Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2263 2264 [2265] 2266 2267 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595668 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33960 on: January 08, 2020, 04:25:51 pm »

It's a preemptive strike right? Gosh it's right on the tip of my tongue.....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33961 on: January 08, 2020, 04:31:03 pm »

And may have been where he was more or less at our request, from what I've seen of chatter. Basically we murdered a high level iranian official under the flag of truce, pissing on iraqi sovereignty as we went.
Which would technically be perfidy, a war crime under Geneva Protocol I.

But (un)surprisingly, neither the US nor Iran have ratified it.

Iraq has though, which makes for a very interesting--albeit likely non-existent--court battle.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33962 on: January 09, 2020, 04:52:20 am »

I agree that it was unjustified. It doesn’t bode well for us if our government can’t stop itself from killing people willy nilly. I’m not even sure why Trump/the military killed Qassim.

Trump ordered the killing because of a Tweet.

Trump was saying how he's going to get Iran on Twitter, and the Iranian leader tweeted back "you can't do anything". This is what got Trump worked up enough to order someone to be murdered. Seriously, you're being ruled by a Mob Boss. It's Trump's version of kidnapping your best friend and having them thrown into the river with "concrete overshoes", and he did it purely because he thought the leader of Iran was laughing at him.

Trump's a homicidal sociopath, so don't expect what he did to make sense to yourself. This is the type of guy who orders revenge killings so he can get a laugh out of it at someone else's expense.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 05:00:29 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33963 on: January 09, 2020, 04:58:10 am »

The mistake is in thinking that there are any kinds of checks and balances in the US's government anymore.

The only thing that has been keeping this kind of bullshit at bay has been the personal character of the people elected to the office. There used to be real separation of powers, but then we had to give the war powers act, and subsequent handing of authority over to the executive bit by bit, and now we have orange dumbfuck with an inferiority complex raging over twitter, and sending missiles to soothe his petty fits.

This kind of shit is why those separation of powers were designed to be there, and what they were designed to prevent.  Perhaps instead of going further down the partisan rabbit hole, we should agree to start pulling power back from the executive, and plugging the bleeding holes in that system?

No?

Of course not, that would require idiots with more money and power than sensibility to actually do what's right for the country and not for themselves.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33964 on: January 09, 2020, 07:40:37 am »

So you are retreating from Irak or not? I get the sense you are but somehow things will get worse out of it and eventually will return or don't know... the whole region if more fucked up than Venezuela. That's saying A LOT.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33965 on: January 09, 2020, 08:36:47 am »

We've been focusing a lot more energy on destabilizing the Middle East than we have on South America.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33966 on: January 09, 2020, 08:41:22 am »

So you are retreating from Irak or not?
The military force of the United States of America does not retreat; we simply invade the other direction.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33967 on: January 09, 2020, 08:43:52 am »

So you are retreating from Irak or not?
The military force of the United States of America does not retreat; we simply invade the other direction.

You aren't kidding. I remember being told in late 2001 that there were not any jobs available at a lot of companies in my chosen field because of the effect the war had on the economy, but as soon as the war was over, things would come back. Still waiting on that one.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33968 on: January 09, 2020, 09:08:40 am »

If you were told that you couldn't get a job in your field back in 2001 it probably wouldn't matter that things have improved in the last 19 years: ageism.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33969 on: January 09, 2020, 09:54:22 am »

If you were told that you couldn't get a job in your field back in 2001 it probably wouldn't matter that things have improved in the last 19 years: ageism.

I also haven't used the information in 19 years, so I can't remember how to do anything. Not that it matters now, the jobs don't exist.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33970 on: January 09, 2020, 02:58:19 pm »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/09/politics/is-iran-ukraine-plane/index.html

Trump trying to push the narrative that Iran shot down the plane.

While I wasn't ruling that out before, why does it seem less plausible now that he's said it?

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/iran-plane-crash-investigation/h_45a383caa4f0d6a9b168058eaed7d012

Well, Canada backs it up. :/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:10:06 pm by sluissa »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33971 on: January 09, 2020, 03:22:06 pm »

The first URL there looks more like they're asking the question of whether or not Iran is actually (in part or in whole) Ukraine.

Which was a question I was disturbingly unsurprised by, considering how completely ludicrous the world has been the past few years.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33972 on: January 09, 2020, 04:22:34 pm »

We'll just have to ask South Africa or Iraq to help us get maps for our US American children's education. ...and so forth.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33973 on: January 09, 2020, 05:24:53 pm »

I thought it was asking if Iran is tangent to the same plane as the Ukraine, which is absurd, the fiber bundle would only be cotangent across that distance if local spacetime were totally flat or some bullshit.

Also, does anybody else think maybe Trump is just in the midst of a multi-decadal hissyfit he started when his big brother got a funeral and casket and he didn't get one?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33974 on: January 09, 2020, 07:06:36 pm »

I mean ukraine and iran are both part of the USSR right
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 2263 2264 [2265] 2266 2267 ... 3515