Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3161 3162 [3163] 3164 3165 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533633 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47430 on: January 28, 2022, 04:08:55 pm »

This has nothing to do with Biden, Trump, the federal government, or the need for better bridge infrastructure.
Ofcourse this has nothing to do with Biden. I think in this case, even Iduno posted this as satire and humor, not as actual blame of Biden.
No one is dumb enough to believe those two things are related.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47431 on: January 28, 2022, 04:37:29 pm »

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1485612824583888898

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So we can ignore science and engineering now.
The original news article.

This has nothing to do with Biden, Trump, the federal government, or the need for better bridge infrastructure.

The bridge was a historic bridge. The truck was too tall to fit through the tunnel and the truck was too heavy for the posted weight limit. Both of these points are exactly why Commercial Driver Licenses are regulated and those businesses need to go through red tape to operate.

This local news article give more details about charges applied to the driver. The reporter said "the man she says owned the company wouldn't take our calls so it's unclear whether or not the company has in fact closed down" and "the trucking company's insurance and the Orange County Commissioners are now trying to figure out who will cover damages", which is good, since it means that at least the business was insured.

This has nothing to do with Biden, Trump, the federal government, or the need for better bridge infrastructure, it is about stupidity.

I blame this on kids not doing enough physical work when they are pre-teen. They fail to learn how dangerous momentum can be and to understand that either the truck will fit or it will not fit, and you need to know which before you try to insert the truck into the bridge tunnel. I also blame the business for not using a CDL-class GPS device, which I presume is why they attempted to use that bridge.

My job involves working with people in the truck parts industry, and by extension, the trucking industry.

I've generally seen you have two types of long haul drivers.

-The experienced, serious operators. Even if they don't have years under their belt, they're exceptionally careful, methodical, they understand their machines and what they can and can't do with them and what the price of bad decisions and bad driving is. These drivers often own their own vehicles which makes them very responsible.
-The operators who are barely able to keep it together. They chose trucking for the freedom and lack of structure, possibly because they couldn't function in a regular job. They probably? managed to pass their drug tests and basic driving proficiency tests at some point but don't know their machines, don't care and are likely to take stupid, uninformed shortcuts rather than trucking through approved lanes. These guys often rent or lease their vehicles, or they're owned by their company. So their investment is lower.

And obviously, not all trucking companies are created equal. I don't know what federal regulations are for freight companies in general but I imagine many of them don't have rigorous vetting, training and oversight capacity. At least for stuff under several tons.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 04:40:25 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47432 on: January 28, 2022, 04:42:28 pm »

I blame this on kids not doing enough physical work when they are pre-teen. They fail to learn how dangerous momentum can be and to understand that either the truck will fit or it will not fit, and you need to know which before you try to insert the truck into the bridge tunnel. I also blame the business for not using a CDL-class GPS device, which I presume is why they attempted to use that bridge.
Truck driver here.

One of the many things drilled into a trucker's head during training is that one needs to keep the weight and dimensions of their truck in mind at all times, and be on the lookout for posted warnings about those factors. Assuming the bridge in that photo everyone's talking about was properly marked, we're looking at a driver who either failed to notice the signs or was seriously underestimating the specifications on their equipment. Either way it wouldn't really matter much how fast the truck was going except in the degree of damage inflicted; any CMV trying to make it over that bridge is going to cause problems.

As for the CDL-class GPS, unfortunately I know from experience that they can just plain be wrong sometimes. Sometimes they'll direct you down roads that CMVs are not supposed to go down, or make maneuvers that CMVs should not attempt (U-turns on a two-lane road? wtf). Sometimes they'll refuse to route down roads that do allow CMVs, at least partly. There was one particular truck stop (as in a location that is very specifically designed and built to accommodate all but the largest trucks) where the GPS would scream about low height clearances at the fuel pumps every time I visited (they were not low at all, probably a good 16-17 feet). You're supposed to check your route on a trucker's atlas, but with detours caused by road construction or traffic accidents that isn't a sure bet either.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47433 on: January 28, 2022, 04:51:58 pm »

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1485612824583888898

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So we can ignore science and engineering now.
The original news article.

Don't worry, there was a fresh bridge collapse nearby where Biden was going to give an infrastructure speech today.

(I don't think there was a truck involved with this one, just amusing.)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47434 on: January 28, 2022, 07:18:41 pm »

Ofcourse this has nothing to do with Biden. I think in this case, even Iduno posted this as satire and humor, not as actual blame of Biden.
No one is dumb enough to believe those two things are related.

