Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2986 2987 [2988] 2989 2990 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590013 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44805 on: April 14, 2021, 10:01:34 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:27:11 pm by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44806 on: April 14, 2021, 10:16:15 am »

Everywhere in this world where humans live, there are "crimes of opportunity" waiting to be taken. If you were given an example where one person decides to steal some food from another person...
- Does it matter which person is "poorer"?
- Is the theft justified because it was "easy"?

Yes, and No.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44807 on: April 14, 2021, 12:21:48 pm »

@dragdeler,
Okay, that sounds like a choice to avoid the questions, but Vector answered them so I'll pick that up.

@Vector,
When you say "Yes" to "Does it matter which person is "poorer"?", if there was an opportunity for the person to ask for food instead of stealing it, would your answer change? (go wild with the "yes/no/if"conditions if you want, or keep it simple).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44808 on: April 14, 2021, 12:28:33 pm »

There are numerous cultures in which taking food is considered the right of the poor, or where it is expected that every person leave aside food for those who don't have any.

Example: In France, eating and consuming anything within a grocery store without paying, and then leaving, is legal.

(Note also that Germany considers it natural for criminals to want to flee capture, and so does not charge them additionally for trying to escape).

Isn't it bad enough being poor? You have to make it criminal for people to assert themselves and better their situation, too -- so that in poverty, a person also loses all power and dignity? Call it the Jean Valjean law, but no, I don't think anyone should be going to prison for stealing food.

In case any one thinks I'm internet toughguying, last week a guy tried to take my phone out of my hand on the bus, and no, I didn't call the police. I kept my phone and he left.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44809 on: April 14, 2021, 12:42:01 pm »

-

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:27:00 pm by dragdeler »
let

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44810 on: April 14, 2021, 12:47:57 pm »

Hey, anewaname, I get the feeling you may want to take a minute to disengage from the argument and restate where you stand on things, because you're sending aggressively mixed signals and it's difficult to discern tone through text. Don't want to misconstrue your words.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44811 on: April 14, 2021, 04:04:59 pm »

@Doomblade187
Well... I attempted to keep tone out of it. Tone is what Trump uses to speak lies to an receptive crowd. Tone is what some liberal and conservative pundits use to cover up name-calling and mocking. Tone and the physical/emotional response to that tone, is what agitators use to start mob actions. Which replies did I make that were not clear about where I stood?

My attempt to put the "Does it matter which person is "poorer"" and "Is the theft justified because it was "easy"" questions out there, and providing my answers first, was an intent to determine if we (me and dragdeler) were even talking about the same thing, because to me, the choice to steal stuff is always preceded by the choice to ask for stuff, and the choice to steal without asking is always something that will cause more overall harm than overall good.

@Vector
There are numerous cultures in which taking food is considered the right of the poor, or where it is expected that every person leave aside food for those who don't have any.

Example: In France, eating and consuming anything within a grocery store without paying, and then leaving, is legal.

(Note also that Germany considers it natural for criminals to want to flee capture, and so does not charge them additionally for trying to escape).
I could not find anything about France and the food, except a push in 2015 to force supermarkets to donate food instead of destroying it. I have heard of the "no charge for attempting to flee" though I thought it was for another country. Culturally in the USA, there can be food assistance through local food kitchens (churches or community programs), and the federal and state level programs exist. I'm not saying it is comprehensive coverage and the coverage may have shrunk, but it exists in many (most?) cities. But, for any systems of providing food to the poor in other countries, take a look at the system used. There is a social expectation there, that the poor is not going to take whatever they want, the social expectation will be they will take what was offered. This is the key difference between someone asking first, and someone choosing to steal first. If you can go into a store in France and take food, you can be sure that you can only take it from the area set aside for that purpose.

Isn't it bad enough being poor? You have to make it criminal for people to assert themselves and better their situation, too -- so that in poverty, a person also loses all power and dignity? Call it the Jean Valjean law, but no, I don't think anyone should be going to prison for stealing food.
I agree that jail for theft of food is wrong (and enjoyed that movie twice when I was young...). I do not know who said that I said it should be criminal, but read what I wrote, not what others replied to my statements. But I still do not agree with taking without asking, which is why I say "no" to "Does it matter which person is "poorer"?" Taking stuff from others also takes their sense of safety. The people that are just getting by and worried about rent and potential job loss, if you steal their food then you also steal their sense of security, but if you ask for food they might give some, even if it is just a meal, and they might be able to help in other ways.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44812 on: April 14, 2021, 04:37:37 pm »

Ha ha what? We can scroll up and see where you literally called it a crime.

Everywhere in this world where humans live, there are "crimes of opportunity" waiting to be taken. If you were given an example where one person decides to steal some food from another person...

