Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2814 2815 [2816] 2817 2818 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532932 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42225 on: November 22, 2020, 06:51:59 pm »

Given that (one of) Trump's current tactics is to try and delay counts until they somehow force either the enough state legislature (and eventually the federal House of Representatives) to decide the result instead, it's sort of in that style.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42226 on: November 22, 2020, 07:33:42 pm »

If successful this would be the biggest tinderbox in US politics since 1860.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42227 on: November 22, 2020, 07:44:05 pm »

I didn't say it was a good plan.

Edit: While I'm here, a Post story from yesterday to share on what Trump may be thinking (as of yesterday, at least):

President Trump would have the world falsely believe that he won the election and is preparing for a second term.

In private huddles and phone conversations, however, Trump has been discussing an entirely different next act: another presidential run in 2024.

In a nod to the reality that he is destined to leave office in January, the president is seriously contemplating life beyond the White House, telling advisers that he wants to remain an omnipresent force in politics and the media — perhaps by running for the White House again.

Trump has told confidants he could announce a 2024 campaign before the end of this year, which would immediately set up a potential rematch with President-elect Joe Biden.

Trump also has been exploring ways to make money for relatively little work, such as giving paid speeches to corporate groups or selling tickets to rallies. In addition, he may try to write a score-settling memoir of his time as president and appear on television, in a paid or unpaid capacity.

. . . .

Whatever platform he decides to use, Trump plans to seek vengeance against those he believes have betrayed him — a group that includes Fox News Channel, which Trump had long praised for the sycophantic coverage on some of its programs but now seeks to punish.

. . . .

One adviser who recently spoke with the president said that Trump told him he planned to announce a new campaign in three weeks, and that he wanted to act quickly to try to freeze the large field of prospective 2024 Republican presidential candidates.

But other advisers cautioned that, as is often the case with the ping-ponging president, Trump’s views on the matter are constantly evolving and he has made no final determination.

(Huh, seeing it formatted this way really drives home the stylistic choices in writing for a column.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:51:19 pm by Dostoevsky »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42228 on: November 22, 2020, 07:52:43 pm »

So remember that chick working for Trump who's been getting laughed out of court and doing some rambling bullshit about a kraken being released?

Yeah, apparently her kraken just got released, didn't even last a Scaramucci despite standing next to Giuliani as he springs a leak and smears boogers on his face, Sidney Powell was enough of a fuck up to get fired.

That's kind of amazing.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42229 on: November 22, 2020, 07:56:29 pm »

1860... The year the Second Opium War was ended, cocaine was first purified and someone sang 'Clair de la lune' into a sound recording device. Which I'm not entirely sure aren't linked in some other way...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #42230 on: November 22, 2020, 07:58:11 pm »

No, see, she was never part of the legal team in the first place to be fired.

Which is a fucking bizarre thing to say when you have her speak at a press conference on behalf of your legal team.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42231 on: November 22, 2020, 08:40:34 pm »

So remember that chick working for Trump who's been getting laughed out of court and doing some rambling bullshit about a kraken being released?

Yeah, apparently her kraken just got released, didn't even last a Scaramucci despite standing next to Giuliani as he springs a leak and smears boogers on his face, Sidney Powell was enough of a fuck up to get fired.

That's kind of amazing.

Accusing and threatening Republican governor Brian Kemp was probably the straw that broke the camel's back with her.

Mike DuHaime, the Republican National Committee’s former political director, tweeted on Sunday that the party must pull down its tweet endorsing Powell’s remarks now that she’s been removed from representing Trump or the campaign.

So, in other words they shouldn't stop endorsing the remarks because the were wrong, but because she's been sacked they must now disavow the remarks they said were good before.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42232 on: November 22, 2020, 09:47:28 pm »

BTW Trump was at the virtual G20 summit, he was tweeting during the summit, then during the bit where leaders were meant to discuss Covid, he buggered off to play golf at one of his clubs. i guess it's important to use every opportunity to rack up as many bills for his golf club as possible, and he doesn't have much time left, so he skipped out on the less important part of the meeting.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/21/donald-trump-g20-pandemic-golf-club
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:33:10 pm by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #42233 on: November 23, 2020, 10:10:03 am »

It's all golf, voodoo kabuki legal maneuvers, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth on Twitter until January 20th
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42234 on: November 23, 2020, 11:08:10 pm »

Oh good, Trump and them finally told the GSA to go forward.

