Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crowdsourcing campaign peer review  (Read 1173 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Crowdsourcing campaign peer review
« on: January 29, 2017, 02:46:27 pm »

So in october 2015 I read that you can use carboxylic acid to functionalize graphene sheets. Dry ice can condense water and carboxylic acid can be spontaneously formed, and in the ball milling process the carboxylic acid is milled with graphite to functionalize graphene.

To simplify the process, I used the carboxylic acids from hemp, as cannabinoids are attached to 2-COOH. In fact, current laboratory cannabinoid isolation processes isolate the acid, but the cannabinoid sells for $40k more than the acid so the acid has been completely ignored by research, despite being the pure base for amino acids, lipids and proteins.

Anyway, nobody had got a patent on it so I provisionally patented it. The provisional USPTO patent was accepted this january (even with the hemp reference, surprisingly) and I now have 12 months to get the full patent but strike while the iron is hot right? I thought that a crowdsourcing campaign would be the best idea and now all I have really left for it is to make a video, also making an iron composite and getting tests on that: Here's the draft. I figured it would be easier to generate interest if I promote online through a crowdsourcing campaign than if I solely try word of mouth (I'm 22 and don't know too many people).

Anyway, thanks for criticism + help in advance. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:10:24 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Crowdsourcing campaign peer review
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 03:26:06 pm »

Link does not work, as no url present. Are you trying to get money for a certain patent? I don't really have much expereince of these things, so didn't quite get it.
One wheel short of a wagon

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 05:11:43 pm »

Link does not work, as no url present. Are you trying to get money for a certain patent? I don't really have much expereince of these things, so didn't quite get it.

Fixed the link, here it is again. Yeah I've already filed for micro-entity status, therefore the patent only costs $400USD. I could probably have enough money by the end of next week, but again, not much point in having a patent if my customers don't know I exist.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 05:51:21 pm »

& I dropped out of university after learning computer science logic mathematics & social anthropology.

This bit seems out of place, also might be phrased better.

I(Dakota)  have lived in three out of four hemispheres. This world is amazing & full of so many vast wonders and unexplored beauties and if I had forever to explore it I still would not be able to experience all that life has/is/will experienced( ) here.
As a classmate a few years ago recommended to me, "do what you feel and keep it real."
Again, not sure if thie bit should be in results.

I also think the first paragraph of results needs to be further forward, and the link between the material and this happening made more explicit/explained more.

Is the whole cannaboids thing a bit dodgy, btw?
One wheel short of a wagon

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 06:43:16 pm »

I also think the first paragraph of results needs to be further forward, and the link between the material and this happening made more explicit/explained more.

Moved the results personal stuff to the personal stuff in the beginning, trimmed a bit of the unnecessary stuff. Also explained the process more.
Is the whole cannaboids thing a bit dodgy, btw?

Legally, kinda. Industrially, no. Everything that I am using is currently unused.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 02:00:55 pm »

Crowdfunding campaigns are good to drum up interest in a product before its release. They're not actually good for raising funds. Particularly for something like this where it's neither a consumer product nor something anywhere near completion. Trying to Kickstart the patenting of an industrial process is a poor idea for a crowdfunding campaign on many levels.

I think what would be more appropriate for you is a business incubator of some kind - in my experience they front funds for the initial development of a potentially lucrative idea, and don't break your kneecaps if it doesn't pan out (since most ideas that make it into a business incubator don't actually turn a profit or approach completion). You do have a pitch and it sounds fairly legit to a non-expert, so you probably have a decent shot at getting funded.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:03:22 pm by Harry Baldman »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 08:17:37 am »

I think what would be more appropriate for you is a business incubator of some kind - in my experience they front funds for the initial development of a potentially lucrative idea, and don't break your kneecaps if it doesn't pan out (since most ideas that make it into a business incubator don't actually turn a profit or approach completion). You do have a pitch and it sounds fairly legit to a non-expert, so you probably have a decent shot at getting funded.

I wanted to apply to arrow electronics indiegogo thing, but my business partner just started up a contract that should net him more than enough funds to front development of it; he also knows a boffin from Haydale Graphene, and the scientist told my buddy that they make graphene batteries for mercedes-benz that are then purchased for $50k, and they're moving their HQ to Denver this year so I could just wait to partner with them and approach Arrow on a united front, because it is rather daunting being around all these monolithic (even small businesses, just ones that consist of more than a single 22-year old  inventor) enterprises with nothing more than some data and a provisional patent application.

I'm going this weekend/two weekends from now to a foundry to forge some copper & iron alloys with the stuff to make some composites I can get data from; I'm also working a job that will give me enough savings to pay for the full patent, although I have another 10-11 months on the deadline so there's really no hurry.

I'll have water filters ready by the end of the year though (hopefully sooner) & I totally will subsidize their distribution. People need clean water.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »

I wish you luck.  But yeah, you don't want a Kickstarter, you probably want Bill Gates or something.  Venture capital/business incubator people.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.