Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3246 3247 [3248] 3249 3250 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533563 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48705 on: June 22, 2022, 07:50:56 pm »

I mean, the public schools refuse to have sex ed, too. Or let you opt out of it pretty easily too, anyways,

I'd be pretty concerned as an adult if I had to know Jesus stuff for a passing grade; younger me didn't have that option and fortunately didn't need to, but for those kids that may use this voucher program might be required to. That's kind of a concern to me, but I don't know the core issue well to make a founded rant about.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48706 on: June 22, 2022, 07:53:20 pm »

Yeah trying to remember, we had bible class, but it was laughably easy to pass.

I'd be more comfortable with funding schools that had it as an elective.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48707 on: June 22, 2022, 08:02:12 pm »

I'm reminded of those infographics about exactly how much of the American population by state firmly believes in God or in religion and how remarkably high that number is by state; the private vouchers make total sense if you blithely accept this sort of thing as normal but comes of as somewhat horrifying if you're estranged from religion and the bodies that perpetuate it, or if that religion is not your own. As a student, you just kind of understand that it needs to happen because the trajectory of your life is kind of out of your control at that point, except for where we looked at those wicca kids as being particularly weird.

I'll let you speculate what the odds of a private wicca school existing are and broadly indicate that the way we assumed those kids to be is wrong and intolerant, but school is precisely the environment where intolerance is honed to a laser point.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48708 on: June 22, 2022, 08:11:03 pm »

Yeah, that's my issue with it too. Not that my religion won't be represented, but that others will be stifled. Or that non-religious schools might, for that matter. I just don't have the know-how to know.... how.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48709 on: June 22, 2022, 09:46:46 pm »

Thought Experiment: If Islamic schools received Government Funding, is that awesome?

I'd also like to see Wiccan schools be created.  I mean, the kids might have to travel a distance to attend, but maybe with the vouchers and the lower requirements to teach, one can get off the ground in Maine?

Problem #2: Not all private schools are required to do background checks

Suggestion: Only give vouchers to private schools that do background checks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #48710 on: June 22, 2022, 11:21:31 pm »

If the money is siphoned off of public education, then no. Tax breaks etc are already there to fund religious schools.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48711 on: June 23, 2022, 01:47:15 am »

Anyone read the Texas GOP party platform that basically just says "Yep, we are Christofascists and are coming for your democracy and lives" over and over again? Reads like a Qanon facebook group.

Notes to include:

- Want everything to be an electoral college, with redistricting bias only being illegal if it's against conservatives.

- Removal of contact tracing. No more warning people they might have caught a deadly disease!

- Infinite tax cuts for property owners.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48712 on: June 23, 2022, 07:14:07 am »

I'd also like to see Wiccan schools be created.  I mean, the kids might have to travel a distance to attend,
You just need to put on a special train from a platform that non-wiccans don't even know exists, or let them travel there by an illicit flying Ford 300...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48713 on: June 23, 2022, 08:33:03 am »

Anyone read the Texas GOP party platform that basically just says "Yep, we are Christofascists and are coming for your democracy and lives" over and over again? Reads like a Qanon facebook group.

Notes to include:

- Want everything to be an electoral college, with redistricting bias only being illegal if it's against conservatives.

- Removal of contact tracing. No more warning people they might have caught a deadly disease!

- Infinite tax cuts for property owners.

Supposedly it also officially rejects the idea that Biden won the election.  These are scary times.

Sometimes, I try to imagine that 20 years ago people were saying and doing these insane things and I just didn't know about it because I didn't look into politics back then.  I'm starting to doubt they were this crazy or part of official party platforms though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48714 on: June 23, 2022, 09:21:52 am »

Christofascists

Dark days, when such a word can make sense.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48715 on: June 23, 2022, 11:11:09 am »

20 years ago, the Internet was new for many people.
It's mostly just the effect of the internet on society.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48716 on: June 23, 2022, 12:12:55 pm »

A whole generation huffed leaded gasoline for a living but sure.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48717 on: June 23, 2022, 12:30:40 pm »

Also all the great replacement bullshit being espoused by talking heads like Tucker Carlson isn't from the internet, that's cable television. I'd also like to know which part of the internet appointed three conservative supreme court judges now doing their damndest to erode established liberties or leads House reps to open anything they say with 'Glory to God.'

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48718 on: June 23, 2022, 12:40:49 pm »

Getting ahead of the misinformation, the SCOTUS ruled against NY in the Bruen case, decreeing that "may issue" permitting is prohibited.

Despite what many outlets are saying, they did NOT find requiring a permit for carriage (or ownership) unconstitutional. What they threw out was the subjective "good cause" requirement that allowed issuing authorities to just say "well, you meet all the requirements in the law, but fuck you I'm denying it anyway".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48719 on: June 23, 2022, 02:00:37 pm »

I'm shocked, shocked, to see the three Democrat justices' wanting to uphold New York's Jim Crow gun control law.

I doubt they'd say the same for literacy tests.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 3246 3247 [3248] 3249 3250 ... 3511