Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3335 3336 [3337] 3338 3339 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3582130 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50040 on: November 29, 2022, 06:24:58 pm »

I've been trying to find details about this whole rail labor thing.

So far all I've seen is that rail workers currently get zero paid sick days, and they were requesting fifteen, and were offered a single personal day.

What I can't find anywhere in my easy/lazy searching what the general vacation policy is.

To be fair, if you assume a 250-day working year, (5 days x 50 weeks), 15 sick days is only a 6% reduction in working days. I can't imagine that allowing 15 paid working days would really result in a 6% loss of output.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50041 on: November 29, 2022, 06:49:06 pm »

Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50042 on: November 29, 2022, 07:22:15 pm »

To be fair, if you assume a 250-day working year, (5 days x 50 weeks), 15 sick days is only a 6% reduction in working days. I can't imagine that allowing 15 paid working days would really result in a 6% loss of output.
The chatter I've seen (mostly over on spacebattles, which has a pretty large thread on it, if you have an account to get to the politics section) notes that, particularly for newer workers, that's not a solid assumption. There's some poor bastards that have apparently been seeing like 30 days off total, over the course of a year. That's not a 250 day working year, it's a 335 one, and seeing regular 12 hour shifts for entire weeks straight (the technical limitation I've seen cited is 12 hours every 22 hour period, without some kind of limitation for sequential periods, which you can imagine is exactly as fucked up as it sounds like).

You'd have to do some solid digging to look up primary sources/actual legislation causing the issues, but the major problem the workers are having is that the protections and basic limitations for railworkers is... fucked up. More fucked up than apparently pretty much every other industry in the country outside of maybe, like, literally illegal labor, and with specific carveouts in the law to prevent normal protections from applying to them.

Their situation's pretty shit, which combined with the difficulty of a lot of the work is basically the big reason they're having difficulty hiring and retaining workers, to the detriment of more or less everyone that relies on railway to some degree or another (i.e. all of us).

Meanwhile the companies involved are, of course, posting record profit figures ::)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50043 on: November 29, 2022, 08:15:30 pm »

Wow I knew the laws for rail labor were different, but I didn't realize they were that different.   You'd think that if they are working 335 day years, 15 additional days is only a 2% reduction... and companies would probably make that up in better productivity just due to better morale.

It's an odd situation where the companies would rather promise 25% raise over 4 or 5 years (which is a promise for more cash, based on non-guaranteed revenue) instead of giving 15 days paid leave which is a promise which doesn't rely on any forecasts at all to guarantee.

It's a shame that logic doesn't often prevail.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50044 on: November 29, 2022, 08:26:11 pm »

I work as an intermodal truck driver, so my job is dependent on freight trains. If they want to strike, I say they should go for it. Hopefully they'll get some better conditions, but sadly I'm not expecting it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50045 on: November 29, 2022, 08:41:57 pm »

The big issue is that the railroads are massively understaffed for a large number of reasons, not least of which is that rail work was one of the jobs on the "DO NOT ENTER THIS FIELD! AUTOMATION WILL MAKE IT GO AWAY in ten to fifteen years!" list ten to fifteen years ago. It doesn't help that the people driving the train are (from what people in the field have told me) trained for specific routes - if all the guys who drive a train from NY to Chicago call in sick, there will be no trains going from NY to Chicago that day. At present, losing staff would have a very strong chance of making portions of the rail network not run.

There is also very little ability to coerce the rail companies, because a rail shutdown would cause Black Thursday levels of economic damage. Which is also why the unions don't have the leverage people assume they do - if they strike, the huge numbers of people who lose their jobs as a result will blame them, not the companies. For practical, political, and legal reasons the government's only real power here is to force the currently negotiated agreement into place.

Which is why if you dig into the actual votes on the Biden-brokered deal, there is probably an absolute majority of rail workers that voted for it. The 4 out of 12 unions that have so far turned it down did so by a slim margin, and in at least one a majority of workers voted Yes on it. But in that union, a contract requires every sub-union to also vote yes on any contract, and one or two subunits voted No.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50046 on: November 29, 2022, 10:48:18 pm »

My understanding is that the Biden-brokered deal isn't that bad, except for one particular group (the drivers, I think). That particular group gets an excrement deal, though, and so the no votes are mostly in solidarity with that group.

