion of Iraq in terms of swiftness and casualty rates. There's just no way for a third-world country relying on old Soviet-era exports and a few modern weapons (if Russia has been providing them modern equipment, I don't know one way or the other) to feasibly pose a threat to a competently run first-world military in a meaningful way.

As for the resultant insurgency, massive changes in the way the following occupation and rebuilding efforts would be required to avoid and/or mitigate that, otherwise we end up right back where we started---losing a small number of troops overall but in ways that make it impossible to find a simple and easy solution, making continued involvement politically untenable.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 [2050] 2051 2052 ... 3511