Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2281 2282 [2283] 2284 2285 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3589305 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34230 on: January 23, 2020, 02:50:24 pm »

Oh... and dems are the LYP? Little young party? Hehehe... (GOP) it seems like a pretty pendantic nickname if it's selfimposed. A bit shy of something like The First Order or the likes.

The term "Grand Old Party" is a traditional nickname for the Republican Party and the abbreviation "GOP" is a commonly used designation. The term originated in 1875 in the Congressional Record, referring to the party associated with the successful military defense of the Union as "this gallant old party"

Back in the 19th century the Republican Party  opposed slavery and was regarded as progressive. Abraham Lincon was a Republican president.  Things started to switch around in the 30s-40s.

Tbh I found out one day on a wikipedia binge about the American Civil War. It was astonishing to see how they turned about from being a kind-of-progressive party into one that is utterly reactionary.

Though tbh it's not an isolated example. History has plenty of examples of people doing turnabouts. In shorter time-spans even.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:53:48 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34231 on: January 23, 2020, 02:54:51 pm »

Oh so it is a noble nickname after all. And Ocasio-Cortez, from what I can gather from here seems a bit too enthusiastic and/or agressive, if true I guess she has her reasons to be like that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34232 on: January 23, 2020, 04:45:55 pm »

The Republicans were massively reactionary from the moment they ejected the radical abolitionists and went whole-hog on making nice with the slaver class. They merely embraced nastier social policies in the post-New Deal environment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34233 on: January 23, 2020, 07:35:29 pm »

Neither party had any real ideological basis to differentiate them, both swinging widely between policy positions based mostly on whether they happened to be in control. Southern democrats, for instance, before starting the civil war by seceding over """state's rights""" had been proponents of federal power over the states just years prior while it suited them (i.e. while they controlled it).

Really, both parties were essentially criminal organizations squatting on the system (which only appropriated any real political direction from external popular movements if forced to do so) until... until... well...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34234 on: January 23, 2020, 07:46:05 pm »

Really, all parties are essentially criminal organizations
FFY
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #34235 on: January 24, 2020, 01:32:14 pm »

Ok, so the problem here is not specifically that parties change their political and philosophical goals and foundations in order to remain relevant. The problem is when a party becomes more loyal to itself than to the government it is a part of -- which is caused by a change of those values.

Nor is it reasonable nor plausible to imagine a scenario in which a new form of government immune to factionalism emerges without violent upheaval. There does remain the plausible scenario in which parts of existing factions are co-opted and made acceptable.

The flexibility of parties is what gives them strength. Facing that strength by trying to tear them down will be unsuccessful. Subverting that strength by redirecting the party from within stands a chance at success.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34236 on: January 24, 2020, 05:26:21 pm »

Just looking over the 538 poll numbers... and I'm just filled with the feeling that we're going to get another 4 years of Trump. Biden is pulling out all the stops to be as hateable as Clinton was. Still leading in the polls by a slim to decent margin though. Less than a month away from the first primaries.

It's going to be a repeat of 2016. It's going to be a repeat, and I'm not even sure we can stop it now.

The biggest hope was that either Warren or Sanders would gain a little perspective and they'd start working together, either on the same ticket, or by one agreeing to drop out. Together they would have had enough support to beat back any of the other candidates. Now we've got this feud between them and I'm not sure if there's a big enough chunk of Sanders or Warren voters that would switch sides at this point.

I haven't been all that positive on the democratic field for a while now. But this... this is a low point.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #34237 on: January 24, 2020, 06:31:30 pm »

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34238 on: January 24, 2020, 07:12:51 pm »

I've been watching the live broadcast of Trump's impeachment trial. I dunno if anything'll come of it-- my hopes aren't too high-- but it's surely entertaining to hear the accusing lawyers lay down their case!  :D

You can find the broadcast here.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34239 on: January 24, 2020, 08:13:56 pm »

Remember: Sanders is the only person bringing in voters who aren't part of the Democratic coalition that is already proven failed by 2016, and they're not interested in "Blue Unity". They're only here for him. You can't scold them out of it and you can't force them to vote otherwise. And because of that, a vote against Sanders is by definition a vote for Donald Trump.

This isn't hard to see the outcome of. Back Sanders and we get to erase Trumpworld, oppose him and the crisis only escalates. We have to pick the candidate who is able to bring together the strongest coalition of voters possible, even if he's not your first choice.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34240 on: January 24, 2020, 08:23:51 pm »

So far like sanders more than anyone else I've seen.  That said, Armok, I hate how that is how our system works.  You can hate someone yet still have to vote for them because otherwise the guy you hate more wins.

Everything has not so much become a popularity contest its more who do you hate LEAST that has a snowball's chance in hell of winning.  It shouldn't work like that.

Sorry bout griping about the obvious, back to your regularly scheduled ameripol.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34241 on: January 24, 2020, 08:30:20 pm »

I've been watching the live broadcast of Trump's impeachment trial. I dunno if anything'll come of it-- my hopes aren't too high-- but it's surely entertaining to hear the accusing lawyers lay down their case!  :D

You can find the broadcast here.

You're paying a hundred times more attention than republican senators actually at the trial.  Congratz.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #34242 on: January 24, 2020, 09:29:15 pm »

Armok, I hate how that is how our system works.  You can hate someone yet still have to vote for them because otherwise the guy you hate more wins.
Everything has not so much become a popularity contest its more who do you hate LEAST that has a snowball's chance in hell of winning.  It shouldn't work like that.

FWIW, thanks to the House of Representatives your vote probably doesn't matter anyway, unless you happen to live in a swing state.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34243 on: January 24, 2020, 09:33:33 pm »

Remember: Sanders is the only person bringing in voters who aren't part of the Democratic coalition that is already proven failed by 2016, and they're not interested in "Blue Unity". They're only here for him. You can't scold them out of it and you can't force them to vote otherwise. And because of that, a vote against Sanders is by definition a vote for Donald Trump.

This isn't hard to see the outcome of. Back Sanders and we get to erase Trumpworld, oppose him and the crisis only escalates. We have to pick the candidate who is able to bring together the strongest coalition of voters possible, even if he's not your first choice.

Uh huh. Sure. Because that's constructive. That helps. /s

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34244 on: January 24, 2020, 09:49:07 pm »

It's the hard truth of the matter, so it's about the only thing that could help. I'm not memeing, not really. Under this shell somewhere is the 2016 MSH case for Bernie, which is the same then as it is now - he's the one that can realistically win and also the one that could preserve the future of this society.

And perhaps one of the only ones. The Bush-Clinton consensus is as crashed as a political paradigm gets. After Trump, there's no way people will give a mandate to politicians who insist on the old ways of running these elections. And Bernie is the only candidate who has both recognized that and has a strong path to victory.

Do I take some satisfaction in Bernie unironically being the unity candidate after all the smug bullshit to come out of the corporate Democrats? Of course I do. And if Bernie sits the Oval Office instead of Trump or the medical sarcophagus keeping Joe Biden legally alive, you better believe I will be an insufferable motherfucker on every medium I frequent for the next four years.

But like it or not, I'm also right.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2281 2282 [2283] 2284 2285 ... 3514