Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2573 2574 [2575] 2576 2577 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3608548 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38610 on: August 12, 2020, 06:06:24 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:05 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38611 on: August 12, 2020, 10:10:45 am »

Eh, I don't think this is quite as bad as folks are saying. I suspect Harris might help with the suburban white vote, which could actually help in some of the more important Senate downballot races. Whether that'll offset the loss of voter enthusiasm among the base remains to be seen, of course.

As far as a presidency goes, it'd probably be akin to the Obama era, for good and/or ill. Slow progress on certain issues, lack of progress on others, probably continue to get worse on others. This is in contrast to the 'Trump unleashed' scenario of him getting reelected; there are also other problems with a continued Trump presidency, such as effects on litigation.

The most interesting potential is if (if) they end up with a Democratic trifecta. While I doubt they'd change the filibuster in that situation, they probably will pass a reconciliation bill. That could be a pretty big deal in a continued COVID world - could be a reconciliation version of the big stimulus bill from 2009.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38612 on: August 12, 2020, 10:54:25 am »

Meanwhile, anyone think Kanye West will be found guilty of election fraud?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38613 on: August 12, 2020, 11:08:10 am »

Impossible, I heard 'em say he's forever amazing. You're paranoid, facts can't tell me nothing, only one heartless power clique (vs. the people, through the wire) says no more parties in LA and all falls down.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38614 on: August 12, 2020, 11:11:47 am »

For those who haven't already seen, several enterprising reporters have found that Republican agents are at least partially responsible for the Kanye campaign and efforts to get on ballots. He's being used as an attempted spoiler.

(I think this fact makes your query all the more likely.)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38615 on: August 12, 2020, 12:46:16 pm »

More than just "Republicans", didn't Trump's chief of staff basically sign the papers for him?

Then there's the suspiciously large PPE loan he got as well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38616 on: August 12, 2020, 01:06:58 pm »

Kanye's too rich to suffer consequences.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #38617 on: August 12, 2020, 01:08:12 pm »

No one man should have all that power
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38618 on: August 12, 2020, 03:18:00 pm »

More than just "Republicans", didn't Trump's chief of staff basically sign the papers for him?

Then there's the suspiciously large PPE loan he got as well.

But... spoiler for who? As of late Kanye has been closer to Trump than anyone on the democratic side.

That's not to say I think Trump would be above thinking "He's famous and black, so black people will vote for him over Ol' Joe." and honestly, that's probably the most likely explanation for such a poorly thought out and blatant attempt.

Still... the actual effect of a Kanye run would likely do more damage to Trump.

On the other hand, an alternate explanation is that Trump is tired of being president. (You can hear it in his voice, at the latest press briefings. He's barely there.) He can't deal with losing, to the democrats, of all people, but if he willingly passes the job off to his old friend Kanye... well that's a different story. But it's still a terrible attempt either way.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38619 on: August 12, 2020, 03:29:45 pm »

No way, man, Trump voters are all too racist to vote for Kanye. I don't see how it's possible for that to happen at all.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38620 on: August 12, 2020, 04:21:27 pm »

No way, man, Trump voters are all too racist to vote for Kanye. I don't see how it's possible for that to happen at all.
They got that R tribalism thing going on full throttle.  But, whatever direction will likely be heralded by our conservative 'entertainment venues'.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38621 on: August 12, 2020, 05:44:30 pm »

That's not to say I think Trump would be above thinking "He's famous and black, so black people will vote for him over Ol' Joe." and honestly, that's probably the most likely explanation for such a poorly thought out and blatant attempt.

Kanye keeps getting criticism for taking away Democrat votes and the argument is exactly this.

Kanye's too late to the game - he'll dip back out in like a month.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38622 on: August 12, 2020, 11:37:34 pm »

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/us-election-donald-trumps-suburban-housewife-tweet-slammed/news-story/73dfc5f731af8df0e836f70003cf8f12

Donald Trump has been slammed over his criticism of Democrat rivals Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, after saying “suburban housewives” wanted “safety” and would cast their vote for him.

It's a bit more unbelievable than that actually.

The “suburban housewife” will be voting for me. They want safety & are thrilled that I ended the long running program where low income housing would invade their neighborhood. Biden would reinstall it, in a bigger form, with Corey Booker in charge!

So he's really going with the line that he's the guy who keeps the poor people out?

What I find unbelievable is not the fact that he thinks that or did that, but that he thinks that highlighting that he ended affordable housing in order to keep the commoners out is a winning election point. Sociopaths are supposed to be good at pretending to be somewhat human, normally.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:49:58 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38623 on: August 13, 2020, 12:13:49 am »

So he's really going with the line that he's the guy who keeps the poor people out?

What I find unbelievable is not the fact that he thinks that or did that, but that he thinks that highlighting that he ended affordable housing in order to keep the commoners out is a winning election point. Sociopaths are supposed to be good at pretending to be somewhat human, normally.
It's surprising to me that you think this wouldn't work. Have you seen how much money is spent, especially in California, to keep out low-income housing?

Actually, maybe that's the point — maybe someone told him that "he would've won the popular vote in 2016 if we had excluded California" line, and he decided to appeal directly to Californians to ensure he wins this time.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38624 on: August 13, 2020, 12:15:14 am »

You arent thinking like a conservative.

Consider the impact of redistricting, combined with minority disenfranchisement. 
Pages: 1 ... 2573 2574 [2575] 2576 2577 ... 3515