Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3133 3134 [3135] 3136 3137 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3600073 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47010 on: November 26, 2021, 03:59:16 am »

Because, as we all know, the United States government has final and ultimate authority on what does and does not make a terrorist organization. Doesn't matter if a group promotes and perpetuates terrorism unless ol' Uncle Sam gives his say-so.
You're not a real terrorist until you receive CIA funding. Until then you're just an enthusiastic amateur

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47011 on: November 26, 2021, 04:38:54 pm »

Thanksgiving is a meal that was historically eaten just "when something good happens" according to the Puritans when they arrived on this shore. "Thank you God for what you have given us etc." It was a habit in England before any colonization happened.

Here, it eventually became almost synonymous with meals that happened after raids on Native American settlements and acquisition of their food stores.

It became an official once-yearly holiday in the time of Abraham Lincoln post-Civil war, a way to "bring the country back together." Unfortunately as I understand it the festival was declared a US holiday shortly before Lincoln sent US soldiers to once again attack the Sioux.

For these reasons a fairly bog-standard, politically neutral religious observance has become charged with imperialist and colonial overtones.

Usually people assemble for a meal of New World foods, such as mashed potatoes, peas, turkey, stuffing, baked sweet potato, corn, gravy, biscuits. Sometimes part of the ritual is taking turns going around the table and saying what you are thankful for this year. After a sensible pause pie is eaten, usually pumpkin or apple, although berry, sweet potato, and pecan pies are also popular.

Friendsgiving is a Thanksgiving meal that you hold with your friends, which is especially common in the GLBT community. It may not take place on the actual day of Thanksgiving. Because Americans who celebrate the Standard American (Christian) Holidays are usually required to spend Christmas with family, it's possible to have a gathering with your friends for Thanksgiving the month or so before and be correctly gendered, able to bring your partner, and so on. Friendsgiving has also become common with college students away from home, immigrant communities, and other young adults living apart from their parents.

Most people working white-collar jobs in the US do not work on Thanksgiving, but many minimum-wage workers are still required to come in. For this reason it is also common for Thanksgiving to be celebrated early or late in families with many working-class members.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47012 on: November 26, 2021, 05:07:21 pm »

All I know is that is lots of food. And that is my kid of holiday!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47013 on: November 26, 2021, 05:17:44 pm »

Thanksgiving is the magical holiday where your racist grandpa gets a captive audience.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47014 on: November 26, 2021, 05:39:55 pm »

Hahaha... your country is to fixed with racism.. that is really sad. Was talking with my mother in law how thankfully we dont have that here. We have a truckload of other problems out of human stupidity but that aint one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47015 on: November 26, 2021, 06:13:30 pm »

I wonder if that's why the WTO decided to skip the greek n for the new variant.
Perhaps some people thought that using an n-word for a variant from dark africa would make certain people upset.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47016 on: November 26, 2021, 06:22:37 pm »

More likely something prosaic such as forseeing the confusion caused when half the world starts calling the nu variant the new variant.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47017 on: November 26, 2021, 06:26:49 pm »

The nu variant is just like the new variant, it just has more style, uses shades and a cap backwards...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47018 on: November 26, 2021, 07:17:29 pm »

And a Xi-variant would be awkward. It'd have some people Jinping to erroneous conclusions.

(So, as I said in the actual virus thread, they made it sound like a giant robot instead. Not that it is, but you do get the same mouthfeel as with Unicron/etc. Little-o ('o-mikron') isn't as used by people as Big-O ('o-mega'), but it still has prior uses that might be recalled.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #47019 on: November 27, 2021, 07:55:41 am »

Something something nu metal
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47020 on: November 27, 2021, 08:19:32 am »

"Crawling in your lungs... those wounds they will not heal (without proper rest)"

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #47021 on: November 27, 2021, 12:06:38 pm »

Sponsored by Flaccid Pancake
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47022 on: November 27, 2021, 12:35:29 pm »

A division of Azure Stroopwafel, LLC

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #47023 on: November 27, 2021, 02:12:27 pm »

Seek immediate confectionery attention if your pancake experiences an erection lasting for more than four hours, as this may be a sign that it is actually just a regular cake.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47024 on: November 27, 2021, 02:25:11 pm »

Ameripol: Going from serious issues to shit flinging to "lets all just fuck a cake" in 2 pages flat.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 3133 3134 [3135] 3136 3137 ... 3515