Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3348 3349 [3350] 3351 3352 ... 3512

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3577561 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50235 on: January 05, 2023, 07:54:04 pm »

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1610924980132368387
Oklahoma bill to forcibly detransition people up to age 26 as numerous other bills targeting those under 18 or 21 already passing or passed in fash states.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50236 on: January 05, 2023, 08:22:52 pm »

GOP in congress reminds me of a game I had in dwarf fortress. I had a bunch of coffee and I have a mouth infection, so bear with me. Maybe you'll see the hidden meanings or not or maybe there are none.

I was doing super good, winning the game...decided...you know what...I'm bored.... also partly the dwarves were lagging the game and my old pc was junk.

So I open a pit of magma and play what dwarf is smart enough to not go in the magma.

Well solved the lag problem, but then the magma was lagging my pc. my old pc just couldn't keep up with everything going on, and eventually crashed my pc. I booted it up, my save game was corrupted and I started a new fortress knowing all my work from before was a learning process of what to do...and what not to do...

what the point of this post is...uh well nothing...just like GOP in congress

I'll see myself out

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50237 on: January 05, 2023, 09:21:21 pm »

callout to leeroy jenkins in congress today

and yeah, meanwhile what alway posted. Shit's a farce, and it's fucked up that significant portions of our representatives are actively trying to make it one (and no, I'm not talking about huffman) :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50238 on: January 06, 2023, 05:41:07 am »

The never-kevin group is making the right move tactically for themselves. They have a lot more leverage by stalling the vote now (for leadership) rather than later (for individual bills).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50239 on: January 06, 2023, 05:53:26 am »

Hm, so the problem with the debt ceiling is that many Americans probably feel (and are being told, I imagine) that raising it is stupid.
I mean, we should be controlling our debt, and authorizing the US Government to take on MORE debt seems counter-productive.

Like most politics, this is a stupid thinking, because with 8% inflation, the US Government MUST increase it's debt ceiling just to cover that 8%. Since the US dollar has been devalued continuously by the 8% inflation, the US Government isn't actually taking on any more debt if the ceiling is raised just to cover the inflation.

I'm starting to think the goal of politics is to pass laws that Stupid people think are Smart, and that only Smart people think are Stupid.  The Stupids outnumber the Smarts, and are more reliable voters.  And fundamentally, the Smarts are going to look at the whole picture, and pick the least worst option.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50240 on: January 06, 2023, 09:17:56 am »

Hm, so the problem with the debt ceiling is that many Americans probably feel (and are being told, I imagine) that raising it is stupid.
I mean, we should be controlling our debt, and authorizing the US Government to take on MORE debt seems counter-productive.

I don't know how much of that is intentional versus even many politicians probably don't understand the difference between sovereign debt and "personal" debt.  It also belies a lack of understanding between borrowing to consume versus borrowing to make a productive investment.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #50241 on: January 06, 2023, 12:17:47 pm »

In general, without education in how a topic works at scale people are bad at understanding it. Applies to physics just as well as economics.

'Reasonable' assumptions fall down at significant enough differences in scale. Taking on debt in absolute terms can mean you have more money in relative terms. You'd need to put in infinite effort to go any faster than the speed of light. Neither of these things make intuitive sense to the average persons lived experience without being educated in them. Neither are particularly well taught to the average person, in part because of a lack of interest in teaching them to the average person and in part because doing so is just really hard.

(side-note, I propose we call a financial idea that works for the average person but not for governments "Newtonian Economics" /jk).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 12:21:31 pm by MorleyDev »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50242 on: January 06, 2023, 12:27:33 pm »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50243 on: January 06, 2023, 01:12:23 pm »

McCarthy flipped most of the holdouts this vote after the large deal announced last night / this morning, but still enough holdouts for him to fail the vote.

The remaining holdouts are much more personally against McCarthy as opposed to just policy demands, so hard to tell how much longer this will last.

Also worth noting that several of the flippers will be keen to oust him soon enough regardless - because he's making promises he'll have a lot of trouble keeping.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50244 on: January 06, 2023, 01:30:28 pm »

I'd gladly give you $1,000,000,000 tomorrow if you would just hand me that loaded gun today....

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50245 on: January 06, 2023, 01:44:04 pm »

Oh right, and when I said "deal" I meant "continued negotiation" - because it isn't actually a deal proper yet, some members made clear that they hadn't committed yet when they flipped, and McCarthy will continue to find further ground to give before it's over.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #50246 on: January 06, 2023, 02:02:39 pm »

There also could be an element of "I'll vote for you knowing it won't pass but it'll give you motivation to give even more away for the rest of them rather than packing in now" going on. Far as I can tell the only option this 'opens up' unless the rebels fold is now he's ahead of the Dem candidate he can push for a plurality vote rather than a majority using the pre-Civil War 1855 situation as precedent?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 02:12:37 pm by MorleyDev »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50247 on: January 06, 2023, 05:26:16 pm »

Oh right, and when I said "deal" I meant "continued negotiation" - because it isn't actually a deal proper yet, some members made clear that they hadn't committed yet when they flipped, and McCarthy will continue to find further ground to give before it's over.
I mean, the entire sedition freedom caucus in particular is entirely unreliable -- their baseline nature means they don't "commit" to anything even beyond the level of a memetic politician and their word means shit if someone else can't enforce it on them. You can assume any deal made with the lot that's been voting against him will be broken, probably fairly rapidly.

... I'd say it's an unfortunate position for McCarthy and his ilk to be in, but fuck the lot of them, they made this bed of shit and they can lay in it. It's unfortunate the rest of the country has to deal with their crap.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50248 on: January 07, 2023, 12:11:23 am »

The never McCarthy folks switch to present (after some more drama...) and McCarthy secures the speakership (for now).

Sounding like more drama pretty soon with the rules package, as some moderates are balking at the emerging details of the deal with the far right. But doubtful it'll be as dramatic as the last few days were.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50249 on: January 07, 2023, 01:16:52 am »

I can't fnd the specifics for McCarthy having finally gotten enough votes.
What did he have to promise to get the right wing votes? Are jews and black people still allowed in the US?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3348 3349 [3350] 3351 3352 ... 3512