Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Newmeadow: A Community Pony Fort (An Anticlimactic End to a Fort)  (Read 6269 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Upon an Expansive Plain Under the Starry Night Sky

A lone wagon slowly lumbered along, pulled by two horses. Six figures trotted alongside, one drove the wagon. One with wings, three with horns, and three with neither. Under the expansive sky they trotted, seven little ponies driven from their homes. Seven little ponies looking for a safe place to rest. They had been travelling for weeks. The last Pony holdouts against the changelings were abandoned. The plague had been the straw that broke the pony's back. After centuries of fighting the buffalo tribes and fending off the changelings, a simple disease had laid the fatal blow. The seven that now traveled were life-long friends. They had been through high and low. Now they wandered, braving the harsh chill of a northern winter, they pressed on, looking for a place to call home.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The last Princess had died over two centuries ago. Since that time, no one had risen up to claim the holy mantle that all ponies revere. These last two centuries were full of nothing but hardships for these poor little ponies. The ruling elite had tried to cheer them up with the occasional festival, but to no avail. The ponies remained downtrodden. Even several generations later, the mood had not improved. The Buffalo, the long time enemies of the Ponies, were defeated. Not by the ponies, but by the Changeling Empires of the north. But there was little cause for celebration. It was around that time when the plague hit. Ponies died left and right, severely reducing the already low population.

By the year 249, the last two settlements of the Pony Nation, The Mirth of Cloistering, had been wiped out. The survivors left, each to pursue their own way in the wilderness. There were rumors that a few ponies had managed to learn the secrets of life and death and establish a tower in the north, but the group of seven did not dare to venture near the heretics. No, they were on their own. They would keep traveling for months, stopping periodically to rest and resupply, but they never found the right spot for their new home. They knew they would find it, it was only a matter of time before they did. But until they found it, they kept going.

On traveled that lonely wagon with the seven little ponies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to my new community fort. I'm a brony, let's just put that out there now. I enjoy the show, and when I saw the My Little Fortress mod... I had to play it. To be clear, this is my first play through of the mod. I have no idea what to expect. Now, I will try to post updates weekly, sometimes I may do more than five a week, or just two, but I will always try to do at least one.

I welcome any and all side-stories, head-canons and fan submitted content. If you wished to be ponied, just say so and I'll do my best to fit you in. The world I genned had its pony Civilization die one year before I played, so we're gonna be short on ponies for the first few years.

Now, the rules:

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Here's the World as it stands on 1st of Granite, 250:

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)

Here is a list of Named Ponies:

The Archive:

Now begins the poor story of the Ponies of Newmeadow as they try to re-establish a home and kingdom for themselves in the unforgiving wilderness.[/list]
    « Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:54:42 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
    The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • Probably writing something.
      • View Profile
    Re: Newmeadow: A Community Pony Fort
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:22:19 am »

Can I be the Pegasus? Infact, since I now know this actually has pegasi, I think I'm going to be an honourable sorta guy, willing lend a hand in everything, and help anyone in need!
    « Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:26:31 am by TankKit »
    “I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
    • Master Story Weaver
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:40:01 am »

Can I be the Pegasus? Infact, since I now know this actually has pegasi, I think I'm going to be an honourable sorta guy, willing lend a hand in everything, and help anyone in need!

Imic has the Pegasus, you are dorfed as an earth pony I think

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 11:42:13 am »

Imic has the Pegasus, you are dorfed ponied as an earth pony I think
    ...Well shit. Can I be a Unicorn instead? With the same idea as my Pegasus personality?
    “I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
    • Master Story Weaver
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:10:44 pm »

Imic has the Pegasus, you are dorfed ponied as an earth pony I think
    ...Well shit. Can I be a Unicorn instead? With the same idea as my Pegasus personality?

