Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3510 3511 [3512] 3513 3514 ... 3519

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3688515 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52665 on: April 11, 2024, 04:55:50 am »

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/apr/10/npr-uri-berliner-reaction

“We weren’t just losing conservatives; we were also losing moderates and traditional liberals,” Berliner wrote, and described a new listener stereotype: “EV-driving, Wordle-playing, tote bag–carrying coastal elite.”

EDIT: Removed assumption I made that was wrong in hindsight. Honestly if EVs were cheaper in the US that would be at least partly correct in regards to me. I believe my words were "$10k after the tax break" or something to that effect. Well, missed opportunities, am I right? At least Ford might still do something functional so I don't have to microtransaction a ride from an oligarch's robot. I'd hope the pricing goal would persist if say protectionism restricted pricing competition but maybe we'll see. I'd again stress the correct multiyear governance strategy is one that is likely to result in a $10k~ or even $15k~  after breaks ev work banger for sale in my local market. So, go, Ford, GO! We're all counting on you!

Here's the bit about NPR:
The best things on NPR are the political and news stuff, especially Stateside because there is a dearth of State level news coverage in my life with the judicious use of paywalls in the regional papers' websites. I've found some pink slime for state news that's not paywalled, but I get that in my local paper already and that's digressing from NPR besides. The, I don't know how to put it, Cultural Impact stories on NPR are less of a draw for me but they are still quite tolerable as long as I keep the windows up around the local old people when in a parking lot, but honestly if we had a damned rap station in range I'd probably listen to that instead at least some of the time; I like a lot of these but others are just very very long and my attention varies by subject. Due to consistency I'd be less likely to change station with things such as BBC World News, which is a fine bit of journalism that talks about things I'd never have heard about along with the big headlines, the sort of thing you'd have to check Reuters to find an article about that are important issues but aren't receiving attention, but does it in a way that doesn't linger as long with compelling no doubt but also whole drive long interviews. In contrast some of the historic cultural stuff like long dead jazz musicians are the real drag on the network and a better solution than purging liberalism would probably be to split that off somehow that doesn't deny it to people who do enjoy it more than I do. An exception would be if they are playing the actual music, because I heard the best dang blues on the radio the other day and it was an old group doing new material. As a listener it would be especially sublime if a split off of that nature were to be divided into "historic and "contemporary" distinctions so to speak so, to use a quick example, interviews with Snoop Dogg aren't buried in documentaries on Civil War Era-baseball. However other subjects on NPR are less boring such as something in a similar format to what I just complained about, except with an interesting subject such as the Freedom Marches for example, or talking to experts on developments in a field of study, or even things more directly related to the Civil War than proto-baseball, and that makes for a good mix with the current events and politics stuff. There is also a macroeconomics show that's pretty short but also excellent on NPR that I haven't caught in a while. It's more some of the shows are god awful boring than because of a tilt, for example interview segments can seem like an eternity when what I'm trying to find is FM radio news so to speak to listen to when the oldies station is playing something that has burned it's charm away when I was driving pizzas around in my youth. As a final note, Fox News has been the devil itself in regards to how it has impacted me and countless others, but if it still has a good, effective, honest documentary that I somehow realize is being shown I might have watched it even if I generally disagree 95% of the time with most of the people talking in it. The entropy of basic cable programming played a role in this as well by severely limiting choice, but again, that's created an opportunity for someone else when proper effort isn't being shown.

TLDR: The news and politics part of NPR are my favorite part.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 07:35:21 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52666 on: April 11, 2024, 07:11:03 am »

Is it bad that the main bit that I took from that was...
However I did like the new Quantum Leap,
...there's a new Quantum Leap?!?!?

/checks
Yes, apparently there is. And it got a second season, which is better than some things. Of course, I'll probably never get to see it myself. But you definitely got my attention there.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52667 on: April 11, 2024, 07:48:50 am »

Yes! I don't watch much TV anymore and keep it stuck on a 24/7 news channel because paging through 9000 channels I don't get of sasquatch shows and infomercials late at night just isn't worth it. The only other thing besides is a little sportsball since the great loss of Adult Swim.