I can get around to responding to the rest of your post after you answer those two questions. My answers to those two questions are "No" and "No"

Quote from: but also
I agree that jail for theft of food is wrong (and enjoyed that movie twice when I was young...). I do not know who said that I said it should be criminal, but read what I wrote, not what others replied to my statements.

Look man nobody is putting words in your mouth here, you're just not communicating well.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44813 on: April 14, 2021, 05:51:26 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:26:46 pm by dragdeler »
let

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44814 on: April 14, 2021, 06:52:42 pm »

Ha ha what? We can scroll up and see where you literally called it a crime.

I can get around to responding to the rest of your post after you answer those two questions. My answers to those two questions are "No" and "No"

Your point is taken. I was not being clear enough... I was attacking the phrase dragdeler was using, "crimes of opportunity" because it is an crap idiom that police and hoodlums use to justify ignoring the wrongness of an action, and I was attacking it gently because I didn't think dragdeler attached the same meaning to it that police and hoodlums do. I was trying to avoid taking some inflammatory tone, but have added the necessary inflammatory words to show what "crimes of opportunity" means to me, the police, and hoodlums.  (don't take it seriously dragdeler... I see you posted something but I haven't read it yet):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dunamisdeos, I get why it was a laugh for you, but I don't think you followed all the other posts. I'm not all huffed up (well I was for a few minutes...lol)

EDIT: there will be a response here for dragdeler here in a few minutes

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44815 on: April 14, 2021, 07:24:11 pm »

That's.... not what that term means, at all. It's a crime that was committed without premeditation. Hard stop. There's no implication of blame on a victim. "Invading a weaker country and putting the population into economic or actual slavery" is exceptionally premeditated.

He's saying that the analogy of a locked front door or a wallet is not a applicable analogy to the wall, because a locked front door prevents someone from walking by, seeing an open door and walking in. People crossing the border illegally are engaging in premeditated acts. Your front door means jack to someone who knows it's there and came with a lockpick. Your wallet being in your pocket is just fine to a mugger. And if that's not what he's saying, I'm saying it.

In the same way, the wall means jack to someone who showed up specifically to climb over. That means you need people to patrol it, or surveil it, and that means even more cost. Why the hell do you have a wall if you have to walk the same number of people or drones back and forth over that terrain anyway? The wall is and was a pointless endeavor.

Are you advocating this or arguing against?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:28:04 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44816 on: April 14, 2021, 07:39:19 pm »

Separately, the mono-rail idea is pretty cool.
Is there a chance the track could bend?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44817 on: April 14, 2021, 08:41:49 pm »

I'm pretty unhappy about how this went, I try to remain on topic, I try to give the benefit of the doubt and not hurl accusations etc even my rhetorical questions may appear to be inflammatory... The more explicit I get the more autobretzeltwisting it elicits. And it creates these weird situations where it appears like I'm the one not understanding the other's position just because my rebuttal consciously avoids parotting back what I perceive as weaponized language... So let me try (I'm not sure anybody could relate) to derail this headache because we have landed far from the discussing the cost/benefit of an actual physical wall anyway... and this doesn't have to be verbal trench warfare.
When I use buzzwords, I tend to treat them poorly, I attempt to apply a chainsaw to them... There is nothing like a buzzword which has developed multiple meanings within different groups, to really mess up proper attempts at dialogue.

The other day I read somewhere this very cliché sentence: "just because you have a reason to be angry it's no excuse for your behaviour" and I have been thinking about it oftentimes... A reason not qualifying as excuse is such ass backwards euphemism think typical of everything that is broken with discourse. A reason is an actual thoughtobject it is as tangible as it will get in the realm of ideas, an excuse on the other hand is a flimsy rhetorical trick, nothing but the sorry shadow of a reason, in which we hide in lack of an actual reason, hoping to be unseen/ignored for what we are or did, and forgotten quickly. Think about it, it's not even disempowering to the notion of being excused, on the contrary, to excuse somebody is to grant them largesse when you know their reasons don't hold up to scrutiny. I know I'm rambling but it seems to be such a prime example how my brain seems to be wired reversely, or at least in a way that gives off that impression. So I suppose it can be difficult to get what I'm saying when I'm fluently switching between different sets of dictionnaries so to say, mixed with heavy doses of sarcasm. Just know that is not my goal to win any arguments like this is a competition, for that I'd have to believe communication is actually effective, I just get incredibly angry at some narratives and then I have to resist, redirect the energy where it came from, like a tree vs a car, I aim to be only vicious to ideas and the reason it might not come across as such is that I got full-on truckloads of frustration to... share. lol And I'm tired, oh so very tired of lengthy texts going back and renegotiating the very basics, the things that were obvious not so long ago. Man when I listen to political satire from 10-15 years ago, it sounds nothing like a joke anymore, just like a sober lecture.
I am not spewing someone else's point of view about the wall. I don't know all the narratives. I believe there needs to be something to block traffic at points on that border to help deal with dangerous traffic (migrants are not dangerous!). I am not trying to get you angry by rehashing this... Look at the southern border, it is a messed up 2000 mile line and that is a lot of territory. The pre-Trump wall blocks about 20% of it and natural terrain blocks some amount as well, Trump added another 5% of wall. At every airport and waterport in the USA, and in the waters off every coast, and on the Canadian coast, there are watched borders, because dangerous things may be entering or exiting. The southern border needs to be watched also. Let me clarify what is dangerous.. the same things that you don't want going into your country..... automatic weapons, land to air rockets, fissionable materials, heroin (and all the similar life-wrecking drugs), jerks who would want to blow up a city block, or blow up a city (I don't consider those to be migrants). You don't want that stuff in your country, I don't want it in mine.... and worse, I know some ppl really want that stuff to get into the US. That is my perspective on the border wall.
Ask me questions about the migrants if you want... they are not part of my concerns about the borders, they are a separate and important human rights issue.