Sure, we have an extra Unicorn.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
    • Master Story Weaver
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 02:20:53 pm »

Journal of Ryukan Coupleskirt: Expedition Leader, 14th of Granite 250

After a horrible trek of nearly a full year, me and my friends managed to find a nice outcropping in the shadow of the mountain. A quick survey shows signs of shallow and deep metals, as well as flux stone and a stream for water. A forest is upon our western side which should allow us some good woodwork... if any of us were carpenters that is. [OOC: I totally forgot to embark with a carpenter, a total Noob mistake, we're off to a GREAT start]

As for neighbors... well, as far as we could tell both of the major world powers left are within reach of us here. Whether thats a good thing or a bad thing, it remains to be seen.

As we begin to disembark from the wagon, I decide to take stock of what supplies we have left. Its not much, but should be more than enough for us three to survive on for a year. That should be enough time for Kurol to get some farms up (a unicorn Farmer, who would've ever thought?). We also have a few chickens for eggs and a cat to help catch vermin. We also have our trusty horse who, without, the journey would've been impossible. We also have an Oxen Cow we found on the way here. I never had Oxen milk, but Kurol assures me that its safe and I agree that milk would be a well liked commodity for our new home. We also have a bunch of Dandelion Tea, a personal favorite of mine and a bunch of dandelions.

Well, with that, I need to get back to work, we're still unloading and getting stuff in order, I hope to keep this journal to chronicle to future generations (Celestia willing) on how we saved our race... or brought it to its cataclysmic end.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:09:04 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 03:03:14 pm »

Journal of Tankit:

Day 8
    We've been travelling for a few days now, me and around 100 others. The leader, Ryukan Coupleskir has been bugging everyone to keep some sort of record, so I decided to do just that. We're planning on going to spot near the Spine of Evil. Or Eggs. Or Egg. It's definetly E something, I just forgot what.

Day 47
    Damn, Damn, Damn, DAMN! We were ambushed by a group of changelings, our Millitary only barely managed to fend them off, and even then we still lost 5 people. We're now down to around 90, because last week some of them dissapeared in the middle of the night.

Day 89
    Not much has happened, it's actually quite peaceful, and I'm beggining to think we're in the cl *The rest of the pages is covered in blood.*

Day 95
    I shouldn't of written it, I shouldn't of written we were doing good, because almost as soon as I wrote it down we got attacked by what I think was a small army of changelings. Almost our entire millitary is dead, and multiple civillians had to join in the fight, and I lost my book in all the chaos. We're now down to around 50, much less than what we used to have.

Day 289
    Huh, I forgot I was keeping one of these. Well, since I last wrote in this 2 more ambushes took place, taking our number down to 20. I really hope nothing bad happens now.

Day 332
    Down to 7 people, alot less than onehundred, I only hope we can get there in time. The reason we chose this place is because it's just barely inside the border of the major world powers, making it much less likely that we'll get murdered in our sleep, we're almost there...

Day 360
    So close...

Day 365/14th Granite 250
    Finally, we're here! Even as I write this I see Ryukan writing in his(her?) new journal that she only recently got after her old one went missing, which was actually very recently, which is slightly worrying. Anyway, I'm going to go help unload and all that, see you soon Journal!

So, what do you think, good? Also, can we get some info on all our ponies?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
    • Master Story Weaver
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 03:56:56 pm »

Journal of Ryukan Coupleskirt, Expedition Leader 1st of Hematite 250

We arrived at the end of winter and the onset of spring. For now a thin coating of snow still held the earth hostage. We parked on an outcropping and took a look at our surroundings and to take in the view of our new home.

We weren't the only one there though. A group of large creatures circled overhead, giant birds with wings of black feathers. Imic said they were only Giant Crows. After consulting the Wiki Scrolls, I learned that they were not dangerous unless provoked, so I ordered no one to touch them. After a few minutes, the beasts went away. I hear that crows were deemed a bad omen in earlier times and I wonder if that still holds true today?

I order our two miners, both earth ponies and incredibly strong, to begin carving away our new home. I laid out a simple plan for temporary quarters till we could delve more securely.

