Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2128 2129 [2130] 2131 2132 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533541 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #31935 on: August 25, 2019, 11:43:27 am »

Wouldn't you technically "go to jail" (metaphorically, as in at least be punished) for not paying tariffs too though :P

That's like saying a tax on something is the same as it being illegal, since if you don't pay the tax, you'll "go to jail". Clearly, they're different things. No, sanctions and tariffs are different things, the same as something being taxed is different to it being completely illegal.

Yet when I levied a 10% tax on the amount I was taxed last year that's exactly what happened :(
Love, scriver~

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #31936 on: August 25, 2019, 11:45:55 am »

Bames Nond's having a stronk, call a Bondulance

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31937 on: August 26, 2019, 03:19:48 pm »

Not sure if we have a more appropriate thread. But technically its still america...I guess...couldn't find a better thread unless I missed it.

But its looking like not too long in the future the amazon rainforest just won't exist. Its almost at a point of no return. That'll have a massive effect on climate throughout south america and the rest of the world, but also sad for all the species of animals, tribes and everything that lives within. Even without the fires, every minute there is a football field of forest cut down.

Very very sad.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:21:27 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31938 on: August 26, 2019, 03:39:44 pm »

I remember hearing that the Amazon rainforest contains around 10% of the world’s known species. When the rainforest is destroyed, 1 out of 10 known species will go extinct

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31939 on: August 26, 2019, 03:44:10 pm »

I remember hearing that the Amazon rainforest contains around 10% of the world’s known species. When the rainforest is destroyed, 1 out of 10 known species will go extinct

Not to mention all the undiscovered species. They still find new species of life all the time down there.

Would be on a scale relative to the mass extinction back in the pre-historic age from when the meteor hit and caused an ice age.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31940 on: August 26, 2019, 03:46:38 pm »

Not to mention all the undiscovered species. They still find new species of life all the time down there.

Would be on a scale relative to the mass extinction back in the pre-historic age from when the meteor hit and caused an ice age.
Unfortunatly, those who can do something won’t

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31941 on: August 26, 2019, 03:50:06 pm »

Not to mention all the undiscovered species.
Look on the bright side: They'll be easier to discover when they quit wrigglin'!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31942 on: August 26, 2019, 04:04:15 pm »

There is literally a guerilla war already going on between indigenous people and the loggers/burners. Figure it out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31943 on: August 26, 2019, 04:07:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure supporting indigenous militants who are currently being subjected to genocide is the actual exact opposite of colonialism.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31945 on: August 26, 2019, 04:15:37 pm »

Weren't you against proxy wars abroad? Or is it just a matter of "the right" proxy wars abroad?

To say nothing of the fact that Brazil is (circa Trump) a designated major ally. So, not just a proxy war, but a proxy war with an ally. I swear, every diplomat working for the US would simultaneously have a stroke at the mere proposition of that.
There is such a thing as nuance in this subject. It's not actually wrong to help people, you know, not be slaughtered by fascist scum. It just happens to be that America's cultural freedom fetish lets our capitalist pigs excuse anything by claiming they were doing that.

This is an actual conflict that exists. It wasn't made up by some CIA jackal like Iraq or Vietnam. On one side are indigenous people who have been persecuted for centuries and the next hundred thousand years of what life on Earth looks like, and on the other are what now amounts to apocalypse cultists. I wouldn't trust the US to land Marines in the Amazon short of our current system of government ceasing to exist, but it wouldn't hurt to have a global supply campaign at least. Shame all the mass media is also owned by apocalypse cultists.
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31946 on: August 26, 2019, 04:22:08 pm »

Let's try this again.

The US government isn't the only mechanism for doing things.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31947 on: August 26, 2019, 04:30:04 pm »

Either way, I see it as the last nail in civilization's coffin if nothing is done soon to save the Amazon.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31948 on: August 26, 2019, 04:30:28 pm »

I know. When I said the people who could do something won’t, I was referring the Brazilian government, which, according to the video I linked earlier(sources used in the video being in the description), the current government cut back on environmental protections which allows this to continue happening. Bosinaro does not care about the environment, only about profits.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31949 on: August 26, 2019, 05:20:21 pm »

Either way, I see it as the last nail in civilization's coffin if nothing is done soon to save the Amazon.
Eh, I think you're either giving too much credit to climate change or too little credit to civilization.

As I'm often pointing out to people, climate change is apocalyptic, but there are several other apocalyptic environmental situations going on at the same time.  I don't like how mainstream environmental politics is so tunnel visioned on climate change.  I wish the common phrase would be environmental collapse, instead.  Habitat destruction, pesticides, and plastics in the ocean are all going to destroy us if they continue unabated.

The Amazon lives right at the intersection of many of these concerns.

But yeah, I genuinely think that human civilization is far more dependent on a healthy natural environment than most realize or want to admit, and that the current state of the environment is apocalyptic.  Hand-waving that technological innovation is going to save us is magical thinking.  And with only a few years left and all of these problems accelerating in pace, it's still only on the fringes that anybody is acknowledging the kind of changes necessary to address these problems.  Republicans think any concern for the environment whatsoever is based on radical hysterical lies.  Meanwhile, centrist Democrats think a submarine that goes around replacing melting glaciers with perpetual motion energy is more realistic than a Green New Deal.  I don't see why I should be giving civilization very much credit right now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottsnowden/2019/08/19/ice-making-mini-submarines-is-the-latest-idea-to-re-freeze-the-arctic/#44235663673e

Plus... you do know the Amazon is directly responsible for a pretty big chunk of the world's oxygen supply, right?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:23:27 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 2128 2129 [2130] 2131 2132 ... 3511