I paraphrased some of what I have said before and it might not be as precise as before, but maybe putting these together in one blob makes it more clear. I don't want lunatics with bombs in my life, nothing good can come from it.

=============
EDIT: more....
That's.... not what that term means, at all. It's a crime that was committed without premeditation. Hard stop. There's no implication of blame on a victim. "Invading a weaker country and putting the population into economic or actual slavery" is exceptionally premeditated.
So, making your plan during a 2 second window involved no planning? Let's look at that again... "I need something and I can't pay for it, so I am waiting near the stuff and when the the vendor moves away, I will grab it"... no planning there. Take is a step further in the wikipedia and:
This theory focuses on the right circumstances for a crime of opportunity to occur.[1] The three main components of this theory emphasize an offender, suitable target and the lack of a capable guardian.
That last part about "lack of capable guardian"... You ask an opportunistic street thief what that means and he'll give you a grin and say, "Capable? No one I have met was capable when I wanted their stuff. You just need to distract them and take it". That bit about "premeditation"... someone who has begun to consider obtaining something by theft/force/etc has started the process of premeditation; they have become willing to commit the wrong. So I disagree.... there are no "crimes of opportunity", it is just a legal buzzword used among the court workforce to attempt to diminish the wrong, probably used for first-time offenders and for "noble" children, to get them out of the system.

He's saying that the analogy of a locked front door or a wallet is not a applicable analogy to the wall, because a locked front door prevents someone from walking by, seeing an open door and walking in. People crossing the border illegally are engaging in premeditated acts. Your front door means jack to someone who knows it's there and came with a lockpick. Your wallet being in your pocket is just fine to a mugger. And if that's not what he's saying, I'm saying it.

I disagree. The presence of a wall is the implication that crossing at that location is illegal. The presence of a locked door is also the implication that crossing there is illegal. The presence of your wallet in your pocket (compared to, on the ground somewhere) is the implication that it is owned.

In the same way, the wall means jack to someone who showed up specifically to climb over. That means you need people to patrol it, or surveil it, and that means even more cost. Why the hell do you have a wall if you have to walk the same number of people or drones back and forth over that terrain anyway? The wall is and was a pointless endeavor.
I covered that in the first post...
No, no, no... Walls are still effective. If someone puts up a wall, quality or not, there is that implication that bypassing it is illegal. If you force legal traffic to cross the border elsewhere, it means that aerial surveillance of that wall section does not need to question the legality of traffic bypassing the wall. Forcing legal traffic elsewhere is the important bit. It increases the land area that can be observed by machinery and high altitude surveillance.
Remember the War on Drugs? You do not buy a completely new set of assets to jumpstart an operation like that, you bring in existing resources, the military. Satellite and/or high-altitude aircraft, an array of cameras providing images to software that compares images and kick anomalies to an office, the office updates parameters on the software as needed. Combined with ground-based cameras and probably other sensors. This wall is not about the migrants, it is about all the other stuff. Well, it was not about the migrants until Trump took some existing anti-migration rhetoric and made a new smoothie out of "migrants, wall, border, jobs, great!".

Are you advocating this or arguing against?
Should that really be up for consideration until after we are all talking about the same thing?

But I am glad it got back to that first post. I think it was misunderstood.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:37:29 pm by anewaname »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44818 on: April 14, 2021, 08:52:42 pm »

It's a pretty bad time for trans people in this country right now.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44819 on: April 15, 2021, 12:39:20 am »

Separately, the mono-rail idea is pretty cool.
Is there a chance the track could bend?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
Pages: 1 ... 2986 2987 [2988] 2989 2990 ... 3514