The Three 3x3 rooms at the top are where our first workshops will go. That large room in the center will be our first stockpile. The crenelated room will become our first dormitory. Most would complain about sharing a room with 6 other ponies, but considering how we have spent the past year... I don't think anyone will complain. The tunnel leading down south towards that room there will be our farm. I used the surface to determine where there would be enough dirt to dig out a arm, and luckily there was one close to where we where digging our home.

While the miners where digging, I took notice of the trees. I asked Imic to come over and I asked if he knew of what variety the local flora was. He then pointed out several peach trees and a few walnut and pecan trees. I nodded and told him to go harvest as many as he could.

At the end of Granite, I took a moment to be proud of what we had accomplished here already. We had dug out the first rooms of our new home. For the first time in years, neigh, decades, I could see hope on the faces of my charge. They worked with passion. I was proud, but I knew what challenges awaited us. We could not hope to stay unnoticed forever. While we had Imic, a Pegasus Warrior of fame and his Silver Warhammer, I knew that even he was no match for a full invasion of the changelings. If we were to survive, we would need to tread carefully. The Zebras had long been allies of us in the days of old, and I hope that that old alliance and friendships can be rekindled...

But for now, I took a moment of solace and put the thoughts of the future away for just a moment. Just to see what our labors had wrought.

My elation was short lived however. As Kurol brought me some news about our new farms...

He explained that we didn't have the right seeds to plant underground. I asked him why he didn't tell me this sooner. He replied that he was just following orders and said that he thought I knew about the seeds. I sent him to build a farm outside and begin planting. I realized then that this leader business wasn't gonna be easy.

After another month I was brought a piece of most welcome good news.

Our farms were producing food. We all cheered and I ordered my private stocks of Dandelion Tea opened and served to all of us (partially because I now didn't have to be stingy with it anymore). With that small burst of life from the ground, we have reason for hope. We celebrated (probably a little too hard) that night.

As Spring comes to a close, I once again find myself looking upon what we have wrought here in Newmeadow (the lads decided upon a permanent name the night of the party). We have farms producing food. We almost have a complete Dining Hall, and we have managed to not die.

I also ordered a tunnel dug to the river side and ordered a small structure to be erected over a portion of the river so we can have fresh water even in the event of a siege (I pray to Celestia that never happens).

With the close of spring and the start of Summer, me and the lads will decide upon our next course of action.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently Ponied People:

Spoiler: TankKit (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan (click to show/hide)

We still have three Earth Ponies and one Unicorn up for grabs.

[OOC: I love how each pony has in its description their cutie marks, that makes it easier for fan art]
    « Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:13:29 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
    • Defend till the end.
      • View Profile
    Re: Newmeadow: A Community Pony Fort (Summer of 250)
    « Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 01:12:39 am »

Can I be ponied in via the name Strong Copper?

I would prefer a unicorn, but I'm interested in being a military pony.
    Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
    • Master Story Weaver
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 02:09:44 pm »

The last remaining Unicorn is a farmer, but if there's a unicorn in the hard-coded migrant waves, I'll conscript him into the military if you can wait?

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
    • Defend till the end.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 11:42:01 pm »

The last remaining Unicorn is a farmer, but if there's a unicorn in the hard-coded migrant waves, I'll conscript him into the military if you can wait?

I'm happy to do so.
    Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
    • Still sad
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 09:53:04 am »

My personality is quite similar to my pony's one. I trust people too easily, which is why my jumper stil smells of beef to this day, despite having been a vary long time ago...
    Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
    Quote from: smyttysmyth
    Well aren't you cheery
    Quote cabinet
    Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
    • Master Story Weaver
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 04:09:58 pm »

Journal of Ryukan Coupleskirt, 1st of Limestone, 250

With the close of Summer I find myself once again in my bed writing in this journal. I find it a blessing to be able to do so. With each passing season here, we become more of a fixture and the more this place becomes our home.

