Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2105 2106 [2107] 2108 2109 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3583784 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #31590 on: August 14, 2019, 12:27:02 pm »

Cool so the warden oopsie daisy removed his cellmate, the one that it's standard practice to keeping a cell with a guy on suicide watch. He's facing no discipline whatsoever.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31591 on: August 14, 2019, 01:52:07 pm »

My understanding is that he was not on suicide watch.
I'm not sure if the watch is just a judgement call, or if there's actually like some sort of specific protocols in place for when a person is supposed to be on that list.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #31592 on: August 14, 2019, 01:59:40 pm »

Usually they’re heavily monitored, like being checked on every 30 minutes.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #31593 on: August 14, 2019, 02:22:23 pm »

I bet sooner rather than later.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31594 on: August 14, 2019, 02:25:31 pm »

Cool, it's not like the previous one ended anyway.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31595 on: August 14, 2019, 02:30:25 pm »

If it does happen in that time frame, the silver lining is that Trump will get the blame for it.  And, honestly, the blame is probably deserved at this point given the whole tariff debacle.  Will it matter for elections?  That's the $64,000 question.

I'm curious what he will say or do in reaction.  I doubt he fully understands it (I don't, really), so any response is likely to be only tangentially related at best.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31596 on: August 14, 2019, 02:43:11 pm »

I should note that I was mistaken in an earlier post when I claimed that the yield curve inverted. The 5-year yield curve inverted a few months ago.

The 10-year yield curve inverted today.

This generally precedes a recession by 3 to 11 months.

Incidentially, the recession red light alarm went off on the stock market today. Though the drop just seems to be mostly people panicking over the red flag notice for something that apparently has an extremely good track record at predicting recessions.

I'm willing to bet that a no-deal Brexit crash through shockwave will accelerate the timeline for an incoming recession, though October 31st is pretty close to the 3 month mark anyway. Probably the biggest danger at this point is the stock market version of a tantrum spiral.

If it does happen in that time frame, the silver lining is that Trump will get the blame for it.  And, honestly, the blame is probably deserved at this point given the whole tariff debacle.  Will it matter for elections?  That's the $64,000 question.

I'm curious what he will say or do in reaction.  I doubt he fully understands it (I don't, really), so any response is likely to be only tangentially related at best.

If his adminstration handles it badly, they'll definetly get the blame for that. I seriously doubt that you'd be able to pin the cause of a recession on any particular President since it's only one of so many factors, it's the handling of it that generally gets them. Though if they did something that exacerbates it, like say, continuing a trade war in the middle of a recession (talk about between a rock and a hard place (okay, another rock) for Trump), they'll get hit over that for sure.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31597 on: August 14, 2019, 02:50:39 pm »

While yes, a recession is caused by many different things happening at the same time, I think that the President who ran a major part of his campaign on being the only one anywhere capable of improving the economy and blaming everyone's ideas but his own for recent recessions should get a specific extra-large portion of blame for the recession that was triggered as a result of his policies.

Guns have lots of moving parts, but the guy who pulled the trigger still gets the blame.

FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31598 on: August 14, 2019, 03:04:13 pm »

Fingers don't kill people, hammers do!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #31599 on: August 14, 2019, 03:08:31 pm »

In the worst possible sense, a recession would be good for Democratic policy ideals, in the same way that the Titanic was good for ship safety reformers. This must have been a small consolation for those who happened to be on the Titanic at the time.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31600 on: August 14, 2019, 03:17:00 pm »

in the same way Trump would be good for America in the long run in that it will hopefully teach people firsthand about the dangers of his kind of populism.

You're not wrong. Cultures learn these things only after they've come through them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31601 on: August 14, 2019, 03:23:52 pm »

While yes, a recession is caused by many different things happening at the same time, I think that the President who ran a major part of his campaign on being the only one anywhere capable of improving the economy and blaming everyone's ideas but his own for recent recessions should get a specific extra-large portion of blame for the recession that was triggered as a result of his policies.

Guns have lots of moving parts, but the guy who pulled the trigger still gets the blame.

Well yeah, insofar as his/her policies making things worse and/or having campaigned on 'Only I can fix it!', they should get blamed that way. However, the cause might not be as clear cut as it was in 2008, instead of one big bubble bursting, it's more like several big to medium sized bubbles bursting amid a global slowdown that's already happening.

in the same way Trump would be good for America in the long run in that it will hopefully teach people firsthand about the dangers of his kind of populism.

You're not wrong. Cultures learn these things only after they've come through them.

I dunno, with the way that the Republicans have been embracing the populism, I don't know if they'd learn the lession anytime soon. The establishment is definetly trying to ride it out and hope it goes away though.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31602 on: August 14, 2019, 03:30:21 pm »

Cultures learn these things only after they've come through them.

First as tragedy, forty-eighth as farce?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31603 on: August 14, 2019, 07:08:32 pm »

Cultures learn these things only after they've come through them.

First as tragedy, forty-eighth as farce?

Eh, I mean about super racist populist leaders. Recessions are eventually unavoidable (to a certain degree). Cultures tend to take a step back and make (some) social progress after stuff like that, and generally not before.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31604 on: August 14, 2019, 07:12:06 pm »

Neither recessions nor racism are unavoidable. We choose these things for ourselves and the world.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2105 2106 [2107] 2108 2109 ... 3513