Accordingly https://buildbackbetter.gov is up now, we have one president-elect Biden, and a president-reject Trump.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42235 on: November 23, 2020, 11:26:22 pm »

But also, specifically still not conceding defeat.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42236 on: November 24, 2020, 01:14:57 am »

I nearly suggested that there was something going to happen, when I noticed something like 17 hours elapsed since the prior tweet. That sort of gap is very rare (i.e. not even his authorised proxies writing/retweeting 'his' official announcements or refutations).

But I didn't expect it to be a begrudging 'transition' while still not being graceful in defeat. I can only imagine the intense behind-the-scenes discussions (or 'discussions') that have been happening to prepare for this strange middle-ground.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42237 on: November 24, 2020, 01:17:23 am »

But I didn't expect it to be a begrudging 'transition' while still not being graceful in defeat. I can only imagine the intense behind-the-scenes discussions (or 'discussions') that have been happening to prepare for this strange middle-ground.

When is somebody going to make subtitles for that Downfall scene for this stuff?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42238 on: November 24, 2020, 02:14:05 am »

I saw James Urbaniak suggest reading that tweet in Alan Rickman's voice and it works amazingly well.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42239 on: November 24, 2020, 11:27:53 am »

When is somebody going to make subtitles for that Downfall scene for this stuff?

To be honest i get crestfallen whenever I see someone's used that scene, it was probably fun the first time but it's become increasingly more of a lazy and boring way to meme something up. That kind of thing only plays to the faithful and is it really that interesting to watch the same scene over and over with subtitles explaining obscure points of law and government?

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/drama-inside-us-presidential-transition-as-joe-biden-loyalists-complain-theyre-being-overlooked/news-story/c5211a1ae3633f07a80f3ea2b5c8e6ba

Some people upset in the Biden camp about appointments:

None of these choices are, in themselves, remotely controversial. But taken together, there is a distinct trend – most of Mr Biden’s picks also served under Mr Obama.

According to Politico, that has rubbed some of the president-elect’s staff the wrong way. Reporter Ryan Lizza describes the mood as “concern bordering on panic”.

The Obama staffers are now cutting out the people who got Biden elected,” the senior Biden official we mentioned earlier told Lizza.

“None of these people found the courage to help the vice president when he was running, and now they are elevating their friends over the Biden people. It’s f***ed up.”

Another Biden adviser said that was a “valid criticism”, and many of Mr Biden’s long-term staff were now “living in uncertainty”, unsure whether there will be a role for them.

“There’s real doubt about whether they will be taken care of,” the adviser said.

There's definitely a tension there, however we shouldn't want Biden loyalists "taken care of" with senior appointments, people shouldn't get the red carpet rolled out and just be appointed Secretary of State for being "loyal". The thing is: if they're hiring people who didn't jump on the Biden bandwagon, I feel better about that actually. Sticking people who were campaign zealots or big campaign donors into roles was what Trump did. But I can see how Biden campaign faithful could feel betrayed by that at the same time.

The thing is, this is the exact opposite of "jobs for friends" which is why the people who have ingratiated themselves in the "friends" category are upset. What Biden's team is doing is bringing back lower and mid-level Obama era people and putting them as the heads of things: these people weren't Biden's best friends, they were junior people in the Obama administration, i.e. "deputy XYZ" but they proved their mettle and now they're "head of XYZ". This is just common sense: putting someone as the director of an organization but they've never seen how that organization is meant to work from the inside - but also after that organization has been completely gutted by Trump - that would be fucking chaos. If you want to fix a gutted department, you need to put someone in charge who knows what it used to look like before the gutting, not some partisan hack loyalist.

The point is that they are announcing the major postings first, those are going to people with a track record, and these are promotions from their Obama days, they're not just sticking the same people back in the same roles, that's not what's happening. The Biden loyalists can basically stand in the queue, get junior postings, then work your way up to "deputy XYZ" and if you're really rockin' it, you can be "head of XYZ" in ... a while.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:52:41 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2814 2815 [2816] 2817 2818 ... 3511