Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2574 2575 [2576] 2577 2578 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3608554 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38625 on: August 13, 2020, 12:59:05 am »

It's surprising to me that you think this wouldn't work. Have you seen how much money is spent, especially in California, to keep out low-income housing?

Actually, maybe that's the point — maybe someone told him that "he would've won the popular vote in 2016 if we had excluded California" line, and he decided to appeal directly to Californians to ensure he wins this time.

What I mean isn't that he thinks the proposal will work, but he thinks that wording will work.

People want to feel good about themselves even when supporting shitty things. The way Trump laid it on the line doesn't give anyone that plausible denial. That's why I said I'm surprised by the line, specifically. The way he's speaking is akin to the other side being vegans, and them pushing more humane animal treatment, and you countering that with "my supporters clearly revel in the anguished torment of animals so I blocked that law", rather than couching it in any number of different ways which allow meat eating people to feel less bad about it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:04:48 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38626 on: August 13, 2020, 01:10:15 am »

Non-vegans generally don't actually revel in the suffering of animals, though. They just don't value their suffering more than they value having meat.

Republicans are proud to oppose low-income housing, even outside of it being a dogwhistle for black people in your neighborhood. They think of that as an actively good thing to oppose - low-income people can just live "somewhere else", not really their problem if that place even exists. Like, it's not a controversial thing for a Republican or even most independents. Most of the American right lives in a continuous vision of the demolition of Pruitt-Igoe if you ask them a question about housing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38627 on: August 13, 2020, 02:49:38 am »

Because a sense of urgency or proportion is just too much to ask for, (But perfect hair is ESSENTIAL!), Trump mandates changes to regulatory rules for shower (and other water using) fixtures.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/12/us-shower-pressure-trump-hair-water

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38628 on: August 13, 2020, 02:59:56 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:09 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38629 on: August 13, 2020, 03:17:36 am »

You just need a good After Shower lotion!

Burma Shave!

(I WOULD have plugged Shower to Shower, but they pulled talc off the market!)

In other news:

Organized crime rings orchestrate widespread looting and vandalism, exploiting the race-tension situation in Chicago. 
https://time.com/5878688/chicago-mayor-lori-lightfoot-looting/

Anti-Vaxxers still a thing, even while people are dying by the thousands daily.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/health/anti-vaxxers-covid-19/index.html

Twitter plans to actually do something about the mail in voter misinformation drivel spewed by trump
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/12/twitter-fights-mail-in-voting-misinformation-394459

In what is yet another resounding demonstration of promoting message rather than science, Trump promotes yet another yes-man to his cabinet.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/politics/scott-atlas-donald-trump-coronavirus

And last but not least:

Court weighs decision to drop charges against Flynn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbvOfJ-7kP0

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:01:00 am by wierd »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38630 on: August 13, 2020, 05:40:13 am »

Uh, this is a real article but you'd swear it's an Onion piece.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/conservation/trump-administration-eases-shower-head-rules/news-story/3f1f8f4dd9f1ed889206917b77556db7

Donald Trump’s administration is loosening regulations restricting the amount of water that can flow from shower heads, after the US President complained about needing his hair to be “perfect”.

The proposal by Department of Energy addresses a pet peeve of Mr Trump’s that he isn’t getting wet enough in the shower – echoing a classic Seinfeld episode about Kramer’s gripes with the apartment building’s “low-flow” shower heads.

According to the Associated Press, the proposal announced Wednesday would loosen a 1992 federal law dictating that new shower heads can’t pour more than 2.5 gallons (9.5 litres) of water per minute.

The Obama administration tweaked the rule to make it 2.5 gallons in total, as newer fixtures often had multiple nozzles.

The Trump administration wants to change the rule to allow each nozzle to spray up to 2.5 gallons.

Mr Trump, who has made winding back what he views as overly restrictive energy conservation standards a personal mission, addressed the issue in July.

“So showerheads – you take a shower, the water doesn’t come out,” he told reporters at the White House.

“You want to wash your hands, the water doesn’t come out. So what do you do? You just stand there longer or you take a shower longer? Because my hair – I don’t know about you, but it has to be perfect. Perfect.”

Good to see Trump staying focused on the things that are vitally important to the nation in these troubled times.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:45:02 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38631 on: August 13, 2020, 06:23:02 am »

I just can't help thinking that if he wants to get his head wetter, he could just remove that waxed roadkill hamster he likes wearing on it...

(It's not even Pressure. Whether you work in N/m² or psi. increasing volume/time (and across a larger effective cross-section) is loosely connected, at the uttermost best interpretion, dimensionally inverted at worst. By the standards required for so-called 'pressure' al showerheads should have as few and as fine a jet as possible. Ultimately, something like this as the logical conclusion. With (3) being the shampoo/soap injecter, obviously, and (7) being the scalp.)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #38632 on: August 13, 2020, 08:11:55 am »

Ultimately, something like this as the logical conclusion. With (3) being the shampoo/soap injecter, obviously, and (7) being the scalp.)

Yet another inventive method of brainwashing.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38633 on: August 13, 2020, 08:34:02 am »

Seinfeld is never not topical
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38634 on: August 13, 2020, 08:53:36 am »

I mean, allegedly trump also flushes like 20 times.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38635 on: August 13, 2020, 09:49:16 am »

I bet he double dips and pisses in the shower too
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38636 on: August 13, 2020, 09:52:59 am »

I mean, it's fairly common with men his age in particular. Warm water can help with passing when you have prostate issues or whatev'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38637 on: August 13, 2020, 01:15:24 pm »

Yes, our current administration is an embarrassment.  The next one is likely to be too - even if we have a change in administration.  It's not even because of the particular figureheads any more either - it's the process, general public conversation, the whole thing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38638 on: August 13, 2020, 01:39:22 pm »

It's almost like "civics" should have been getting taught in schools or something!  Surely, several decades of reduced civics education could not possibly be coming home to roost! That's unpossible!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38639 on: August 13, 2020, 02:50:07 pm »

Wait what? They don't teach civics any more?  I didn't realize social studies, government, etc. were all victims of NCLB... ugh.
Pages: 1 ... 2574 2575 [2576] 2577 2578 ... 3515