Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2197 2198 [2199] 2200 2201 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532543 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #32970 on: October 17, 2019, 06:47:06 am »

We also have to think that a lot of in-between steps are going to happen in that scenario. For example, consider that Coca Cola could automate all production, thus minimizing the costs of Coca Cola. However at the same time, all other companies are also automating everything, thus also minimizing the number of Coca Cola customers ... they'd end up with this huge automated factory making Coca Cola that there isn't any market for. Which just implies that they wouldn't have built that factory in the first place. The scenario of vast automated factories and nothing else thus won't happen, because there will be an equally vast lack of any customers.

It could be viewed as a Prisoner's Dilemma situation however. "Cooperate" is for the company to hire workers to make your product, where "backstab" is for the company to automate everything. The problem is that from any one company's point of view, automating everything is the way to go, but from a big-picture view, when all companies automate they crash the entire economy: no customers, no market, very few actual automated factories in existence. This may be how communism actually comes about. All the companies stab each other by shedding labor and automating in order to get a relative advantage, only to find nobody has a market anymore at the end of it, and the economy gradually becomes more and more dependent on direct government stimulus.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #32971 on: October 17, 2019, 06:47:51 am »

If labor is no longer desired, we just have to find universal values for something else that everyone has! I propose blood.

... giving new meaning to the term "blood bank."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32972 on: October 17, 2019, 06:50:30 am »

If labor is no longer desired, we just have to find universal values for something else that everyone has! I propose blood.

My blue blood is worth a little more than yours
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32973 on: October 17, 2019, 06:53:37 am »

Yep, blood is indeed something everyone has, and can regenerate given enough time when the person is alive, though a blood based economy would be dangerous for obvious reasons. Maybe animal blood? but what animal blood is worth more than the blood of other anmals? And what of hemolymph? The "blood" of arthropods?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #32974 on: October 17, 2019, 06:56:05 am »

If we didn't use human blood, it wouldn't be a resource that everyone has. This also means that whatever application we find needs to only work with human blood.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32975 on: October 17, 2019, 06:56:13 am »

horseshoe crab blood is worth a fortune. but already suffers tragedy of the commons type problems with collection.

also, some people are barred from donating blood. (certain cancers, some diseases.. etc.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #32976 on: October 17, 2019, 06:58:15 am »

They're currently barred from donating it to humans, but they still have blood. Really, this is all pointing towards  a demonic sacrifice based economy.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32977 on: October 17, 2019, 07:01:06 am »

Yep, blood is indeed something everyone has, and can regenerate given enough time when the person is alive, though a blood based economy would be dangerous for obvious reasons. Maybe animal blood? but what animal blood is worth more than the blood of other anmals? And what of hemolymph? The "blood" of arthropods?
Horseshoe crab blood is apparently like current!diamond tier in value or somethin', yeah. Stuff's near worth its weight in gold, way more valuable than human blood.

Which is a problem, because predictably this has led to us fucking with horseshoe crabs fairly fiercely, but that's a different discussion.

Also ninja'd, but it's way too early to ignore the siren call of sunk cost posting, so here we are.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32978 on: October 17, 2019, 08:26:12 am »

I would say we should be careful discussing things we all have that can't be automated, but, here we go: attention is something anyone can give which isn't the same when automated.

Best case: doing stuff which is interesting or making stuff in ways that interest others is rewarded accordingly.

Worse case: [TO FINISH READING THIS POST, WATCH THREE MORE ADS]

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32979 on: October 17, 2019, 08:40:02 am »

The good news is that they'll stop targeting you with ads once they decide you are worthless as a consumer.

Maybe there will be a few people with money and they'll pay for premium subscriptions, and the rest of us get paid to watch adds while playing / interacting with the platforms, but in reality we're really being paid to be fodder / background for the paying consumers. The real 'product' that Facebook offers is the fact that there are a lot of people to interact with. If they decide most people aren't worth showing ads, they'll still need a way to maintain the platform to keep the economically worthwhile few engaged.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:42:03 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32981 on: October 17, 2019, 11:47:21 am »

Oh this story is a bunch of fucked up

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/trump-official-tried-to-force-harry-dunns-parents-to-hug-his-alleged-killer-in-sick-publicity-stunt/news-story/18d910d7d40e6838c14a33d60a97d6e9

So, the wife of an American diplomat kills a boy in Britain who was riding a motorcycle, because she was driving on the wrong side of the road. She was then whisked out of Britain on a US military flight on the (false) claim she had diplomatic immunity.

Then, the parents of the boy were brought over to the US to meet an unnamed "senior US official". they think they might meet the President basically, get some sort of apology. What they got instead was being blindsided by a surprise photo-op in which some no-name Whitehouse officials tried to stage a photo with the parents "hugging" the woman who ran over their son.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32982 on: October 17, 2019, 11:52:40 am »

WTF?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32983 on: October 17, 2019, 11:58:41 am »

I'd also read that they'd basically been ambushed (in their words).

Also, the emoluments clause sirens just got cranked to 11, the WH has announced that the G7 summit next year will be at Trump's Miami Doral resort. The Guardian liveblog with bits on it.

Given the slim but very real risk of a hurricane strike, they'd better have a backup plan. Also, they'd REALLY hope that the place doesn't have bedbugs as the alleged report said (though that was years ago).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32984 on: October 17, 2019, 12:00:23 pm »

Oh sure! Killer forgiveness photos, super trendy right now, they're all the rage! Parents missed out on some huge likes and shares by passing on that opportunity.
Pages: 1 ... 2197 2198 [2199] 2200 2201 ... 3511