Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2106 2107 [2108] 2109 2110 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3571832 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #31605 on: August 14, 2019, 07:16:58 pm »

Racism is pretty super avoidable.

Recessions are commonly thought of as part of a cycle, and the best way to realistically manage them is to take steps to lessen their potential impact. But again, they can be triggered by stupidity or greed, and the people who cause them in this way should be held accountable. Like if Trump's jackassed trade war causes one.

Theoretically it is possible to simply plan well enough that recessions never happen because we've planned for every eventuality, but this seems unlikely.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31606 on: August 14, 2019, 07:19:50 pm »

Recessions aren't a mistake, they're an intentional outcome of capitalism. That's why the rich gain in power during recessions. That's why they happen like clockwork - because they're happening on a schedule.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31607 on: August 14, 2019, 07:27:55 pm »

Can't disagree with that. Capitalism serves the rich, and is meant (ostensibly) to enrich the poor through trickle-down bullshit, therefore recessions are natural in Capitalism. I think we're on the same wavelength here.

Naturally it does not do what it purports and only enriches the rich, as most governments are intended to do.

EDIT: I do think it's possible for recessions to be brought around by stupidity, though. Possible example forthcoming, stay tuned for a few months.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31608 on: August 14, 2019, 07:30:37 pm »

There's another shooting happening in Philadelphia right now. Six officers shot, none killed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31609 on: August 14, 2019, 07:37:25 pm »

Holy geez, I was aware of it because my company delivers in Philly, but I had no idea it had gotten that bad since I last heard about it.

Six officers. They're going to further militarize the police, you know. That's what happened last time with what was it, the North Hollywood bank robbery way back when? That got used as a justification for a lot of increased arming of police at the time.

Also that's what.... 5? Are we up to five major shootings in 30 days now?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31610 on: August 14, 2019, 08:01:27 pm »

I don't think the rich cause (or really want) recessions.  I do think they have the tools and resources to more easily recover or even gain during a recession.

But I've been saying for a good while that the '08 rec never really ended in anything but words.  When Joey average needs to work 80 hours in three part time jobs to live, the economy isn't doing well.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31611 on: August 14, 2019, 08:01:46 pm »

I do not agree that recessions are intentional or there's some rich-person international cabal who sets exactly when these things happen
It's called investment banking. There doesn't need to be cabals or explicit agreements because capitalists, as a distinct class, have coinciding interests even when in competition and so broadly pursue the same goals. All capitalists benefit from workers being in a state of precariousness, and so tend to support policies that result in that outcome without needing to agree upon it. Of course, we today also exist in a web of hellish propaganda which further strengthens this goal, which then feeds back into the incentive level as members of the capitalist class become increasingly weird and apocalyptic on the level of conscious ideology. This is where people who want to eat up the Earth so Jesus will burn the billions of dirty foreigner sinners come from.

Anyway, you could sort-of argue it's not intentional, but only in the sense that it's impossible for a capitalist to not set the cycle in motion unless they go full class traitor which necessitates them divesting their wealth anyway.
Like, really bad. It's pretty damn clear who recovered from 2008 and who didn't.
This on the other hand was super intentional and decided by very individual actors. There was zero actual recovery from 2008 because recovering was impossible even for the rich due to existing wealth concentration. To get around this the federal government loaned hundreds of billions of dollars out exclusively to owners of capital and then "lost" on the investment, i.e. taking more wealth from you and giving it to the rich. This is one of the few cases where taxation was actually theft.

The rest of us just settled into a new reality. You'll be asked to settle again during the Great Annihilation (I'm going to keep using the name. Nobody can stop me.).
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31612 on: August 14, 2019, 08:09:49 pm »

Well, in the past 30 days, there's been Philadelphia, Riverside, Hickory, Chicago, San Francisco, Richmond, Chicago, St.Louis, Detroit, Suitland, Brooklyn, Memphis, Grenada, Chicago again (twice), Dayton, El Paso, Pomfret, Suffolk, Elkhart, Southaven, Haskell, Rosenberg, Columbus, Chippewa Falls, Gilroy, Uniontown, Philadelphia again, Chicago yet again, DC, Wichita, Brooklyn, Albemarle, Los Angeles, Pembroke Park, Chicago yet again, DC again, Jersey City, Clairton, Chicago two more times, Lubbock, San Antonio, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Baltimore.

So we're past five.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31613 on: August 14, 2019, 08:10:23 pm »

As for the next one, as I mentioned earlier the main two things that can be hit for a debt deflationary spiral are student loans and car loans, but I don't think car loans are significant enough. That leaves student loans.
whynotboth.png
What happens when a bunch of people default on a debt that they have with the federal government?
Theoretically a sovereign default, though if that happens to the US people really are going to start using Great Annihilation as the name. In practice the US will likely use a number of financial tricks to financially cannibalize the government and/or the general population in order to avoid that event, which of course is more likely due to the experienced financiers at the top levels of our gover-

Oh.

