Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2392 2393 [2394] 2395 2396 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534673 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35895 on: March 27, 2020, 05:52:59 pm »

Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35896 on: March 27, 2020, 05:55:44 pm »

Someone told me he already ordered the ventilators to be produced, apparently it was just a suggestion

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35897 on: March 27, 2020, 06:01:08 pm »

"This" General Motors

what
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35898 on: March 27, 2020, 06:10:00 pm »

"This" General Motors

what
yeah, why is it in “quotes”?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35899 on: March 27, 2020, 06:11:34 pm »

As it turns out, car factories make things that are not breathing apparatuses. Specifically, cars. They may not be anything like the same size, shape, type of technology, materials, etc., but some people (Elon Musk, Trump) think factories can readily produce anything without downtime or inefficiency.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35900 on: March 27, 2020, 06:13:22 pm »

Also:

Trump: "General Motors MUST immediately open their stupidly abandoned Lordstown plant in Ohio, or some other plant, and START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!!!!!!  FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!!"

However it's been pointed out that GM sold that plant, and when that happened, Trump tweeted this about the sale:

Trump: "GREAT NEWS FOR OHIO! Just spoke to Mary Barra, CEO of General Motors, who informed me that, subject to a UAW agreement etc., GM will be selling their beautiful Lordstown Plant to Workhorse, where they plan to build Electric Trucks. GM will also be spending $700,000,000 in Ohio..."

The "top dollar" that Trump was complaining about in the other tweet was the fact that GM said it's going to cost $1 billion to retool the factories for the ventilators, and they were after assistance for that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35901 on: March 27, 2020, 06:14:38 pm »

"This" General Motors

what

Trump seems to not understand the use of the comma.

If I were to attempt self-lobotomy to translate that screed, it would come out like this:

Quote from: Translation from Trump illiteracy to something more intelligible.
As is all to common with situations like this one, where things are way outside the norm and drastic measures must be taken, General motors has decided that instead of delivering the promised 40,000 ventilators, they are only going to deliver 6000 of them. Additionally, they have pushed back the deadline for delivery to late April, and are demanding a large sum of money for the effort. I have found that all my interactions with GM CEO Mary B. Invoke have been unpleasant in this manner.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:18:13 pm by wierd »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35902 on: March 27, 2020, 06:21:16 pm »

You got the last bit wrong.

"Mary B." is short for Mary Barra.

"Invoke P" is short for "Invoke the defense production act"

It's not someone called Mary B Invoke.

This is a sign of Trump's cognitive decline I believe. To him "Invoke P" made perfect sense so he's automatically assumed everyone else will know what he's getting at, a failure in the ability to assess his message from another viewpoint.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:23:41 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35903 on: March 27, 2020, 06:23:04 pm »

It makes sense thst csr manufacturers would need money and time to refit their factories to make something so unlike cars

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35904 on: March 27, 2020, 06:28:24 pm »

@Reelya
Mia Culpa! You are correct.

--

The more prudent response would be to have the car manufacturers, which have engine parts manufacturing cells in place (and thus do metal machining), to keep existing tooling in place, and have them manufacture metal components, like spring valves and such, and/or, mass manufacture machined plastic injection molds (which are made of metal.)

Meanwhile, plastic injection companies should be sent the necessary injection molds, and told to manufacture plastic tubing, and the various plastic ventilator parts.

But that would be a sensible approach that would leverage multiple manufacturing complexes to rapidly produce the needed equipment. That kind of parallel thinking is outside the linear "PROBLEM SOLVED!" purview of somebody like Trump.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35905 on: March 27, 2020, 06:31:52 pm »

@Reelya
Mia Culpa! You are correct.

--

The more prudent response would be to have the car manufacturers, which have engine parts manufacturing cells in place (and thus do metal machining), to keep existing tooling in place, and have them manufacture metal components, like spring valves and such, and/or, mass manufacture machined plastic injection molds (which are made of metal.)

Meanwhile, plastic injection companies should be sent the necessary injection molds, and told to manufacture plastic tubing, and the various plastic ventilator parts.

But that would be a sensible approach that would leverage multiple manufacturing complexes to rapidly produce the needed equipment. That kind of parallel thinking is outside the linear "PROBLEM SOLVED!" purview of somebody like Trump.
i don’t know if this has been said already, but I think you’d make a great president, since you are able to think of solutions that incorporate multiple variables

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35906 on: March 27, 2020, 06:39:18 pm »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35907 on: March 27, 2020, 06:40:04 pm »

I am cognizant enough to know I am not presidential material.  While probably not as terrible a president as Trump, I would make a large number of faux-pas.  Maybe that puts me ahead of Dunning-Kruger, maybe not. I dont know.

I do know that I feel somebody with more experience working with foreign governments, and with more intimate knowledge of economic theory would be a better choice. The office of the presidency's primary duties are to orchestrate the executive branch of government, and to engage in political negotiations with other world leaders.

I am not the best negotiator, and thus would be a poor pick as president. I also have multiple deficits in my understanding of the incumbent policies and procedures of the many organizations of the Executive that I would inherit control over, and thus would be an ineffective leader.

-----

Re-- No healthcare for you because no insurance.

Congratulations-- This is why we need Medicare For All, and need to cut back our addiction to greedy middlemen. (more specifically, to their delicious lobbying money.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:44:34 pm by wierd »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35908 on: March 27, 2020, 07:38:21 pm »

Maybe you could be an advisor then, to a president who would actually listen. Aren’t there supposed to be people who help the various branches and give constructive criticism and suggestions on better ways to solve various problems?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35909 on: March 27, 2020, 07:57:09 pm »

I think we can all agree that I am the most Presidential poster in AmeriPol.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2392 2393 [2394] 2395 2396 ... 3511