The first weeks of summer went by without any hassle. We were planting seeds, picking fruit, digging the tunnel to the stream's edge. Then Imic spotted five shapes approaching from the north. I ordered everyone inside except for Imic and I. The five shapes drew closer and lo! They were ponies. A family of ponies; the father, a Unicorn named Senshuken, his pegasus wife Ertal, and their earth pony foal, a lass of only 10 years, Anir. The other two were jut family friends who made the journey as well. I cast my changeling detection spell and they passed. So I welcomed them to our home.

Another week passed by without incident. I kept catching the new pegasus mason taking potshots at the local wldlife. He managed to kill a turkey, I told him to knock it off or he'll be kicked out of here, he skulled away mumbling something.

The next day the same pegasus ran into the dorm, waking me up yelling that his blots had been stolen. I asked him what bolts, and he told me his 50 odd iron bolts he brought. While I was tempted to laugh at his misfortune and evident karma, the loss was actually kinda dissapointing, we could've used that iron to forge some new hammers for Imic and Senshuken.

While I wish I could say that Summer went by uneventful, that would be a lie. Towards the end of summer, TankKit went mad. He started babbling about awakening gods, destroyed civilizations, and what-not, he made a mad dash for the mason's shop and screamed "I MUST HAVE ROCK!" he then sprinted into the stream tunnel grabbed a piece of gypsum and ra it back to the shop.

He stayed in there for about two weeks babbling about the impending doom of pony kind and the likes. The, on the last week of Summer, he emerged and gestured everpony to look at his works. And must I say that my eyes have never seen such simple beauty.

A statue of the first Noble of our land. I admired his handywork and asked how he did it. He told me that a dark blue winged unicorn with a lunar cutie mark guided his hoofs as he worked. I asked him if he felt different, he told me he knew the secrets of masonry now and that he could make anything. A few of the ponies have started calling him "legendary". I think he is, that state will go up in the dinning hall. But thats for another time journal. Until Winter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senshuken's Pony

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 04:28:43 pm »

That is so god damn perfect.

Journal of Tankit

Chapter 1:
    Since I got here, I decided to start recording these events in chapters, to show that this is a new chapter in my life. So far we've dug ourselves a nice little home into the side of the mountain, I mostly did hauling work but I was still happy to help, and what I couldn't do with my magic I did with my hooves. So far nothing bad has happened, but Ryukan has decided to dig over to the river and build a small wall so that we can still get water incase of a siege, something I am very happy that she had the foresight to do.

Chapter 2:
    I understand everything. I understand all. This world is nothing but a small part in the game, the game of the gods, some who care about us, others who don't. Luna and Celestia are gods, and Luna and Celestia care for us, while Discord is the leader of all that is evil, that much is known, but I now know more, I know who made this world. Armok. Armok is the one who watches the show, Armok is the one who enjoys in the horror and dismay, Armok is the one who enjoys the loving and the laughter, this is all but a game for Armok, Armok is the one true god, Armok is the one true god, Armok is the one true god, Armok is the one true god, Armok is the one true god. I understand everything. I understand all. Luna has helped me understand everything. Luna has helped me understand all. She told me all this, and that something wrong is happening in this world, something that will severely upset the balance. She told me to look not just to look to the past for the clues that I need to solve what the balance is, she told me to look at the beggining, the one who first led our kingdom into being, Kenis Budflute. Luna guided me as I chipped away at the rock, creating a masterpeice that is but one piece of the puzzle, and left me with the clues I need to solve.

"Let light shield you from the darkness.
    Let darkness shield you from the light.
    If you fail the world will be powerless.
    Nothing will be able to stop The Blight."

I must go tell Ryukan at once, maybe she can help me solve this riddle.

Aaaaand I need to go to sleep. Seriously though, that fey mood was perfect for what I planned for my pony. Hope this is Ok!

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
      • View Profile
      • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
    « Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 04:42:44 pm »

Dort me as an earth pony please! Someone... hah... down to earth, straightforward, gets stuff done on time, practical, etc. You can fill in the blanks.
    Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
    Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
    twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5