Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2317 2318 [2319] 2320 2321 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3571757 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34770 on: February 13, 2020, 03:43:20 pm »

Oh, they certainly aren't going to regulate it well, or fairly. But they've been given plenty of good excuses to regulate it. Smuggling drugs/weapons into prisons and ramming a landing plane aren't small potatoes.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34771 on: February 13, 2020, 03:51:45 pm »

Almost all of the public comments on that proposed drone rule are negative. Although in the summary of the meetings they've held with organizations, they seem to specify when a group has been supportive, but are more ambiguous about groups I'd expect to be critical of the proposed rule.

Personally, I'll keep flying my little drones(which are small enough they're probably exempt) around either way. I don't take them higher than treetop level anyway and I don't stray over other people's property.

I doubt enforcement will be going after people that don't make themselves a nuisance. But it is a pretty shitty rule that sounds like it's entirely in big business's favor.

I think the clear issue of "people doing illegal things with drones" isn't going to be fixed by just making more laws. The people doing illegal things obviously either don't know or don't care that they're doing illegal things. I'd start with making it a licensed activity. Not necessarily a "go through x amount of hours of training with an instructor" type of licensing. Just a "Here, read this, and then take this online quiz to test the knowledge." sort of thing for small recreational drones. It'd at least help with some of the people who simply aren't aware of the rules. Laws aren't going to stop people from doing the obviously illegal things like smuggling stuff into prison or ramming other aircraft. But education might help with some of the instances where they were just being stupid.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34772 on: February 13, 2020, 05:03:10 pm »

Actually this might be wholly aimed at Amazon's drone delivery service.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34773 on: February 13, 2020, 05:07:07 pm »

It might well be aimed at the Bez OS, but like most laws will instead be used to murder black people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34774 on: February 13, 2020, 05:11:59 pm »

It might well be aimed at the Bez OS, but like most laws will instead be used to murder black people.

You should get that looked at.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34775 on: February 13, 2020, 06:15:13 pm »

It *is* a long running American tradition. MSH is mainly shitposting here, though it could well be used to arrest black people flying recreational drones, unauthorized.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34776 on: February 13, 2020, 07:23:41 pm »

It *is* a long running American tradition. MSH is mainly shitposting here, though it could well be used to arrest black people flying recreational drones, unauthorized.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34778 on: February 13, 2020, 08:11:30 pm »

Only figuratively? Why even bother, then?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34779 on: February 13, 2020, 09:26:20 pm »

I mean... I don't wanna hit that, while I think the beard is an improvement, he is very far from a creamy brown afghani with piercing green eyes and a lush beard... and what was I talking about again?

Oh, drones, I saw the drone thing on a youtube video with the guys using vr goggles and doing crazy aerobatic shit and homemade drones of interesting designs, a triprop and biprop I think.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34780 on: February 13, 2020, 10:10:13 pm »

I mean... I don't wanna hit that, while I think the beard is an improvement, he is very far from a creamy brown afghani with piercing green eyes and a lush beard... and what was I talking about again?

Don't know what's going on with that, but it's got some grade A ***** energy there. Very specific... I approve.

Speaking of drones, ever since I started working at a place that does RFID tagging and the like on animals I have been a lot less worried about the idea of micro-drones being used in the military or domestically. Even if the tech is there, it is insanely cost prohibitive for something that poses that much of a liability. I think we might see some stuff as part of specialized operations and shit, but I don't think we will ever have to worry about city 17 style drone patrols and stuff.
It costs us upwards of 200$ for a quarter sized tag that does nothing but carry a transponder and a battery that lasts for a few weeks. Our kits that track location data on top of that cost around 2,000$, and last for half that time. Even just tracking animals we lose collars all the time for all kinda of reasons, and nobody is even trying to steal our tags or vandalize our animals. 
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34781 on: February 14, 2020, 08:39:42 am »

he is very far from a creamy brown afghani with piercing green eyes and a lush beard...

Agreed with helmacon. The description is too vague. We're going to need a picture or 3.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34782 on: February 14, 2020, 09:05:30 am »

Anyone else get the feeling that Bloomberg might actually have a chance?

Fuckin' Scary.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #34783 on: February 14, 2020, 09:34:20 am »

Anyone else get the feeling that Bloomberg might actually have a chance?

Fuckin' Scary.

No.  Negative stuff about him is everywhere right now.  And it's not just the sort of fuzzy indications of questionable history and untrustworthiness that Pete has.  The internet is exploding right now with infobombs about Bloomberg being an undeniable bigoted oligarch.  His ad blitz isn't going to work in the long run, and he'll regret ever running.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34784 on: February 14, 2020, 09:46:11 am »

No.  Negative stuff about him is everywhere right now.  And it's not just the sort of fuzzy indications of questionable history and untrustworthiness that Pete has.  The internet is exploding right now with infobombs about Bloomberg being an undeniable bigoted oligarch.  His ad blitz isn't going to work in the long run, and he'll regret ever running.

s/Bloomberg/Trump and you've got the 2016 election.
Pages: 1 ... 2317 2318 [2319] 2320 2321 ... 3514