No, he's spent nearly 40 years trying to drive this country to fascism, and his followers have been doing the same. He has consistently supported any war, increase in policing, defending police from repercussions of brutality, preventing non-whites/LGBTQ+/poor people from having equal rights. I'd happily see the lot of them hanging from their toes. This is just a mildly-amusing anecdote related to the problems he's continually trying to cause.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47435 on: January 28, 2022, 07:21:43 pm »

No, he's spent nearly 40 years trying to drive this country to fascism
uhmm

I'd happily see the lot of them hanging from their toes.
Now this, this is fascism. Inciting or at least endorsing violence against your political opponents

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47436 on: January 28, 2022, 07:24:32 pm »

I'd happily see the lot of them hanging from their toes.
Now this, this is fascism. Inciting or at least endorsing violence against your political opponents
[/quote]

A few genocides are fine, but seeing the new fascists facing the same as Mussolini is wrong?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47437 on: January 28, 2022, 07:26:32 pm »

How on earth did you get from a collapsed bridge to genocide.
<flabberghasted>

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47438 on: January 28, 2022, 08:01:45 pm »

Does iduno think that "when bridges don’t have weight restrictions" in regards to an infrastructure bill, means that he thinks that Biden just wants to remove all weight limitations? Rather than make bridges with better infrastructure so they can hold any truck?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47439 on: January 28, 2022, 08:39:41 pm »

fascism is when bridge fall over
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47440 on: January 28, 2022, 09:35:02 pm »

You gotta laugh...

No, he's spent nearly 40 years trying to drive this country to fascism,and his followers have been doing the same.
Who can forget his invocation of Tiki-Torch parades...
He has consistently supported any war,
His talk of "Fire and fury" against North Korea...
increase in policing,
Does that count 'snatch squads' in vans? Yeah, he definitely was the one who did that.
(Note*)
defending police from repercussions of brutality,
Yes, definitely the person who encouraged police actions against peaceful protestors/bystanders.
preventing non-whites/LGBTQ+/poor people from having equal rights.
Definitely the Evul Demonrats who entirely does that!

Sarcasm aside, I can see how the 'Left' in the US is not particularly enviable in their historic (or even current, in some instances) viewpoints. Any politician with decades of long-standing is going to find themselves with choice selections where they were 'wrong' in the cold light of reflection. But relative to their counterparts... A breath of fresh air. A whiff of rotten eggs smell, but could be worse given the continuing stinks. As a contemporary choice, there's no real argument. With hopes that an even better choice becomes available, somehow.

*Note - Increased policing isn't a bad thing, nor is reduction. (And both sides in the last Presidential elections accused each other of trying/wanting to defund the police.) What's wrong is where it isn't done in the right places for the right reasons. And clearly the US has a currently uneven spread of basic law-enforcement and access to justice. The arguments about where and how the uneveness is will be the sticking point for people all across the board.

Toes aside (really, I'd be more charitable even against the people I truly think deserve it), I have no direct skin in the game but I know I might easily seem as partisan (equal but opposite) as it appears you are.

(If pressed, I'd quote Mercutio's dying words. But I'm not.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #47441 on: January 28, 2022, 10:33:31 pm »

I don’t think Iduno is particularly anti-Democrat or pro-Republican (and certainly not pro-Trump!) than just anti-Biden.

I may be wrong however, as it’s late and I can’t be bothered trawling through their post history.

They are rabid about he anti-Biden thing though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47442 on: January 28, 2022, 11:14:03 pm »

Iduno's been pretty virulently anti-democratic party for a while now, actually. Far as I can tell they actually dislike the dems more than the GOP (to the point of cheerfully slinging around US right-wing taking points when they're aimed at a notable Democratic politician), and they definitely spend more time around here throwing shade at the former than the latter.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47443 on: January 29, 2022, 06:16:13 am »

I can only assume that what meant by driving to fascim, is how you can't keep implementing late stage capitalism and expect the majority to turn out politically nuanced. Biden has an awful trackrecord and it will forever be a stain on your nations' history how y'all anointed the dotard out of fear over the orange incompetent, how the "majority" (we can hardly speak of democracy with how many people don't vote in the US) picked one shitty retropism over the other in this moment of historical urgency. Driving to fascism as opposed to calling to fascism like trump did.

Or to simplify it way more: rather two real ennemies than one false friend.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:36:26 am by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47444 on: January 29, 2022, 08:56:26 am »

maybe our politicians would have better track records if they weren't

y'know

eighty years old.
I consume