Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2535 2536 [2537] 2538 2539 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3575574 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38040 on: July 11, 2020, 04:35:29 pm »

Modern America is none of those things, and it is churlish and disgusting to even compare them to now.

Come on, don't you see the joke? America eats and eats until it despoils the whole Earth, and then in the dust the racist suburban Karens of America say "ok fine, I'll start recycling my cans, jeez don't be so serious!". That is what we are, not the people fighting the fucking Nazis.

This is a culture of elders who can neither govern nor surrender governance paired with a culture of youths who have been completely solidified not to care or fight back. That is the perspective from which the "grand conflict" of Biden vs. Trump actually makes some sense and is predictable. Yes, I do say that it is pathetic to stake hope on one of those parties.

People who believe in grand global conspiracies and problem politicians are optimists. You can destroy a grand global conspiracy, expose its crimes or what have you. You could impeach Trump, well maybe not that given what actually happened, but the principle applies. But when the real problem is in the thoughts of the silent majority? Now there's an understanding that is pessimistic enough to potentially overcome optimism bias.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38041 on: July 11, 2020, 08:21:34 pm »

Springboarding from that, as I've said many times before, at least a figure like Trump does something to break the deafening silence and lethargy.

I don't believe the narrative that Democrats in power, even if they're terrible, would at least provide a better position from which to fight for something more.

I'm 37.  I've seen multiple administrations come and go.  The thing that stands out strongest to me is that conservatives are always at war.  They're always energized.  Always feel like the underdog fighting like hell in a panicked frenzy for their god's will and the soul of the country.  Even when their agenda is dominating politics.

He wouldn't set everything right, but having him as a president would sure as hell be a better starting point when fighting for a better world than sulking righteously in your room and having another Trump term.

But on the other side, this has been tested over and over and over again.  It's never true.  90% of the population who isn't hardcore conservative checks out of politics almost completely if the aesthetics of the dominant party are soothing enough to their sensibilities.  When the frontman of government isn't obviously despicable or stupid, they take whatever's said at face value, and hand-wave anyone who does bother to fact-check as a conspiracy theorist.

Based on my experiences with people through the Obama-era, I 100% expect that if a perfect universal healthcare bill landed on Biden's desk and he vetoed it, that people would just believe by default that somehow Republicans were responsible.  And if I provided them links with video footage of him doing the paperwork to veto at his desk, with a dozen health insurance execs watching over his shoulder while stuffing money in his pockets, they simply wouldn't look.

Can you give me any reason to believe this time would be different?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 08:28:54 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #38042 on: July 12, 2020, 02:01:19 am »

No it's the opposite -- it's "if you don't stop buying lottery tickets you'll never save any money"
The difference being that here, stopping buying the lottery tickets doesn't stop us from spending the money on them, it just prevents us from reaping the collective rewards.

The whole edgy "everything's awful and nothing will ever get done" is cool and all, but it's predicated on 100% bullshit. Nothing's awful and everything will get done eventually - that's how literally the rest of human history worked, it's how it's going to work out here. You can choose to be part of building that future and possibly have a say in it, or sit and mope about the futility of it all and be forgotten in the gutter.

I'm growing rather irritated with the doom and gloom in this thread. It's entirely unwarranted. I'm not that depressed and my fucking Grandfather just died. No candidate is perfect - fucking Lincoln didn't even want to free the Slaves, it just wound up being politically expedient. Stop focusing on the negatives and discarding all the positives as inconsequential and maybe the world won't seem like such a depressing place, eh?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38043 on: July 12, 2020, 05:26:00 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:30:01 pm by dragdeler »
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38044 on: July 12, 2020, 05:48:07 am »

There's an essay by Orwell titled England Your England that I think you may find interesting.

Here's an amusing excerpt, apropos of nothing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(this was written in 1941)
It's amusing how little has changed in the realm of global finance; reach a certain level of money, and you entrench yourself as a comfortable leisure class, who makes money because they have money

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38045 on: July 12, 2020, 09:31:09 am »

No it's the opposite -- it's "if you don't stop buying lottery tickets you'll never save any money"
The difference being that here, stopping buying the lottery tickets doesn't stop us from spending the money on them, it just prevents us from reaping the collective rewards.

The whole edgy "everything's awful and nothing will ever get done" is cool and all, but it's predicated on 100% bullshit. Nothing's awful and everything will get done eventually - that's how literally the rest of human history worked, it's how it's going to work out here. You can choose to be part of building that future and possibly have a say in it, or sit and mope about the futility of it all and be forgotten in the gutter.

