Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2324 2325 [2326] 2327 2328 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532652 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34875 on: February 18, 2020, 12:06:10 pm »

"Catering"= Doing anything for on a policy level, instead of saying nice things during the campaign and then focusing on austerity and job training programs for toddlers once you get in.
While I do love your shitposting, I really do want sluissa's definition. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34876 on: February 18, 2020, 12:36:00 pm »

I thought Bloomberg was the one doing all the catering, since he could afford it.

They even served free drinks!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34877 on: February 18, 2020, 01:30:57 pm »

Catering would be explicitly dealing with issues for minorities(LGBTQ included) that are issues for the wider population without acknowledging it in that context and often without attempting to help the wider populace.

One of the examples that's extremely common is the idea of helping out poor black communities while poor whites often get no attention at all. The problem there isn't that black people are poor, it's that anyone is poor. Rising tide lifts all boats, and all that. Setup the minimum safety net for everyone, and make sure there are no holes to fall through, and that solves a lot of problems and makes it so that dumb people who are angry at welfare systems from a racial perspective have a much less sturdy soapbox to stand upon.

Looking at the complaints on https://www.queersagainstpete.com/letter(which was linked in the guardian article referenced earlier, and I hadn't actually read until this point) I don't see any one specific complaint that's directly related to being LGBTQ. It's all generic "not progressive enough" complaints that connect to LGBTQ via questionable intersectionality logic. They even acknowledge that he's for the Equality Act which is the one thing that IS directly related to LGBTQ issues that's addressed in the letter.

You can complain about things like(taken from the linked letter):
*universal free public college
*cancelling student loan debt
*restore the right to vote for all formerly and currently incarcerated people
*the concerns related to Eric Logan
*a moratorium to end deportations
*decriminalize border crossing
*Medicare for All and universal childcare
*demolished homes
*boycotting for political reasons
*cap credit card interest rates
*guarantee a job to everyone who needs one
*increasing of defense spending

Those are all legitimate issues to be worried about. And issues that if they bother you enough are reasons to not vote for Buttigieg.

But they are not LGBTQ issues, and framing them like that makes it seem like every LGBTQ person has to be on the side of the people who wrote that letter and completely silences LGBTQ people who might be more moderate or even conservative.

So, TL;DR: In this particular case, catering would be catering to left wing progressives when he's very obviously trying to be a moderate candidate. It just doesn't make sense, would alienate his current base, and he'd be fighting over the wedge of the electorate that already hates him for stupid reasons they aren't likely to get over from a few "promises" and already have a candidate they like.

I admit, when I said "cater to" I saw "protester" and assumed they were after something crazy, rather than just talking normal policies in a somewhat dishonest way. The article doesn't really describe what they were angry about except in general terms and that the fundraiser tickets were too expensive. In general though I'm talking about the push for specific legislation that sets apart LGBTQ as a protected class. If a law is good enough for LGBTQ people, it's good enough for everyone. And if for some reason the law protecting everyone isn't protecting LGBTQ people, that's an issue with the enforcement or implementation of the law that needs to be dealt with that a new law won't help. The Equality Act is in general a good example of a law(not perfect, but good), since it protects a gay person from not getting a job or a house because they're gay as much as it protects a straight person from not getting a house or a job because they're straight. I'm fine with the law being used more often in one direction than the other, but I'd be glad that it's there in case I do ever need it and it would piss me off if it didn't work in the other direction as well. Trying to set some sort of affirmative action for a specific group while ignoring others who aren't in that group is just begging for increased divisiveness.

We really should just be trying to help each individual that needs help, regardless of who they are or what kind of category or label you can put on them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34878 on: February 18, 2020, 02:17:53 pm »

Well you can say one thing about the progressive left I guess, they're consistent. No one gets a pass on absurd purity testing, not even the first openly gay candidate.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34879 on: February 18, 2020, 03:39:30 pm »

Well you can say one thing about the progressive left I guess, they're consistent. No one gets a pass on absurd purity testing, not even the first openly gay candidate.

He's not even the first openly gay Republican running for president.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34880 on: February 18, 2020, 03:52:49 pm »

I was not aware of Fred Karger.

Also Trump just pardoned Blagojevich and two other guys basically convicted of tax evasion, tax fraud and some other stuff.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 04:07:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34881 on: February 18, 2020, 04:12:51 pm »

My favorite quote was, "Seemed like a nice guy, never met him."

Apparently his wife begged on TV, and we all know that's the best way to get Trump's attention.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #34882 on: February 18, 2020, 04:20:22 pm »

I remember when Trump fired Blagojevich from the Celebrity Apprentice.
Pardening him? What a reversal!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #34883 on: February 18, 2020, 06:23:52 pm »

Also Trump just pardoned Blagojevich and two other guys basically convicted of tax evasion, tax fraud and some other stuff.

It was actually 11 guys total, all old white rich sleazeballs just like him.
The general thinking is that he is doing this to soften us up for when he pardons Stone next week, even though he has specifically denied that he is considering doing so.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34884 on: February 18, 2020, 06:45:02 pm »

Who is Stone? Sorry. I should probably be paying more attention to this stuff

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34885 on: February 18, 2020, 06:50:34 pm »

Probably Roger Stone, the one known for dressing like a literal cartoon villain. Convicted of at least obstruction of a congressional investigation, five counts of making false statements to Congress and tampering with a witness, and probably more my half-arsed ten second google missed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34886 on: February 18, 2020, 06:53:59 pm »

Thank you

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34887 on: February 18, 2020, 07:18:28 pm »

Unrelated:

An interview with Sanders from '81 sounds exactly like today. Including the interviewer basically not listening at all.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34888 on: February 18, 2020, 08:36:35 pm »

Incidentally, for a long time when I saw mention of Stone being associated with Trump, I assumed that Oliver Stone had jumped from JFK bullet-tracing to full on right wing conspirofascism before learning they are totally different people.

As for Pete, anybody catch when people noticed that he had yet another made up black supporter account who was a big fan of his media director Lis apparently and then she accidentally posted a message meant for her account while signed in on the fake nigerian guy account, since she wasn't content with trying to embarrass herself and the rest of us, she went for the big game: embarrassing her own sock puppet!

Hey, my state is switching to ranked voting for the primary this run.

https://www.thekansan.com/news/20200217/changes-coming-to-democratic-primary

Should be interesting.  Not like my state has a huge impact or anything, but I find this interesting.  I wonder if the establishment democrats are trying to pull a fast-one by switching to ranked voting for this cycle to avoid winner-take-all outcomes because they fear Bernie *THAT* much?

I guess I will found out in 4 more years.
Neat, didn't know you were in Kansas, grats on the Super Bowl! That Mahomes kid is a blast to watch, sometimes you can see him cover his eyes before saying "fuck it, Hill has gotta be near the end zone by now" and dropping them bombs.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34889 on: February 18, 2020, 09:03:41 pm »

Incidentally, for a long time when I saw mention of Stone being associated with Trump, I assumed that Oliver Stone had jumped from JFK bullet-tracing to full on right wing conspirofascism before learning they are totally different people.

Don't feel bad. Took me a while to discover that RuPal and Ron Paul are different people.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 2324 2325 [2326] 2327 2328 ... 3511