Either way, as you say congress is going to impose an 'agreement' on them just like last time.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50047 on: November 30, 2022, 12:11:48 am »

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50048 on: November 30, 2022, 03:38:36 am »

They could also force the conditions the union wants, and given that these companies can afford tens of billions of dollars in stock buybacks, they can afford some sick leave. It's a serious problem that the government can basically go "O, this monopolistic company refuses to give it's workers comfortable jobs and is threatening the economy to become even more monopolistic? Guess strikes and protests aren't legal anymore!".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50049 on: November 30, 2022, 07:02:42 am »

You seem to think this is purely a money issue - that they aren't offering sick leave because they're greedy and want to keep all their cash. Except that they've agreed to massive pay raises. They're quite open about the core problem being that if they have too many unscheduled call-offs, they will be unable to run trains at all. They literally face a potential "we have nobody to run this route this week, don't know when we will, all these carloads of perishables have to be thrown out" scenario. You can't chalk it down to deliberate understaffing either - there's dozens of job postings at $67K+/year with essentially now requirements. It is a matter of not enough applicants and an extremely lengthy training period required.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50050 on: November 30, 2022, 09:47:53 am »

Yup this is an interesting specific case of a more general political problem: at what point does legitimate individual concern, when applied to a collective, cause problems to an even greater collective.  We see it in things like pandemic response, monetary policy, and this labor issue.

Consider a contrived example: What would happen if every single supplier of insulin, say, just decided they didn't want to make it any more.  Would people accept the government forcing people to work to make it? Even if the government took imminent domain of the facilities, and offered massive salaries to people to take it over, there would be a ramp-up gap to train the new people. Could the government force the workers that wanted to leave, to keep making the product so there wouldn't be a literally deadly shortage in the interim before the ramp-up time was complete?  Whose "rights" win here - the bodily autonomy of the workers, or the "right" of people needing the product to have it?  (This is intentionally worded to be as argumentative as possible, by the way...)

What happens in the reductio ad absurdum where even with offering stupidly high wages, they don't get enough people to operate the insulin factories, so there isn't any supply anyway?

I do see the rail operators' concern with this - sure they can give individuals lots of sick time. But if they do get too many people simultaneously using sick time - that's a problem, and it likely can't mathematically be solved just by hiring more people: after all, if they keep increasing wages and people still aren't accepting jobs (as hinted by the earlier post), what happens.  Can we "force" companies to be unstable by over-hiring and having smaller profit margins? Sure companies may have record profits today, but if they aren't saving some of it, then any disruption will cause problems - this isn't even a question, we have numerous examples of what happens when companies have no reserves.

Now personally I think society as a whole would be better if it shifted more of its focus to sustainability rather than growth, but the incentive structure is heavily weighted to growth. This isn't just Wall Street either - it's in many people's personal view too; not satisfied simply with current standard of living, always wanting increase either now or in their retirement accounts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50051 on: November 30, 2022, 10:53:38 am »

You seem to think this is purely a money issue - that they aren't offering sick leave because they're greedy and want to keep all their cash. Except that they've agreed to massive pay raises.
I mean, they clearly are greedy and want to keep all their cash, though -- despite all the problems they're having, the major companies involved are posting record profits. They're extremely clearly unwilling to cut into that in order to fix shit, because if they weren't, shit would be fixed and their profits wouldn't be appropriate for a satire. It's almost certainly not solely a money issue, but there's absolutely signs it very much is to a large degree.

You can't chalk it down to deliberate understaffing either - there's dozens of job postings at $67K+/year with essentially now requirements. It is a matter of not enough applicants and an extremely lengthy training period required.
If you're not getting enough applicants at 67k+/year (though that's actually pretty shit if you're talking some of the schedules that are apparently involved -- if you're getting that little for 80+ hour weeks, you're getting screwed, hard), then you're clearly either not offering enough for what you're asking of people and/or there's something else wrong with how you're operating. You can be hiring at 67k a year and still be deliberately understaffing if you're asking people to work themselves into an early grave with long hours and shit scheduling and such.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50052 on: November 30, 2022, 11:01:39 am »

IIRC part of it is they're running half as many trains, which are twice as long, in order to need less train crews and reduce labor cost.  And rail infrastructure such as it is isn't built to handle the double length trains.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50053 on: November 30, 2022, 11:52:33 am »

There are certainly plenty of jobs that are essential to always be staffed and yet offer sick leave, less than 12-hour shifts, and more than 30 days off a year.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50054 on: November 30, 2022, 12:49:37 pm »

The obvious solution if there aren't enough people is to pay to train more.
The issue is that is expensive and requires planning for the future. Since American capitalism is a snake that eats its own tail and burns the future for present profits they (and many other businesses like the airlines) don't do that.

The other obvious thing is to not treat them terribly, which many businesses also can't seem to stop doing even to their exceedingly highly trained and skilled workers (eg. Doctors and nurses).

Obviously they think that legally screwing over their workers is easier/cheaper then the above, and they could very well be right.
E: The railroad companies have a profit margin of 50%. 50! It's huge, if they wanted they could easily fix the issue. But it would cost money, so they are playing hardball instead.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 01:37:30 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 3335 3336 [3337] 3338 3339 ... 3513