I'm growing rather irritated with the doom and gloom in this thread. It's entirely unwarranted. I'm not that depressed and my fucking Grandfather just died. No candidate is perfect - fucking Lincoln didn't even want to free the Slaves, it just wound up being politically expedient. Stop focusing on the negatives and discarding all the positives as inconsequential and maybe the world won't seem like such a depressing place, eh?

People are less likely to get angry and try to take away what you've gained if you're forgotten in the gutter. The gutter isn't that bad of a place.

Here's the other part of the lottery metaphor, people who end up winning the lottery are quite likely to end up worse off in the end. Being very publicly successful like that generally brings a lot of undesirable attention. People often don't know how to handle that success. End up wasting it. End up right back where they started. Often it brings out the worst in the people around them, people they thought they could trust. Often that means it gets taken from them, occasionally it means they don't survive the whole experience.

My point isn't "everything is awful and nothing will ever get done" though. My point is things suck and nothing is going to change quickly. And while you wait for the coming change, you're going to have to deal with a lot of shitty choices. Sometimes there will be no good choice. But a choice still has to be made, and the consequences have to be dealt with. So you deal with them, move on, and hope the next choice is less shitty.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38046 on: July 14, 2020, 08:43:28 am »

Does anyone have a good view on where the idea that we shouldn't oppose or try to stop people from doing terrible things, only compromise with them started? It's been getting a real foothold, and is especially damaging in this last decade.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38047 on: July 14, 2020, 08:59:41 am »

I guess isolationist policies in the last 20 years. Interested to see a more educated answer, though.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38048 on: July 14, 2020, 09:07:47 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:30:05 pm by dragdeler »
let

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38049 on: July 14, 2020, 09:17:08 am »

Does anyone have a good view on where the idea that we shouldn't oppose or try to stop people from doing terrible things, only compromise with them started? It's been getting a real foothold, and is especially damaging in this last decade.

In short with the idea of constitutions and civil rights.  :-\
In a barbaric society everyone can do, oppose, and stop what ever they currently have the power to do, oppose, and stop.
But (starting with the Greeks?) we now have a basic social agreement, that within certain borders we don’t stop the activities of each other, and those borders are put down with the core laws of the land.
So there may be people thinking that eating meat is a terrible thing, but as long as it’s not against the LAW, then they shouldn’t stop other people’s pursuit of happiness in eating a steak.

So yes, while I support many grassroots push for change, then "having many people agreeing with me" doesn’t give anybody the right to stop others.
Unless an outright (by definition illegal) revolution is called to change the LAW, then we all have to compromise and just influence each other.
In theory democracy should make it easier to change the LAW to match the current will of the people, but as this thread suggests, then it feels like an uphill battle.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38050 on: July 14, 2020, 09:22:26 am »

You live in this thing called a democracy where two groups of differing politic opinion are constantly exchanging authority and governance. If you want your politics to last longer than the next power shift then you have to either reach a compromise that both parties can agree to or start working to subvert the other party's chances of amassing election points.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38051 on: July 14, 2020, 09:31:34 am »

You live in this thing called a democracy where two groups of differing politic opinion are constantly exchanging authority and governance. If you want your politics to last longer than the next power shift then you have to either reach a compromise that both parties can agree to or start working to subvert the other party's chances of amassing election points.

Yes, but it is possible to have compromise without entirely giving up on having opinions. "You want to kill 1 million people? How about half a million? No? Let's call it 750k." And then people applaud the bravery of standing for nothing.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38052 on: July 14, 2020, 10:01:45 am »

Maybe only a little bit of concentration camps is fine :P

A lot of things can be blamed, from citizens united to people valuing ideology over evidence. It's not likely caused by any singular thing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38053 on: July 14, 2020, 10:56:16 am »

Well if you don't want to compromise then you gotta start working to subvert the opponent. I'd recommend convincing them that your side is right, but there are other ways too.
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38054 on: July 14, 2020, 01:15:51 pm »

Compromise is finding a position in the overlap between what you and the other party find acceptable. But that's dependent on such an overlap being present. If there isn't, that less of a case of being unwilling to compromise, and more like compromise being impossible.
Pages: 1 ... 2535 2536 [2537] 2538 2539 ... 3515