I've only seen two episodes myself, and I'm not sure what season. The orignal Leap guy is lost in the leaps you see, and now there's an organization that recreated it; I'm not super clear on it having only seen a few episodes. There was some sort of sideplot developing with a mcguffin that had a unique problem that what appeared to be antagonists could fix for a price, but I dunno how that went. I saw a pair of episodes in which a person from a previous leap recognized him in the next one some time apart, those were the two episodes I watched sequentially. I thought maybe those two plot elements were linked in a certain way due to that being unique afaik but it didn't seem hinted at in the episodes I saw and was seemingly happenstance.

I remember seeing the original Quantum Leap on one of the two or three broadcast channels. My favorite was the one where he leaped into a chimpanzee. It was revealed when he looked in one of those round mirrors used to see around corners or some other round mirror like that. I remember when I was very little and looked into those corner hallway mirrors how radical (I also liked ninja turtles) it would be to see a chimpanzee there. Of course, this never happened.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 08:02:29 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52668 on: April 11, 2024, 10:50:30 am »

Man, now I find myself missing Mythbusters for some reason...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52669 on: April 11, 2024, 11:05:51 am »

(This is by way of a "TV you haven't been watching recently" sidestep of thread. But I'll keep it short(ish) and everyone can skip over it and get back to the usual stuff...)

I also looked for Uri Berliner on Wikipedia. Apparently doesn't have a page. (Googling, and following that link, cleared things up.). This is why much of that NPR stuff didn't mean quite so much to me (being a furriner - i.e. Rightpondian), though I still I got the gist. Even though the QL bit was still what piqued most of my interest!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52670 on: April 11, 2024, 12:08:56 pm »

“We weren’t just losing conservatives; we were also losing moderates and traditional liberals,” Berliner wrote, and described a new listener stereotype: “EV-driving, Wordle-playing, tote bag–carrying coastal elite.”

This is mostly bullshit. NPR has always been liberal leaning, and the specific complaints are straight from the right-wing propaganda mill. Functionally, he's upset that NPR isn't an open mouthpiece for the extreme right. Note that the exact same complaints are said to be leveled at the New York Times, which is increasingly becoming a somewhat quiet mouthpiece for the far right.

Or, in other words, if NPR is losing conservative listeners it isn't because of the, moving left, it is because conservatives are either moving rightward or increasingly identifying as centrists or liberals because the rightward shift has poisoned the "conservative" label.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52672 on: April 13, 2024, 11:04:07 pm »

Tories try the same thing in the UK with the BBC.

I’m not sure how much of an effect it would have, they do pretty frequent funding drives (if WPR is anything to go by) and the claim is the most significant amount of money they get comes from their listeners donating.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52673 on: April 13, 2024, 11:25:19 pm »

Apparently, the organization that backs NPR, and also backs public broadcasting that airs NPR, is about 50% Government Funded.  It would be crippling if government funding ended, but not fatal.

Clearly, the Tories should fund NPR and the Republicans should fund the BBC.  :P

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52674 on: April 14, 2024, 04:14:24 pm »

lack of “viewpoint diversity” and its embrace of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives

Yeah so I've read enough, this guy is just another right-wing shithead agitation agent. His phraseology is all hip and up to date regarding the latest right-wing rhetorical directives, down to saying DEI instead of the N word.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 04:21:17 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #52675 on: April 18, 2024, 04:17:07 am »

(gonna have to try again with fewer participants)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #52676 on: April 18, 2024, 10:32:50 am »

L
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52677 on: April 18, 2024, 04:05:51 pm »

I kept out of the thread, after a certain point, but clearly I posted in the midst of that now excised conversation. Not entirely sure if I said anything wrong, but I probably need to apologise for participating. (Not sure I can make an apology that can be counted as fully sincere if I don't know my actual error, so you'll have to take this rather unsafisfactory "sorry if I caused offence"-style response, for the moment.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52678 on: April 18, 2024, 04:54:54 pm »

You were just part of the conversation, you didn’t do anything wrong. I think Toady just removes the entire conversation because it’s easier than going through posts individually and editing out problematic parts.

It’s happened to me a few times before, you’re cool unless the Toad addresses you directly.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #52679 on: April 18, 2024, 06:37:18 pm »

I didn't participate, I was busy for most of yesterday, but that's probably for the best. Spin, by the way, got banned off the Forum Games Discord a few months ago for blatant transphobia so really... It was inevitable.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 3510 3511 [3512] 3513 3514 ... 3519