Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3373 3374 [3375] 3376 3377 ... 3512

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3576311 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50610 on: March 21, 2023, 03:45:43 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 10:03:17 pm by JoshuaFH »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50611 on: March 23, 2023, 12:30:10 am »

(not that either are consistent, a Normalized Vector has nothing to do with a statistical normal).

... you fucking rang?

Some of you may have been here back in 2015 and 2016 and heard some of us talking about nazis and shit and may even remember people acting like it was silly because they aren't goose-stepping around with swastikas throwing salutes and plotting genocides and goddamn believe me I wish we had been wrong and worried about nothing but oh shit apparently we weren't and that fucking sucks.

Yes, I remember losing my shit and a lot of people saying they wanted to vote for Trump because it would be funny and entertaining.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50612 on: March 25, 2023, 04:50:01 am »

It's almost a pity we didn't have social media to preserve people's shit takes in the early 20th century

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50613 on: March 25, 2023, 11:29:09 pm »

A local city council:  "Hey you know what would improve housing affordability? Mandatory occupancy inspections on transfer, with a $200 application fee!"

The stated purpose of the ordinance is "to protect the health, safety and welfare of the citizens by attempting to prevent blight, avoid the creation and maintenance of a nuisance and ensure minimum maintenance of dwellings..."

This is a good example of the tensions in society.  Do you burden people with extra costs and inspections (especially because inspectors almost always find something to fix, incurring not just the application but also the likely extraneous repair cost, in terms of dollars and time) "for the greater good"?  So the ordinance sounds good but also puts up a barrier to entry to home ownership.

However, the ordinance also helps protect against selling homes with unexpected need for massive repair...

It's hidden discrimination.

The point is that people that the City Council WANT to move in will have a regular routine inspection, pay their $200, and move on with their life.

People that the City Counsel DISLIKE will have to rebuild the house they already bought, or will NEVER be allowed to live there legally.

It's probably also a secret damn obvious way to discourage rental property.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #50614 on: March 27, 2023, 04:19:30 pm »

just read elsewhere there was another school shooting in your country
https://news.google.com/stories/CAAqNggKIjBDQklTSGpvSmMzUnZjbmt0TXpZd1NoRUtEd2o3cnZ2LUJoSGp0V29DRzFSREZTZ0FQAQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen
3 nine years old children and 3 sixty+ years old adults murdered , may they be at peace in a better world, and apparently the shooter was a 28 years old woman that went to that school when younger...
it seems the shooter got killed.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 04:23:00 pm by Robsoie »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50615 on: March 27, 2023, 04:35:38 pm »

The statement by the police sounded that this was very much made in light of a certain past shooting. "Officers went in immediately, cleared the floors, followed the sound of firing and engaged the shooter, shooting her dead" (not a direct quote, but close). Lessons learnt, or just doing the job properly?

(Incidentally, I was with someone the other day, they were not really listening to the news when the Mississipp tornado was reported. They pricked up their ears at the "54 people dead" (or however many it was, at that time) and assumed that it was yet another school shooting... It took a few words to correct their assumption, being conscious that it wasn't really time to use either form of "It's better/worse than that...".)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #50616 on: March 27, 2023, 06:09:42 pm »

It sounds like the shooter was trans, the school was a Christian institution, and the shooter was resentful from her time attending the school.
We may have a Trans vs Christianity situation ignited here.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50617 on: March 27, 2023, 06:13:57 pm »

I’d really like an appetizer of mental health care reform, along with a side of weapons management reform, and a main course of worldview reform to re-humanize “the other.”

EDIT: sadly I think it will cause an increase in blasphemous ire - attributing things to Christ (like hate towards trans people) that are not of Christ.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 06:16:47 pm by McTraveller »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50618 on: March 27, 2023, 06:21:27 pm »

Well that explains why the cops didn't sit on their ass and do nothing, I guess...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #50619 on: March 27, 2023, 06:22:59 pm »

People are good at co-opting any kind of religion to suit their world view though.

I imagine the response to this will be thoughts and prayers, let’s do gun reform, muh second amendment, they’re trying to take my guns away, and ultimately nothing changing until the next school shooting when we go through it again.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50620 on: March 27, 2023, 06:37:27 pm »

From that same state, Tennessee:
https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/tennessee-bans-gender-affirming-care-for-transgender-youth
"Under the new law, trans youth already receiving gender-affirming health care as of July 1, 2023 will be forced to lose access to such care after March 31, 2024, in Tennessee. Youth not receiving medical care by July 1, 2023 will be unable to begin receiving care in Tennessee."

This fire has been burning for a long time, and it's a testament to our respect for "the other" and life in general that so many of us died politely before one person responded like this.

This is WHY they criminalize our existence: to make us die politely, or act desperately.  When we're allowed to live in peace, bigotry fades.  So they forced the issue.

Death before detransition.

That said, the shooter sure fucked up here.  One report says they (possibly a trans man, reports differ) had a different target but were dissuaded by security.  Regardless, it's tragic that three children died from this.

Everyone's getting ready for the reprisal attacks, that "normal" amount of murdered trans people to spike up for a bit.  Children included.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50621 on: March 27, 2023, 06:53:46 pm »

I'd very strongly recommend waiting for some confirmation on that one -- from what I can tell, the entire basis for that claim is the pronouns on a linkedin page, with nothing else indicating it at this time and other things (like family/loved ones pronoun usage, which isn't a guarantee but it's got more weight than the other evidence) indicating otherwise.

It's possible, but it also wouldn't be the first time certain folks tried to paint a shooter as trans despite that not actually being the case.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50622 on: March 27, 2023, 06:54:41 pm »

I suspect the damage has probably already been done, there will likely be reprisals even if the situation turns out to be different once more info comes in.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50623 on: March 27, 2023, 07:09:13 pm »

It wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately. The whole point of slandering transfolk by claiming shooters come from that demographic is to stir up hatred and try to get them attacked, and as near as folks can tell from available data, it fucking unfortunately works.

Still, this exact same thing was tried with Uvalde, and for what it's worth the evidence of it is currently a linkedin page that hasn't even been confirmed to belong to the shooter. That's it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50624 on: March 27, 2023, 07:10:51 pm »

I'd very strongly recommend waiting for some confirmation on that one -- from what I can tell, the entire basis for that claim is the pronouns on a linkedin page, with nothing else indicating it at this time and other things (like family/loved ones pronoun usage, which isn't a guarantee but it's got more weight than the other evidence) indicating otherwise.

It's possible, but it also wouldn't be the first time certain folks tried to paint a shooter as trans despite that not actually being the case.
Doesn't matter if it is the case or not. It's already been taken as 100% true by the wrong people. I'm already seeing some people going on about how it was because of "tradphobia" and how that hate is being pushed all across the internet and people pushing "tradphobia" are the cause of this.

Why did I use that word twice? It makes my fingers feel slimy just typing it.
Pages: 1 ... 3373 3374 [3375] 3376 3377 ... 3512