Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2279 2280 [2281] 2282 2283 ... 2527

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1526792 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34200 on: January 22, 2020, 08:41:46 pm »

Iran admitted the destruction of the Ukrainian plane was an accident.

To be fair, a rogue nation had just stated they already had bombers on the way, after repeated harassment. When you're expecting an air-based attack, someone's going to accidentally shoot down an unexpected plane.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34201 on: January 23, 2020, 06:52:27 am »

In the news yesterday:

Sanders strongly encroaching on Biden's territory in the democratic primaries, despite the near 100% negative coverage of him by the press.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/politics/cnn-poll-sanders-biden-january-national/index.html

GOP senators vote in 100% partisan fashion, making impeachment trial a farce.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-impeachment-trial-live-updates-senate-rejects-democrats/story?id=68410003

Know what I hope for?

The GOP shows itself to be a monolithic blockade of bullshit fuckwits, and they all get voted out.
Trump becomes a poster child for GOP abuse of government and due process that causes a voting revolution
Bernie beats Biden in all the polls, and wins the election

What I would really prefer:
Trump gets booted from office, and then tried in all those legal cases he has postponed for 4 years while in office, found guilty, and goes to jail.

GOP lawmakers get ousted and then subjected to their own impeachments.

But those are so far removed from remotely reasonable (because of how fucked this country is right now) that I doubt that will happen. The first list has some possibility of happening though, which is why I hope for it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:02:01 am by wierd »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34202 on: January 23, 2020, 07:44:01 am »

I'm afraid that once the impeachment fails, the GOP will become aware that for all intents and purposes they won. Because if they got a president elected through shady means and that same president can do whatever the fuck he wants without repercussions... then they can do it again forever.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Does a Laconian believe they descend from Achilles? Does an anon believe a greentext happened? Does a child believe in air? We choose the fake news we want. The eternal memri.tv

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34203 on: January 23, 2020, 08:36:27 am »

I'm afraid that once the impeachment fails, the GOP all politicians will become aware that for all intents and purposes they won. Because if they got a president elected through shady means and that same president can do whatever the fuck he wants without repercussions... then they anyone can do it again forever.
FTFY

Yes just so happens a certain party "did it first" but it's a proof-of-concept exploit that anyone could use.

Aside:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34204 on: January 23, 2020, 09:50:22 am »

Fake news and propoganda on social media saw an upswing that election.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34205 on: January 23, 2020, 01:46:30 pm »

GOP?

Great Order of Pussies?

Grim Onager Puppy?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34206 on: January 23, 2020, 01:48:49 pm »

Grand Old Party. It's the republican party's nickname.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34207 on: January 23, 2020, 02:41:32 pm »

Oh... and dems are the LYP? Little young party? Hehehe... (GOP) it seems like a pretty pendantic nickname if it's selfimposed. A bit shy of something like The First Order or the likes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:43:13 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34208 on: January 23, 2020, 02:42:47 pm »

Oh... and dems are the LYP? Little young party? Hehehe... it seems like a pretty pendantic nickname if it's selfimposed.
Nah, the Dems don't have a nickname. I could go for a FALGSC party tho.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34209 on: January 23, 2020, 02:45:45 pm »

Agreed. I'm surprised anyone disagrees with Ocasio-Cortez.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34210 on: January 23, 2020, 02:47:14 pm »

Speaking of politics* this week we have seen(heard most accurately) lots of combat planes over our city. We have a air force base here and combat exercises  common every other tuesday but this week they have given those old rusky planes a good beating. We live the other side of the city so I don't think we'll be in direct trouble in case of the worst (unless a nuclear attack is in due order) but surely doesn't help to the nerves the constant maneuvering.

*Good old fashion gunboat politics I meant.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:57:50 pm by LordBaal »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34211 on: January 23, 2020, 02:50:24 pm »

Oh... and dems are the LYP? Little young party? Hehehe... (GOP) it seems like a pretty pendantic nickname if it's selfimposed. A bit shy of something like The First Order or the likes.

The term "Grand Old Party" is a traditional nickname for the Republican Party and the abbreviation "GOP" is a commonly used designation. The term originated in 1875 in the Congressional Record, referring to the party associated with the successful military defense of the Union as "this gallant old party"

Back in the 19th century the Republican Party  opposed slavery and was regarded as progressive. Abraham Lincon was a Republican president.  Things started to switch around in the 30s-40s.

Tbh I found out one day on a wikipedia binge about the American Civil War. It was astonishing to see how they turned about from being a kind-of-progressive party into one that is utterly reactionary.

Though tbh it's not an isolated example. History has plenty of examples of people doing turnabouts. In shorter time-spans even.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:53:48 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Viva Pinata establishes that the things bothering you in life are weeds that have to be killed. Bejewelled puts you into a coldly calculating mindset. In KSP you learn how to build and operate a ballistic missile.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34212 on: January 23, 2020, 02:54:51 pm »

Oh so it is a noble nickname after all. And Ocasio-Cortez, from what I can gather from here seems a bit too enthusiastic and/or agressive, if true I guess she has her reasons to be like that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34213 on: January 23, 2020, 04:45:55 pm »

The Republicans were massively reactionary from the moment they ejected the radical abolitionists and went whole-hog on making nice with the slaver class. They merely embraced nastier social policies in the post-New Deal environment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34214 on: January 23, 2020, 07:35:29 pm »

Neither party had any real ideological basis to differentiate them, both swinging widely between policy positions based mostly on whether they happened to be in control. Southern democrats, for instance, before starting the civil war by seceding over """state's rights""" had been proponents of federal power over the states just years prior while it suited them (i.e. while they controlled it).

Really, both parties were essentially criminal organizations squatting on the system (which only appropriated any real political direction from external popular movements if forced to do so) until... until... well...
Pages: 1 ... 2279 2280 [2281] 2282 2283 ... 2527