Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! with Weapon Traps  (Read 2492 times)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
!!SCIENCE!! with Weapon Traps
« on: January 29, 2017, 05:56:59 am »

My initial assumption was that if something died on a weapon trap, there was a chance for it to jam, regardless of what dealt the killing blow. After testing with a unit of Crossbowmen and some wooden traps, I've concluded that the weapon trap itself must score the killing blow to jam. Therefore, a weapon trap that does not have the capacity to kill, does not jam. But, a weapon trap that cannot kill almost seems to be defeating the purpose. If the weapon trap could mangle to the point of being basically but not dead however, that would leave the enemy a trivial matter to clean up for even a raw recruit, and the weapon traps would remain unjammed to horrifically disfigure process any remaining victims opponents. Under the usual pretense of "morality does not matter when !!SCIENCE!! is underway", I assembled my prisoners in the chamber pictured below.

Within the four main cages are two Muskox Men, a Muskox Woman, and a female Ologhai captured from a siege. Surrounding the central containment are weapon traps loaded with ☼Masterwork☼, ≡Exceptional≡, and *Superior* quality Bone Battleaxes crafted at the Boneforge. (Note: The value of the bone does not seem to factor into the edge quality. I noticed no difference between the edge of a Cave Tortoise bone and a Giant White Tiger.) In the southwest corner there is a giant coyote that has been made into a Smoke Zombie from the evil clouds outside. It will provide incentive for the prisoners to move around the chamber and trigger the traps.

Upon release the Muskox Woman stumbled over a trap, and on the first trigger there was a great deal of bruising and tearing, but there were two wounds of note, primarily the right lower arm, which had its sensory nerve severed. Secondly, she was struck in the lower body, causing her to become sick. An opponent who is puking their guts up is a much easier target. She triggered the trap a second time, and again the damage was mostly superficial, but one of the axes managed to catch her in the throat, tearing apart the skin and opening a major artery. Upon the third and fourth trigger a sensory nerve was severed in her left arm and she succumbed to pain. At this point the giant coyote had gotten to her and any further data is corrupted by the damage it caused.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The first Muskox Man was a similar story, the first trigger resulted in labored breathing, a severed ear, and significant bruising/lacerations. The second and third triggers followed the pattern of causing them to become sick and subsequently pass out, presumably from accumulated bruising/laceration pain. As the triggers went on, more and more arteries and nerves were severed, both sensory and motor. Exposed small areas of the body (nose, fingers, ears) were subjected to crushing and severing. Perhaps the most significant wounds were a strike to the left hand which resulted in ligament tearing and motor nerve and artery severing, and a strike to the right lower leg, with the same damage as the hand. At this point the coyote ripped his throat open so no further data can be reliably collected.
The second Muskox Man was struck in the head by one of the axes and was immediately knocked unconscious and killed by the Ologhai. It is worth noting that the axe was only able to knock him out, and did not jam.
The Ologhai was struck in the throat on her first trigger and it was "cloven asunder", resulting in rapid exsanguination.

Those who did not succumb to their cohabitants died from blood loss, either from a direct shot to the throat, or in wounds comparable to the chinese execution method of Lingchi, with many small cuts causing a great deal of collective bleeding. It is also worth noting that Muskox Men and Ologhai are roughly three times the size of an average dwarf, so the traps may be even more effective on the exposed areas of smaller races. A hallway filled with bone battleaxes seems to perform spectacularly against lightly armored opponents, though I will need to wait for another siege to test their effectiveness against armor. It is safe to say that any uncovered area will be reliably mangled (but not result in death). However only the ☼Masterwork☼ and ≡Exceptional≡ weapons performed well consistently, and I would not recommend using anything less than either of those qualities in your traps. Although you may ask why I didn't use blunt instruments, a blunt weapon has a better chance of causing instant death through blunt force trauma to the head, and the goal here is to avoid a killing blow via weapon trap.

