Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3074 3075 [3076] 3077 3078 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590034 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46125 on: September 02, 2021, 07:28:16 pm »

I saw some panic about the supreme court response to it as of this moment- think someone said that the SC won't hear the case about the new Texas law at present because it hasn't worked its way up through the lower courts or appeals, but will when it's proceeded to them as per process. It's issue with process, not a protection of the new law, they'll hear it when it gets to them as normal.

I hope Texas gets sued three ways to Sunday over this shit so it gets up to the supreme court sooner. Fuck you and your regressive, degenerate political dick-waving, Texas.

The problem is that it is so blatantly unconstitutional (to the point where some of the provisions might as well begin with "in violation of Article I, Section 9 of the United States Constitution") that they should have granted the emergency block.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #46126 on: September 02, 2021, 07:34:43 pm »

Mm, that is concerning; I'm less familiar than you on the phases of government. Have they done other emergency blocks before?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46127 on: September 03, 2021, 08:50:39 am »

The "fun" thing is it seems to be wildly shittily written -- to the tune of there being no penalties for frivolous suits or filing from out of state and a burden of proof of "anonymous rumor" to sue. Current plan from a lot of sources seems to be "sue every person in texas and rake in 10k from anyone that doesn't show up in court".

There are entire counties in Texas that are pretty much financed by frivolous lawsuits. It's the main place for copyright trolls for a reason.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46128 on: September 04, 2021, 02:49:26 pm »

I saw some panic about the supreme court response to it as of this moment- think someone said that the SC won't hear the case about the new Texas law at present because it hasn't worked its way up through the lower courts or appeals, but will when it's proceeded to them as per process. It's issue with process, not a protection of the new law, they'll hear it when it gets to them as normal.
No, the normal thing when a blatantly illegal law gets passed that previous cases explicitly ruled unconstitutional is that the SC immediately blocks it and goes "Haha, nice try" and then when it gets to the new law later they formally throw the law out.

If they don't to that then the law might float around for a few weeks and take effect, which could have really big consequences in that time.

For most stuff even a few weeks doesn't matter, but for important stuff (like this or election stuf) then those few weeks can be a huge deal. In addition, if they just pass very similar laws the moment the last one becomes illegal every few weeks they can still functionally allow or outlaw stuff even if the SC just strikes it down in a few weeks every time.

Like imagine that Florida passed a law saying "Everyone who buys potatoes will be instantly put to death". The Supreme Court would instantly just block it, because if they didn't then a bunch of people would die.
Similarly, if Florida just tried to repass a nearly identical law the month after that one was ruled illegal the Supreme Court would be like "Bruh, we just told you no" and block it again. If they don't then it would be defacto law as it would just get repassed right after the SC rules it illegal.

That's really the issue here; Even if the SC avoids formally overturning Roe V Wade they can functionally overturn it by just not enforcing the law till months later and letting states just make abortion functionally illegal with overlapping laws that then just get overturned eventually.

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46129 on: September 05, 2021, 12:42:54 am »

I think that is the likely scenario: Supreme Court doesn't overturn Roe Vs Wade, but doesn't prevent states from de facto doing the same.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46130 on: September 05, 2021, 10:33:21 pm »

Well, that's the official trigger for me starting the process of leaving the country trug. GG guys, it was nice while it lasted.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46131 on: September 05, 2021, 11:28:47 pm »

it was nice while it lasted.

was it tho

like, the fucking up of my life was pre-ordained from the start.  American dream my ass.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46132 on: September 06, 2021, 01:27:56 am »

I forget who said this, but it's because unborn children are an extremely easy and convenient group to advocate for. They can't ask you for anything or tell you you are wrong, someone else has to care for them, and it just so happens that it's more profitable to arrest people for free prison labor than it is to provide them with contraceptives.

I just stumbled upon the full quote today. Lol, what are the chances?

Really great quote from a United Methodist pastor:

""The unborn" are a convenient group of people to advocate for.

They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don't resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don't ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don't need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don't bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn.

It's almost as if, by being born, they have died to you. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus but actually dislike people who breathe.

Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn."

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46133 on: September 06, 2021, 03:55:14 am »

Would you mind sharing the source for this? I'd love to send it to my Christian relatives.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46134 on: September 06, 2021, 05:14:53 am »

Would you mind sharing the source for this? I'd love to send it to my Christian relatives.

You will have better luck googling it and selecting your favorite source. I just copy and pasted it off reddit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 02:04:52 am by Micro102 »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46136 on: September 11, 2021, 05:37:54 pm »

Never forget, a while ago, 0.004 of a covid happened.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46137 on: September 11, 2021, 05:55:47 pm »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46138 on: September 11, 2021, 08:12:23 pm »

Never forget, a while ago, 0.004 of a covid happened.

That's 0.5 millihitlers in one day.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46139 on: September 11, 2021, 08:47:06 pm »

About 3,7 megamaduros per square meter? Or it was microchavez?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 09:49:21 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 3074 3075 [3076] 3077 3078 ... 3514