Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2213 2214 [2215] 2216 2217 ... 2222

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1078008 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33210 on: September 12, 2019, 08:27:51 am »

You got paid to work during college? Unpaid work (internships, mostly) is a requirement more and more. It helps keep people down, so I assume it will become more common.

They seriously don't think that far ahead, that internships are "keeping people down" in some sort of class warfare sense. Internships exist purely because they can get away with it. It's a labor supply and demand thing. If there's a shortage of people with the right diploma they'll start paying you for your internship, or just skip to locking you in with a job.

EDIT: also to the point: there's a supply of people willing to do it. If nobody was willing to take the unpaid internships, you'd find the practice abolished almost instantly. It's only a thing because you and fellow workers let it be a thing. It's only a "requirement" because there are people willing to do it, the companies cannot enforce the existence of unpaid internships.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:39:17 am by Reelya »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33211 on: September 12, 2019, 08:44:16 am »

You got paid to work during college? Unpaid work (internships, mostly) is a requirement more and more. It helps keep people down, so I assume it will become more common.

They seriously don't think that far ahead, that internships are "keeping people down" in some sort of class warfare sense. Internships exist purely because they can get away with it. It's a labor supply and demand thing. If there's a shortage of people with the right diploma they'll start paying you for your internship, or just skip to locking you in with a job.
Well, yeah, they do it because they can, but a strong shortage of people with the right diploma, etc. ain't stopping anyone from still running unpaid internships. They're less popular yes, but I'm pretty sure game devs are still preying on people new to the industry with that BS.

What I'm saying is we should criminalize wage theft, especially unpaid internships (maybe a carve-out for non-profits or small business.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I transcribe things, too.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33213 on: September 12, 2019, 11:55:37 am »

Another example at the sort of things that prevent people from "getting ahead".
I think the only way, ultimately, that you can get rid of corruption and abuse of power is by instilling in people mutual respect.  I don't think you can do it by laws alone.  Yes, we can have laws that say you can't discriminate, but you can't make a law that causes people to actually respect and value each other.

We do have laws that try to prevent expression of disrespect (banning hate speech, etc.) but those laws don't address why that sentiment was there in the first place.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33214 on: September 12, 2019, 12:16:09 pm »

Excellent piece Salmon, I loved reading it. Right now I'm pinning all my hopes on joining the military, and if I get rejected for joining, I honestly don't even know what I'm going to do; I just don't see another viable path for advancing out of the "Hopeless Plebeian Trash" caste of the economy, and by extension getting any of the things I really want out of life.

You mentioned suicide, and I think the rash of mass shooting throughout America is just another extension of that, just another way to commit suicide while also dealing damage (however futile) to the society that created them to be so miserable in the first place. That's my theory.

This. If I don't get in the Navy I can stay at my trashy job, get marginalized and overworked more and more, then eventually fired or quit, or I can try to get a job pipelining or welding or something.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33215 on: September 12, 2019, 12:48:34 pm »

EDIT: also to the point: there's a supply of people willing to do it. If nobody was willing to take the unpaid internships, you'd find the practice abolished almost instantly. It's only a thing because you and fellow workers let it be a thing. It's only a "requirement" because there are people willing to do it, the companies cannot enforce the existence of unpaid internships.

People tried that. That's why they're now mandatory. Of fucking course there's a supply of people willing to do it when their choices are 1) take unpaid work to finish your degree so you can get a job or 2) go work at a below-poverty wage elsewhere. The only people who can afford to work without pay are already doing well financially, and have families who are doing well enough to cover for them.
To improve communication, all sarcasm and other jokes will be posted in a black font.

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33216 on: September 12, 2019, 02:06:20 pm »

They're not mandatory everywhere, you know. Also, not all internships are unpaid. Hell, I've seen more paid internships than unpaid ones where I am.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:10:30 pm by Ispil »
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33217 on: September 12, 2019, 03:05:24 pm »

Hmm, apparently the Supreme court has allowed a Trump administration policy to take effect that says the US won't honor asylum applications if the applicant hasn't applied to the countries they traveled through already.

The policy is still in court, but it can now go into effect.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33218 on: September 12, 2019, 03:40:37 pm »

Watch those countries make a fast track passthrough asylum classification.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33219 on: September 12, 2019, 11:58:11 pm »

In other news, California basically just outlawed the gig economy. More specifically, it defined a contractor as someone who does work outside of the normal work of that of the company. This means that, say, Uber drivers, are now classified as employees.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33220 on: September 13, 2019, 12:07:24 am »

I saw something about Uber (or maybe it was Lyft) refusing to do that despite the law.

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33221 on: September 13, 2019, 12:29:25 am »

Then I imagine the drivers will sue.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33222 on: September 13, 2019, 12:58:07 am »

"Uber is a technology company" is their excuse there.

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33223 on: September 13, 2019, 01:07:30 am »

Which will hold up in courts as about as well as a sack of lead bricks holds up in a hot air balloon.

It's like the argument that Apple tried to make with regards to its app store- that its customers are in fact the developers of apps and not the people buying the apps, and that therefore they are not liable for any apps relative to the person buying the apps.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 01:09:02 am by Ispil »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 2213 2214 [2215] 2216 2217 ... 2222