Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3158 3159 [3160] 3161 3162 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533242 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47385 on: January 23, 2022, 04:12:51 pm »

If it wasn't because so much of that money goes to militarisating the police, that would probably be a good thing.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47386 on: January 23, 2022, 04:18:05 pm »

But if the People's Liberation Army starts robbing banks, mugging old ladies and jaywalking, how would they be able to arrest them..?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:20:40 pm by Starver »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47387 on: January 23, 2022, 04:43:45 pm »

If the USA was outside of the USA the USA would invade the USA to protect its democracy from the corrupt oligarchal regime

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47388 on: January 23, 2022, 04:47:10 pm »

I'm too lazy to look that chart up by per-capita spending.  I mean that (the police spending) number is only about $400 per-capita for the US.  That's somewhat lower than I thought it'd be to be honest.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #47389 on: January 23, 2022, 08:22:08 pm »

If it wasn't because so much of that money goes to militarisating the police, that would probably be a good thing.
Tell me, if the cops were spending their money on something other than weapons, would they still count as cops?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #47390 on: January 23, 2022, 08:33:24 pm »

Do note that is not what scriver suggested.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47391 on: January 23, 2022, 08:47:50 pm »

So, looks like Biden is contemplating sending thousands of troops to Ukraine

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/23/us/politics/biden-troops-nato-ukraine.html

And this is just leaks, so take it for granted, but considering whats going on, seems very plausible.

There is also word of leaks in the military they already ARE being deployed, but the leaks are quickly squashed. And not JUST ukraine. There are supposedly marines and troops being sent to Taiwan too.

I kept saying last year there very well could be a more global conflict, and was hoping not, but it is looking very likely at this point.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47392 on: January 23, 2022, 09:32:20 pm »

I think it's the only logical response against an aggressive autocrat.

EDIT: the whole situation is scary as fuck though. I hope no WW3 breaks out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 09:40:27 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47393 on: January 23, 2022, 09:54:03 pm »

To be frank, what I'm more worried about (well this and also our families friends and their family that reside in China) currently actually more than a global conflict (well as long as that conflict doesn't directly effect me tbh its kinda like the other side of the world). is well...its very likely the far right and the crazies may try attempt #2 at overthrowing the government. I mean they could easily take advantage of a huge war if the US is in middle of one.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #47394 on: January 23, 2022, 10:03:46 pm »

Tell me, if the cops were spending their money on something other than weapons, would they still count as cops?

Yes?
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47395 on: January 24, 2022, 06:24:40 am »

To be frank, what I'm more worried about (well this and also our families friends and their family that reside in China) currently actually more than a global conflict (well as long as that conflict doesn't directly effect me tbh its kinda like the other side of the world). is well...its very likely the far right and the crazies may try attempt #2 at overthrowing the government. I mean they could easily take advantage of a huge war if the US is in middle of one.

Last year's incident required what amounted to a perfect storm of contributing factors that will no longer be in play. Most significantly, response forces were either actively crippled, or else people were afraid to send forces in out of concerns that Trump would issue orders that caused an even bigger crisis. For a minimum of three more years, the head of the US government is rabidly devoted to the rule of law and there will be no doubt what the response will be.

This ignores the fact that in this country partisan tensions almost always decrease, not increase, during a major conflict. This is likely to be even more true in this case than it would in most, because so many of the attacks on Biden are groundless claims of senility and equally groundless charges that he's incapable of decisive action. Both would be obviated by an active conflict - he's been warning against continued aggression from Russia and China for years, and standing up to that aggression is about as decisive as it gets.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #47396 on: January 24, 2022, 07:29:58 pm »

As a Russian, seeing this stuff from the inside, I think Putin's actions right now are saber-rattling meant to spook the West. If Putin wanted to invade he was in a good position to do so several times before.

But overall Biden did the right thing. Doing nothing just gets him branded as a coward even more so than he is already.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47397 on: January 24, 2022, 07:38:50 pm »

As a Russian, seeing this stuff from the inside, I think Putin's actions right now are saber-rattling meant to spook the West. If Putin wanted to invade he was in a good position to do so several times before.

Really though. Does Putin imagine that stationing troops at the borders is going to stop _the US_ from trying to bring Ukraine into NATO? It might stop Ukraine from deciding to join NATO since those guns are pointed directly at them. But the US and Europe? That's not going to work. Obviously it hasn't, if Biden is going to just respond in kind and send more troops there.

Our fears over here is that it's not saber-rattling. That Putin really is willing to risk WW3 for another territorial expansion. Russia's brinksmanship game is A+.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:42:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47398 on: January 24, 2022, 07:58:27 pm »

If you ever played Empire Earth you'll now this ends up with Putin traveling back in time to figth a robot uprising.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47399 on: January 24, 2022, 08:10:21 pm »

I swear to fornication, if it turns out rightwing nutjobs actually do have a goddamn chronosphere instead of just being too incompetent to get the day of month right on news articles and crap, I'm going to riot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3158 3159 [3160] 3161 3162 ... 3511