Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2643 2644 [2645] 2646 2647 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3593507 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39660 on: September 25, 2020, 03:29:06 pm »

Not yet.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39661 on: September 25, 2020, 03:29:44 pm »

The Supreme Court is actually an elaborate hoax.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39662 on: September 25, 2020, 03:44:16 pm »

A supreme court is just a normal court with added tomatoes and sour cream.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #39663 on: September 25, 2020, 03:52:45 pm »

As a non-American, I'm all on-board. Who gets to answer for the dead though?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39664 on: September 25, 2020, 04:55:34 pm »

So, in short anything which goes up to the supreme court would get stasised into an eternal limbo state because everyone can't meet? Or would it essentially be a referendum? That sounds pretty sensible, actually. If the courts can't decide something, it gets tossed to the public to decide?

To give an actually serious answer to this (as the failure to reach a decision does emerge in other scenarios as well), then you'd be left with the lower court ruling remaining intact. It would effectively nullify the Supreme Court as an entity, which would mean that there would be no more legal opinions binding the entire United States. (Sort of; court decisions relating to national agency actions would still have national ramifications.) Whether this is a good or bad outcome depends on one's philosophy, or just one's opinion regarding the trend of lower court opinions on a particular topic across jurisdictions.

One odd part of this is that it wouldn't be boiling down to different states, but a mix of federal appellate court jurisdictions - each of which are multi-state, and don't always make sense. E.g. Idaho would be stuck in the notably-liberal 9th circuit.

Edit: Wrote too quickly and forgot a few other implications. First, legal conflicts between states would no longer have an arbiter. So water rights disputes (often what leads to this) or border disputes wouldn't have formal resolution. Second, if I'm remembering right the federal court system would no longer have a way to override state supreme court decisions regarding federal matters - this is most relevant for situations where the federal constitution would override the outcome. For example, if [X state]'s supreme court holds that a racist law is fine, then normally the federal S. Ct. would step in and say 'nope, the federal constitution doesn't allow that'.

FURTHER EDIT: See a few posts down.

(I'm probably forgetting a few other situations.)

The other question that would get raised: if everyone was a justice of the supreme court, who would argue the case?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:07:38 pm by Dostoevsky »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39665 on: September 25, 2020, 06:28:26 pm »

I'm sure somebody would recuse themselves, for the right price.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39666 on: September 25, 2020, 06:34:33 pm »

The dead, through Ouija boards.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39667 on: September 25, 2020, 08:40:30 pm »

"Let the records show that the late esteemed Thomas Jefferson proclaimed "PHSJHVNDNCKSDUNQPEFJBK", which as far as we know is a rousing and impassioned Founding Father opinion in favor of the soft drink subsidy bill."
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #39668 on: September 25, 2020, 08:42:55 pm »

The obvious solution is to have Toady implement everything in the Terrible Suggestions Thread, causing DF to leech into reality. Then we could have necromancers turn all the dead into intelligent undead who are thus able to provide an opinion.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39669 on: September 25, 2020, 09:10:15 pm »

For what it's worth, just realized my answer was wrong. Cases would be stuck 'in appeal' for forever, basically, which for criminal cases I don't think would change from what I wrote above, but for civil cases would (I think) mean nothing be enforced at all except in situations where preliminary injunctions were granted. Which would then make district courts (fragmented across portions of each state) the first and last court of power, with basically no meaningful ability to appeal at all.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39670 on: September 25, 2020, 09:13:08 pm »

For what it's worth, just realized my answer was wrong. Cases would be stuck 'in appeal' for forever, basically, which for criminal cases I don't think would change from what I wrote above, but for civil cases would (I think) mean nothing be enforced at all except in situations where preliminary injunctions were granted. Which would then make district courts (fragmented across portions of each state) the first and last court of power, with basically no meaningful ability to appeal at all.
Better idea, abolish all the courts. Nobody really needs to sue anybody anyway.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39671 on: September 25, 2020, 09:22:59 pm »

While unpopular in law schools these days, there's a theory of legal analysis that looks as much as the human processes of law as the stuff written on the page. Part of that is looking at community systems of reputation, action, etc. that are not technically legal but can still work just as well (or even better) than the formal legal structure in the area. Can work very well for local day-to-day disputes, but doesn't scale up that well.

Obviously this would not work very well at protecting against widespread prejudice against minority groups, however.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39672 on: September 25, 2020, 09:37:17 pm »

We should abolish those too.

You might be wondering whether I meant "informal community justice systems" or "minority groups" or maybe "law schools". The answer is "yes".

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39673 on: September 25, 2020, 10:55:49 pm »

Abolishing minority groups (I'm assuming the concept, not, er, abolishing the literal people) would certainly be a nice thing in theory.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39674 on: September 26, 2020, 12:33:21 am »

So, I've got a political science question.

The electoral college is fucked. Bush and Trump won without popular votes which I think everyone can agree is shitty, even if they delude themselves into thinking "they didn't really lose the popular vote."

The sort of high school response is to think, "Well just get rid of the electoral college and do a direct vote." Which has problems of its own. The electoral college is supposed to be a Republican organization (not the political party, but the politic) offering representation of otherwise minority groups who would be trampled in a pure democracy.

But that doesn't hold up for the presidential election, right? Why should a Kansas vote be worth more than a California vote, on the individual level?

Am I getting that right? Also, are there any solutions being proposed that don't include just throwing out the whole system and starting from scratch?
Pages: 1 ... 2643 2644 [2645] 2646 2647 ... 3515