Oh no.

Well, in the past 30 days, there's been Philadelphia, Riverside, Hickory, Chicago, San Francisco, Richmond, Chicago, St.Louis, Detroit, Suitland, Brooklyn, Memphis, Grenada, Chicago again (twice), Dayton, El Paso, Pomfret, Suffolk, Elkhart, Southaven, Haskell, Rosenberg, Columbus, Chippewa Falls, Gilroy, Uniontown, Philadelphia again, Chicago yet again, DC, Wichita, Brooklyn, Albemarle, Los Angeles, Pembroke Park, Chicago yet again, DC again, Jersey City, Clairton, Chicago two more times, Lubbock, San Antonio, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Baltimore.

So we're past five.
So at what point do we stop giving these individual Wikipedia articles and start considering it a domestic conflict?
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31614 on: August 14, 2019, 08:11:19 pm »

Holy geez, I was aware of it because my company delivers in Philly, but I had no idea it had gotten that bad since I last heard about it.

Six officers. They're going to further militarize the police, you know. That's what happened last time with what was it, the North Hollywood bank robbery way back when? That got used as a justification for a lot of increased arming of police at the time.

This was police executing a drug raid on.someone who didn't want to be raided. Fundamentally different situation.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31615 on: August 14, 2019, 08:21:43 pm »

My family's income isn't even on that chart. Send help XD

Anyway yeah I again agree with Metal. It's not intentional in that the recession is their end goal, but it is in that they are perfectly aware that their actions cause a recession as a side effect. Which they also plan to benefit from.

Also I can't think of a better name than Great Annihilation for almost anything, really. Frankly I think they are 100% aware that their system is unsustainable, leading to paranoia. It's a question of when the next big depression is coming, not if.

Quote from: I pulled these out of my ass in like 2 minutes, there's a lot of examples of this
1 Corinthians 11:31
But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment.

2 Peter 2:4
For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment...

Revelation 20:12
And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

But of course, in direct opposition to what God his own self has written in the bible according to Christianity, so many of us are like ha ha I can justify my outspoken racism and remarkably selfish social policies because I'm a special White American Christian not like those people from other countries. THE BIBLE says God doesn't give a shit if you're great or small or a literal angel but I'M getting a PASS because the INTERNET SAID SO.

They're worse than anyone else. I have far less respect for them than I do for people who never professed faith and hold the same racist beliefs, which isn't much to begin with.

Sorry to bring up religion in the face of all this. I'm in a pissy mood today.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31616 on: August 14, 2019, 08:59:31 pm »

What happens when a bunch of people default on a debt that they have with the federal government?

Clearly, the good-hearted rich folks at the major investment banks will decide to help their friends in need, and bail out the federal government in return out of their sheer, altruistic integrity, paying back exactly the amount of money the Feds lost (adjusted for inflation, of course). See? The bail-out wasn't a bad decision at all!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:03:43 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31617 on: August 14, 2019, 10:03:27 pm »

As for the next one, as I mentioned earlier the main two things that can be hit for a debt deflationary spiral are student loans and car loans, but I don't think car loans are significant enough. That leaves student loans.
whynotboth.png
Theoretically a sovereign default, though if that happens to the US people really are going to start using Great Annihilation as the name. In practice the US will likely use a number of financial tricks to financially cannibalize the government and/or the general population in order to avoid that event, which of course is more likely due to the experienced financiers at the top levels of our gover-

Oh.

Oh no.

So we're past five.
So at what point do we stop giving these individual Wikipedia articles and start considering it a domestic conflict?
This is bad. All of this. All if it is bad. Yet there are people who still think America is #1. There needs to be something done

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31618 on: August 14, 2019, 10:29:17 pm »

wichita?

No, not so much.
https://www.kwch.com/content/news/No-WPD-did-not-thwart-mass-shooting-at-Towne-West-Mall-524352061.html

(thats like an hour from here, I would have definitely heard about a mass shooting that close. No dice on that one.)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31619 on: August 15, 2019, 01:48:33 am »

I'm pretty much at a point where I regret not raising my children like Hit Girl (when I'm not regretting having children at all), and am resigned to being unprepared for the coming shitstorm because just surviving day to day on the way there was hard enough.  The best we can hope for is that everything collapses into total chaos, instead of a fascist government rising out of the fire and going into full extermination mode.

By which I mean the current government fails to hold together when the shit really hits the fan, instead of hardening up.  It's already a fascist government in early low-intensity stages of extermination mode.  When the next financial crisis hits is when they'll be most likely to kick into overdrive, and truly live up to the name Great Annihilation.

Six officers. They're going to further militarize the police, you know.

Question is... how much more can they militarize police?  They're already regularly outfitted with automatic weapons and body armor in situations that don't call for it.  They'll have to be patrolling the streets with tanks and rpgs to be any more militarized.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:58:02 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 2106 2107 [2108] 2109 2110 ... 3514