Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3107 3108 [3109] 3110 3111 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534272 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46620 on: November 01, 2021, 05:31:29 am »

Nopey nope!

They were created naked, and totally ignorant of good and evil, and thus knew nothing of their nakedness.

It was after they consumed the fruit of the tree of knowledge, that they realized their nakedness, felt shame, and produced garments from fig leaves for themselves.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46621 on: November 01, 2021, 05:33:40 am »

So God is imperfect for creating them without clothing. In fact, his creation was so terrible that they were ashamed of it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #46622 on: November 01, 2021, 05:38:21 am »

This (the antivax thing) is what happens when you take things meant as an allegory (like 70% of the Bible I'd say) literally.

Honestly, public safety goes above religious freedom. What if someone followed a religion that demanded eating a human baby alive every day?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46623 on: November 01, 2021, 05:39:45 am »

This (the antivax thing) is what happens when you take things meant as an allegory (like 70% of the Bible I'd say) literally.

Honestly, public safety goes above religious freedom. What if someone followed a religion that demanded eating a human baby alive every day?
Compromise; let them eat a human baby dead every day

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46624 on: November 01, 2021, 06:28:20 am »

There's some talk about it being the mark of the beast, or at least a trial for the government and Bill Gates to later enforce that on the masses when he unleashes his next virus.  The people in church always hedge their words when they start that way though, because they know my family is vaccinated.
Naturally, because they don't want to have their knowledge of the conspiracy recorded and transmitted back to base by the nanites swarming through your systems...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46625 on: November 01, 2021, 06:47:15 am »

Again, is like I said on the virus thread, or was it here? If "they" have such capacity as like mind control/neutering/tracking nanites, it's game over for you and they don't even need to inject you as you could get them, like, well, a virus which is are very real thing and the only one, besides your own idiocy, that migth to kill you.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46626 on: November 01, 2021, 07:15:13 am »

For the Christian subgroup of conspiracy theorists, isn't everything the mark of the Beast though? Like from vaccination scars (I think it originates from how big the scars people used to get from some vaccination -- against a type of pox I think -- in the days before my generation) to clothes brands and what else
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46627 on: November 01, 2021, 07:15:59 am »

So God is imperfect for creating them without clothing. In fact, his creation was so terrible that they were ashamed of it.

Wrong again! God was just a real voyeur fetishist and the apple gave Adam and Eve the knowledge they were being watched, ruining the whole thing!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46628 on: November 01, 2021, 07:32:57 am »

I'm fairly confident most christians don't actually read the bible.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46629 on: November 01, 2021, 08:06:44 am »

Eh... from what I've encountered, they do, but there's basically zero thinking involved and they mostly come out of it saying whatever their local pastor says, even if that's something that could be accurately termed anti-christian, i.e. explicitly anathema to the teachings and actions of christ.

It's the sort of engagement that can read the story of Onan and leave with the conclusion it's a warning against masturbation or some kind of statement on contraception.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46630 on: November 01, 2021, 10:50:31 pm »

I respect spiritual convictions, I do not respect people who rely on the Bible (or any other book) to support those convictions.

The Bible almost famously prescribes abortion and does not ever condemn it, which tells you all you need to know about anti-abortion "fundamentalists".

It's not an effective book for teaching morality - Frumple's right, it always comes down to how local pastors "interpret" it.  Somehow they have very different ideas, even when they use the same "translation".  You can get Calvinism, Baptism, and Catholicism from the same book.

Edit: But if an Abrahamic has a deeply held belief that fetuses are alive and sacred, I respect that!  I might even agree at a certain stage of development, but they cannot just point to a line in a book.
(And I believe that parents are also alive and sacred)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 10:56:08 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46631 on: November 02, 2021, 12:10:12 am »

I'm fairly confident most christians don't actually read the bible.

I am apostate agnostic, and know the bible better than 90% of christians, yeah.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46632 on: November 02, 2021, 12:48:05 am »

You can get Calvinism, Baptism, and Catholicism from the same book.

Useless historical trivia of the day: Among the differences between Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant versions of the Bible, one of the most notable is that Catholic and Orthodox versions include books such as the Maccabees, which most Protestant versions don't include. The general reasoning for this disagreement tends to be that they aren't part of the Tanakh but are still older than the New Testament stuff, putting them in a bit of grey area known as the deuterocanonical books.

Personally I find the Maccabees a particularly unfortunate exclusion, since it covers the most important event between the Persian period and the Roman one that set up the historical context for what was going on while the New Testament was being written down.

I recall bringing all that up earlier in greater detail previously in this thread, about the historical context and how important that context likely was on influencing the mindset of the people involved in authoring the books that followed. Would have to go hunt it down again I guess.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46633 on: November 02, 2021, 12:50:56 am »

Thanks for bringing that up!  I know the Catholic Bible ("book") contains more books than most other Bibles.  It didn't flow with what I was saying but it is a good point.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46634 on: November 02, 2021, 12:54:56 am »

Either way you're right in that a shared history between Abrahamic religions still leads to a lot of contradictory ideas and interpretations, yeah. Still always amusing when the topic lends itself to historical trivia.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3107 3108 [3109] 3110 3111 ... 3511