Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3227 3228 [3229] 3230 3231 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590375 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48420 on: May 12, 2022, 04:38:24 pm »

Well, I don't think anyone cares what I have to say anymore, so I'll be going....

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48421 on: May 17, 2022, 07:05:06 pm »

Folks, it ain't just Roe vs. Wade...

https://thehill.com/news/campaign/3491441-supreme-court-makes-latest-slice-in-mccain-feingolds-death-by-1000-cuts/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/05/17/supreme-court-ted-cruz-decision-political-corruption/
The End of Campaign Finance Reform

https://www.foxnews.com/us/supreme-court-5-4-illegal-immigrant-deportation
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/16/politics/supreme-court-immigration-cases-disputes/index.html
The Supreme Court is powerless to save illegal aliens even from clerical errors and gross misjudgement.
Even Fox News at the end had to report on this semi-accurately, hence why I cited to them.  CNN of course included more poignant facts of the case.

So, the problem is that at least a couple of the Conservatives on the bench have some areas where their integrity hasn't disintegrated entirely.
BUT, those areas are DIFFERENT for the Conservative Justices, so the remaining Conservatives outnumber them.

Hey Textualist Orginalist Justices! Guess what? The US Constitution protects PEOPLE not citizens! So as long as someone is of the genus Homo Sapiens, the US Constitution protects them from the US Government! Shove that into your Legal Analysis and smoke it!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48422 on: May 23, 2022, 05:03:23 am »

In a press conference in Tokyo, Biden has said that the US is willing to provide military aid to Taiwan, if China decides to invade it.
When asked if he was willing to send US soldiers, he answered 'yes'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48423 on: May 23, 2022, 06:52:57 am »

I think that's in line with (most) prior policies, and better to state that now and perhaps avert (or delay until a future term) any actual need to do so than to risk being not thought serious enough despite the background level of hints and the opportunity is taken by the Chinese.

But it does seem a bit direct. Maybe I'm now more used to (certain) Presidents talking loudly and wielding only a foam LARP sword.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 06:57:09 am by Starver »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48424 on: May 23, 2022, 07:30:49 am »

The previous policy was that the US would back Taiwan and everybody knew it, but to avoid offending the PRC nobody would actually say it.

This is fallout from the Ukraine war. Not only has it shown that the international alliance blocs that the US is at the center of aren't actually falling apart, but China's always relied on Russia's mere existence to tie up a ton of resources in the event things go sour. It is increasingly likely that the US won't be needing to position all that many troops in Eastern Europe to deter Russian aggression for quite a while after this war's over.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48425 on: May 23, 2022, 03:04:26 pm »

The reverse repo has officially hit two trillion dollars today and it's not even the end of the second quarter.

Inflation, QE coming home to roost, or people in desperate need to fulfill obligations? Who knows?! Some people are just in need of temporarily "owning" assets these days, for some reason.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48427 on: May 23, 2022, 04:57:39 pm »

Hey at least the Federal Appeals Court upheld the decision that Florida's social media law is unconstitutional.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48428 on: May 23, 2022, 08:20:29 pm »

Hey at least the Federal Appeals Court upheld the decision that Florida's social media law is unconstitutional.
Heh, just wait till it gets the Supreme Court.  They'll probably overturn the decision of the Federal Appeals Court!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48429 on: May 24, 2022, 04:09:46 pm »

The reverse repo has officially hit two trillion dollars today and it's not even the end of the second quarter.

Inflation, QE coming home to roost, or people in desperate need to fulfill obligations? Who knows?! Some people are just in need of temporarily "owning" assets these days, for some reason.
Lenders are looking for the super-sized secured loans because the pedestrian borrower markets and the securities markets are looking scary.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48430 on: May 24, 2022, 09:00:49 pm »

So... yeah. New entry in the top 10 deadliest school shootings. Latest count I've seen is 21 dead, 3 adult, 18 elementary school kids, in a texas attack. Shooter was 18, also dead at this point.

Actually engaged cops prior to killing anyone, apparently didn't do much to stop them. Information's fairly sparse, still, near as I can tell. Likely will be for a bit. Fucked up as it ever is :-\

E: Though if any of you go looking for information on that, and find pictures or information about the shooter being trans, know that there's currently a pile of rightwing fucks spreading lies about some (not dead, not in texas) transwoman or another being the shooter. So... yeah. Heads up. It's apparently something of a trend among those sacks of shit, lately.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:01:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48431 on: May 25, 2022, 06:23:06 am »

Oh my lord what the fuck is wrong with these people? Why the fuck shoot kids? He deserved to be sliced with rusty knifes for as long as possible.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48432 on: May 25, 2022, 07:27:23 am »

The shootings will continue as culturally and in terms of governing we will do nothing about it.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48433 on: May 25, 2022, 08:42:52 am »

Obviously the solution is every kid needs a talisman with an alive zygote within.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 09:20:40 am by dragdeler »
let

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #48434 on: May 25, 2022, 01:38:59 pm »

E: Though if any of you go looking for information on that, and find pictures or information about the shooter being trans, know that there's currently a pile of rightwing fucks spreading lies about some (not dead, not in texas) transwoman or another being the shooter. So... yeah. Heads up. It's apparently something of a trend among those sacks of shit, lately.

Between this and the severe rhetoric about how queer purple-haired liberal sexual deviant teachers are teaching kids atheism, CRT, and perversion, I fear we'll see more massacres like this.

They'll weaponize a tragedy to wage their ideological warfare and perpetuate that very same devastation. Just... Fuck.
Pages: 1 ... 3227 3228 [3229] 3230 3231 ... 3514