Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2479 2480 [2481] 2482 2483 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532647 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37200 on: June 02, 2020, 10:53:18 am »

Well, there’s always golemancy.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37201 on: June 02, 2020, 10:57:12 am »

I wonder how may votes Bernie would get if he could somehow magically re-enter the race

I am once again asking for your support
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37202 on: June 02, 2020, 11:22:46 am »

Applying the Insurrection Act in this case is much more dubious, legally speaking, than it might seem. The protests are not in opposition to the Federal government, and the Department of Defense reports that there are 0 requests from state governments declaring them an insurrection against the state and asking the Feds to intervene. That's two of the three legal justifications blown out of the water. The third justification, that of resolving disorder that is preventing exercise of civil rights, would probably not stand up in court unless it was used against the police (who bear the primary responsibility for this getting out of hand, because they vastly overreacted to the well-justified protests), not for them.

Given that any orders to do anything would have to go through career officials who very much do not want to be the star guests at capital trials in a few years, any actual use of military force is highly unlikely, except possibly in an unarmed "physically separate them with sheer numbers" way.

Except that the exercise of civil rights is not the be all, end all of section 333.  In relevant part:

"The President, by using the militia or the armed forces, or both, or by any other means, shall take such measures as he considers necessary to suppress, in a State, any
. . . domestic violence . . . if it--
(1) so hinders the execution of the laws of that State, and of the United States within the State . . ."  10 USC 333.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37203 on: June 02, 2020, 11:28:46 am »

I immediately dream up imaginary scenarios of the military stepping in to ensure people's right to protest is protected from the police
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37204 on: June 02, 2020, 11:34:10 am »

The trick here, is to goad trump into a public response on twitter that authorizes a local militia under section 333, to support and protect the protestors. :P

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37205 on: June 02, 2020, 03:56:27 pm »

The 1807 law has been used by Bush in 1992, when California's governor requested the aid of the president to end the riots after the police brutality against Rodney King.

Ironically, the last time the law was used before that was by Eisenhower and Kennedy in the 1950s and 1960s, when they sent the military down south TO PROTECT THE CIVIL RIGHTS OF AFRO AMERICANS
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:04:43 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37206 on: June 02, 2020, 07:40:59 pm »

This is a real thing in the US, as announced by an actual police department. They're hiding their badge numbers, and telling people about it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37207 on: June 02, 2020, 08:00:12 pm »

We are living in the worst timeline at this point. You can get struck down for daring to film them, now you can't even name them by their badge number. That they're using dead officers as the excuse to do this in the middle of the worst rioting in the US in 20 years....is absolutely fucking disgusting. State legislatures need to start taking a very real look at how to bring their police departments under control, it's like we have several thousand standing armies out there accountable to no one.

Now I gotta dial back my outrage.....this was posted April 16th. Although in what world hiding any identifying markers for law enforcement is ok, I'm not sure of. How can you honestly respect their authority when they avoid accountability at all cost? The whole refusal to turn over body cam footage is also fucking bullshit, I don't know why any state legislature allows that decision to be left up to police to make.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:07:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37208 on: June 02, 2020, 08:02:59 pm »

Oh wow, as 'mourning bands'? Like it's police being victimized right now? The profession is safe as houses! Safer than roofing work, even, on the subject of houses.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37209 on: June 02, 2020, 09:09:36 pm »

Oh wow, as 'mourning bands'? Like it's police being victimized right now? The profession is safe as houses! Safer than roofing work, even, on the subject of houses.

Last I checked, the profession listed as 1 more dangerous (just barely more deaths/member) was preschool student.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37210 on: June 02, 2020, 09:49:11 pm »

"Posted April 16th"

Like, it's shitty, but it's not in response to the current events.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37211 on: June 02, 2020, 11:03:12 pm »

Troops deployed to DC with bayonets. Looks like that whole "our military will disobey unlawful orders" thing is being tested and definitely appears to be wishful thinking.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37212 on: June 02, 2020, 11:36:12 pm »

Troops deployed to DC with bayonets. Looks like that whole "our military will disobey unlawful orders" thing is being tested and definitely appears to be wishful thinking.

Yeah, I've never had any faith in that line.  Some might.  But they'll get court martial'd by the rest.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37213 on: June 02, 2020, 11:39:08 pm »

We, uh, still use bayonets?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37214 on: June 02, 2020, 11:44:23 pm »

<insert angry "I guess" guy here>