Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2480 2481 [2482] 2483 2484 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533299 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37215 on: June 02, 2020, 11:58:34 pm »

We do.

Close quarters combat is STILL a thing, and therefor, tactics and weapons intended for close quarters combat are still things.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37216 on: June 03, 2020, 12:00:40 am »

Apparently they were stowed in their packs as standard kit, but that's definitely an odd thing to end up getting mentioned.

At this rate I suspect things are going to escalate until we have a full-on response involving armed protesters. Bigger question is who'll escalate to large-scale use of lethal force first.

At this rate, my money's on the national guard ventilating a protest and then acting surprised when the next day's protest returns fire.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37217 on: June 03, 2020, 12:15:24 am »

Bigger question is who'll escalate to large-scale use of lethal force first.

We know this already. The "less lethal" equipment used by our police lose their less lethal status if you aim for body or head shots with 40mm rubber ordnance or gas canisters.

https://twitter.com/jusalotofpain/status/1267638427723296768

Not immediately lethal (I hope he's okay but this is all I've seen) in this case but that dude just got lucky. If you can call being the recipient of that particular double tap lucky.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:38:08 am by Mephisto »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37218 on: June 03, 2020, 01:46:44 am »

Oh hey Steve King lost his primary. He's that congressman known for the "when did white nationalism become a bad thing?" comment from last year or so.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37219 on: June 03, 2020, 02:40:42 am »

Not only that, the actual Rector of the church wrote on her own Facebook that Trump's guys tear-gassed them:

"We were literally DRIVEN OFF of the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with tear gas and concussion grenades and police in full riot gear," Ms Gerbasi wrote.

She said she couldn't believe it when she found out they had been driven away from the site so that Trump could get a photo.

"PEOPLE WERE HURT SO THAT HE COULD POSE IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH WITH A BIBLE!

"HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO STEP OVER THE MEDICAL SUPPLIES WE LEFT BEHIND BECAUSE WE WERE BEING TEAR GASSED!!!!"

Trump, the master of PR strikes again. Apparently the whole thing was because people said he was "hiding" so he had to stage a photo op outside to prove them wrong.
Some of you may have heard of Trump's Bible photo op. Cops removed priests from their own church for it.

https://religionnews.com/2020/06/02/ahead-of-trump-bible-photo-op-police-forcibly-expel-priest-from-st-johns-church-near-white-house/

I'm just repeatedly dumbfounded by it all

Couldn't he just have released a badly photoshopped image of himself standing in front of said church without going there? It is not like he values the truth anyhow, his base would have believed it, and it could be done without tear-gassing all those bystanders.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37220 on: June 03, 2020, 05:19:04 am »

The tear gassing is the fun part, though.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37221 on: June 03, 2020, 06:31:24 am »

Trump has backed off on his threat to employ the military. He claims that this is because the threat was motivation enough that it is not needed, without addressing public statements from military officials opposed to the idea.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #37222 on: June 03, 2020, 06:45:27 am »

He does that all the time. He’s too cowardly to commit to an idea, so he floats a suggestion and then backs off it as though it was never a serious consideration when it receives resistance, ignoring that resistance when he says it was never serious in the first place.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37223 on: June 03, 2020, 06:53:33 am »

What seems likeliest is that he was trying to look Strong and Tough, his advisors or the Pentagon told him to fuck off beyond some initial positioning for DC, and he is trying to spin it as a win.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37225 on: June 04, 2020, 12:51:49 pm »

A number of current generals have also published letters more or less subtly denouncing Trump and emphasizing that their troops are not to fire on American protestors. I admit I'm a little surprised by the reaction, but I guess Donnie boy isn't the best at installing loyal officers in the military. Pity he's definitely too hamfisted to see the threat to him in all of this...he's treading on what is historically rather dangerous ground.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37226 on: June 04, 2020, 01:12:00 pm »

I doubt a lot of military types look highly of a draft dodging coward.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37227 on: June 04, 2020, 01:16:17 pm »

One that has a habit of insulting veterans and their families, no less.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37228 on: June 04, 2020, 01:17:44 pm »

A number of current generals have also published letters more or less subtly denouncing Trump and emphasizing that their troops are not to fire on American protestors. I admit I'm a little surprised by the reaction, but I guess Donnie boy isn't the best at installing loyal officers in the military. Pity he's definitely too hamfisted to see the threat to him in all of this...he's treading on what is historically rather dangerous ground.

Yeah I've always found the military's resistance to Trump curious. They've taken all sorts of marching orders over the years from various kinds of presidents. Do they literally just have no respect for Trump? Do they (I'd like to believe) have a moral core of duty that they feel doing what Trump says violates? Is it just that their preferred power structures are threatened by Trump's arbitrary leadership and so they're silently not treating him like the Commander 'n Chief? Do they just have more backbone than the Under Secretary of Corner Case Department Who Wants To Be Rich?

Because the military feels like the only power structure in American government right now that hasn't be either stacked with Trump appointees, or corrupted by the general politics of his administration.

I doubt a lot of military types look highly of a draft dodging coward.

One that has a habit of insulting veterans and their families, no less.

That's a fair point for the average enlisted soldier, but let's not fool ourselves: top military brass are more political animals than soldiers. What would make the Pentagon resistant to Trump? Like I said, I'd like to think it's the fear that Trump could touch off a real global conflict for devastatingly stupid/self serving reasons. But that's never seemed to scare them in the past.

Like, the military is made up of regular citizens too. Among the enlisted and the officers, there's gotta be just as many blinkered idiots in their ranks as in the general population. So why hasn't that manifested in either a) greater support in the military for Trump or b) a shake up in leadership in the military so people more favorable to Trump are in control?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:20:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #37229 on: June 04, 2020, 01:21:39 pm »

It could be a big stew of reasons, all mixed and boiling together on a roaring hearth stoked with just the right circumstances and tension.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 2480 2481 [2482] 2483 2484 ... 3511