Preparations for a similar chamber filled with rock weapons is underway.
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! with Weapon Traps
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:17:03 pm »

Enjoyable dissertation, sir.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 05:01:58 am »

Enjoyable dissertation, sir.

Thank you, sir.

Phase 2 of the !!WEAPON TRAP SCIENCE!! has begun.

Assembled in the same pattern as the previous room, this time with a Crystal Dryad next to the Giant Coyote Smoke Zombie (to provide it with a temporary distraction so I can collect more data from the subjects.) The subjects are three Frog Men and one Frog Woman, they are all in good health save for one of the frog men who is missing a finger. The surrounding traps are loaded with Microcline and Olivine battleaxes of comparable quality to the bone ones used in the previous test, and the mechanisms within are all ☼Masterwork☼ quality. Possible that there may be better stones to use for edged weaponry, however I opted to use an abundant stone within the first two layers of my fortress as it is what would most likely be used in a pinch.

Upon releasing the subjects, it was immediately apparent that rock weapons are far deadlier than bone, as two of the subjects died within the first trigger from having their upper bodies, heads, and legs crushed.
The two who did not die were left seriously injured, with their lungs bruised and legs broken. This all occurred within the first trigger, a far cry from the bone battleaxes which took considerably longer to result in serious damage. Although it wasn't really intended, the Crystal Dryad wandered onto one of the traps and immediately suffered multiple limbs being severed, her neck and upper body crushed, and her head decapitated. The Giant Coyote suffered wounds as well, though they were superficial fractures on the first trigger. However, its second and third triggers resulted in fatality via pulping. Within only three triggers, every creature in the chamber had died, including the Giant Coyote zombie, which was surprising. In total, three bodies were stuck in the weapon traps.

In conclusion, the rock battleaxes are far, far too lethal to be reliably used without jamming. However, they would be an absolutely superb defense in the early game when your access to metal is limited and your military untrained, even against the undead, which is strange for an edged weapon.

Must consider replicating the experiment with rock large daggers, or perhaps even swords. Until then, the Gem chamber shall begin construction.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:42:59 am »

you know that spears and spikes stick far less then axes?  also rock axes are far more deadlier due to momentum and mass. basically you had 10 axe shaped hammers, neither of those stones are capable of having cutting edges according to their raws, if I read them correctly.  I don't remember for sure, but I think obsidian, slate, mica, and most metal ores can hold cutting edges, otherwise they just end up being hammers that want to cut.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:57:20 am »

In preliminary testing, spears and spikes jammed the most out of all of the weapon types because of their tendency to impale the head. And the rock axes did indeed cut things, just not always. Remember, I'm not necessarily looking for something that slices efficiently.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 01:15:34 am »

With the gem room completed, the center was loaded with Ghoul cages, as well as the back room due to the sheer number of them. All weapons are of ☼Masterwork☼ and ≡Exceptional≡ quality. Initially there were 6 men and 5 women, but the women gave birth twice while in captivity. Implications unpleasant.

The data here is so short and conclusive that I almost don't see a point in recording it, as every single ghoul died within the first trigger, without exception. These results are not surprising, as gem weapons are quite lethal. More so than iron in my experience. It is possible however that the ghouls are simply flimsy as my mechanic was able to dispatch two of them in the underground caverns with his bare hands before succumbing to the horde. Will reset and try again with hardier subjects.

Similar setup to before, this time with four Giant Floaters, a Reacher, a Lemming Man, and Giant Coyote cursed smoke zombie. The giant floaters survived for three triggers, but due to their size and odd body composition (when struck, the blades simply caused jelly to fall away) this is keeping in line with expectations. Two floaters were jammed into the traps. The Reacher and Lemming Man were a different story altogether, dying within the first trigger just as the ghouls. The Giant Coyote zombie survived only two triggers. Safe to conclude that these weapons are far too lethal for the intended purpose, but that was assumed beforehand.